undergrad cs senior project...any suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

undergrad cs senior project...any suggestion

Guys I will be starting my undergrad CS senior project this semester looking for some suggestions/ideas on what project I might undertake.

Jinnah,

It depends on the school you are going to, what sort of facilities do they have & how much are they planning to fund if you start something from scratch.

Please provide a little more information as to how many people are in your group. Is it two semesters long project or three? Are you a pure Computer Science (Math minor) or an Information Systems (Business minor), as sometimes they two are used interchangeably!
    I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    - Robert McCloskey

Comment

thankyou ahmadjee, its a four member group the senior project can last for 6-7 months at the end of which it must be finished. the the uni is LUMS, meagre amount of financial help/resources would be available to us, not much!! so if u have any interesting projects in mind with these constraints do let me know. Yeah and we are all out CS Majors

[This message has been edited by jinnah (edited December 04, 2001).]

Comment

LUMS is a pretty good university!

1. Develop a Web crawler/Search Engine. You will need a computer to put your server on! Learning of Perl & other such languages will be a learning curve.

2. A program where students can turn in their assignments over the Internet. Keep track of their grades! From teachers point of view develop a 'diff' utility that can check for cheating cases.

3. Develop software, which extracts information from images & sorts those images into different databases. For that you will need information on computer Graphics, OpenGL & things like that.

4. Program a train station! Where a conflict cannot occur. Or develop a robot, which can do simple tasks as response to a dead end, move turn. Or give it vision so it can recognize between colors! There was one group in our university who did a Pepsi vs. Coke challenge, where the robot will always pick coke!

Usually in our university funding for a project is not based on just one group but a few & projects go on for years. Senior project teams take after one another to complete the finished product.
        I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
        - Robert McCloskey

Comment

1. Urdu/Arabic OCR to Unicode
          2. Databases so Images.
          3. Image matching/searching/recogition.
          4. Interface something (a robot, a house) to the internet.
          5. A Chat bot

Comment

thankyou gentlemen! we are considering Urdu OCR with a limited number of characters, we are also seriouly considering a video conferencing project that will work on a LAN that is we will try to squeeze in more videos then 1 on the bandwidth... Video compression strategies !! we have no idea as yet...........(we could add additional requirements to this etc) there were some guys who were telling us that all the code for video compression and video handling characterisics is available on the net so come up with something new!!! well cheating is certainly not an objective....we might as well come up with our own format of video. our own video player....(this was implemented by one group last year)
            learning good new tools throughly is one objective for sure but we were totally in the dark !!!

[This message has been edited by jinnah (edited December 05, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
            X