• Show
Clear All

career advice .........please

people of the gupshup world
    tell me what to do

im in my final yr of computing degree and i dno what to do when i finish

I got a few options

1) Work with my dad in the computer shop
    and try and drive it somewhere - problem is dad's old fashioned in what he does. and i'd have a very low basic salary. and i end up workin 6 days a week, round the clock

2) do an MSC - problem is im a little bored of studying

3) set up my own business - problem isnt finance, problem is dont got a team, and no real business concept\plan. but i enjoy the freedom and i got good leadership skills

4) go and find a job in IT support - problem is bit bored of IT support and not much career progression prospects but fairly easy to find IT support job

5) find a computer programming type Job - problem is i cant program to save my life, and not sure how dad would deal with me workin for someone else rather than him. but the money can be quite good and good steady income. and i only gotta work 5 days a week and work stays at work

Kya karoon ?
    doob maroon ? http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/tongue.gif

============

aa ke merii dunya mein wapis na jaana

[This message has been edited by eemo (edited December 01, 2001).]

When you say - Dad's computer shop, I am not sure what this means?

Is he a re-seller - pushing discount computers & peripherals?

Or,

Is he into network integration & service support?

If it is the latter - then based on what you outlined, could be the option until you get things sorted out and get your juices flowing again.

If it is the former, then, best off getting a co-op job in Computer industry thru your University Career & Co-op services.

Note:
    This is my opinion. Final decision should always be yours.

Comment

Moved from The Corner Room to Careers Section

Comment

well he is currently a reseller selling computers and peripherals.
        the business is very new still and he thinks it needs abt 3 or 4 yrs of work before it really takes off.
        we sometimes do some network service and support jobs. i have a contract for dec , where a company will be paying me 45\hour.
        but its only a one-off. not like im gna get these contracts often

what do u mean by a co-op job ?
        is that a US term ? cos im a UK citizen

[This message has been edited by eemo (edited December 02, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by eemo:
          well he is currently a reseller selling computers and peripherals.
          the business is very new still and he thinks it needs abt 3 or 4 yrs of work before it really takes off.
          we sometimes do some network service and support jobs. i have a contract for dec , where a company will be paying me 45\hour.
          but its only a one-off. not like im gna get these contracts often

what do u mean by a co-op job ?
          is that a US term ? cos im a UK citizen

[This message has been edited by eemo (edited December 02, 2001).]
          Dear eemo,

Co-op is a US term which, I guess, would be similar to an apprenticeship assignment in UK or something else - I don't know; it is term-limit position thru University Placement and/or Govt./Private Agencies.

My opinion - The 45 Sterlings/hr contract would lead to other contracts based on what expertise you pick up.
          And, this expertise would be invaluable in your Dad's enterprise - should you decide to join at a later date, preferably to expand on the technical aspects of his enterprise rather than discount selling computers & peri which he can rent/hire help off the labour market with no difficulty at the present time.

Additional info to consider:
          There is a general slowdown in Corporation & Consumer ITspending - projected to last into early 2002.

A Corporation wiliing to pay you the kind of money is looking into the future and sees you as part of that future. ( I am guessing because I wouldn't pay you 45 pounds/hr if I did not see a long term relationship for me.)

Again, if you are in a rut and need a change of scenery to re-charge & re-focus, this short-term contract could do it.

Comment

ok co-op job here is known as "work placement" which i did last year as an IT support technician.

its just the IT support can get really mundane, and dad can be difficult to work with. but i guess if i work for someone else, they could be difficult to work with too.

thanking you for the advice anyways

Comment

Working...
            X