Giving Negative Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving Negative Feedback

As managers we are sometimes in a position where we have to provide some negative feedback to our team members. Here are some tips on how to do that without digging yourself into a deeper hole.

Can good come from bad? Absolutely. Here are Tracz's seven tips for giving negative feedback:

Focus on performance, not personality.
    Attacking someone's attitude or personality puts them on the defensive, warns Tracz. Focus on a specific behavior instead, and provide documented examples to avoid a "did not-did too" argument. Remember, says Tracz, "If it's not written, it never happened."

Stick to the issue.
    When receiving negative feedback, "People will push your hot buttons or do whatever it takes to get on safer ground," says Tracz. Your job is to maintain emotional control and stay on topic.

Tracz suggests the "broken record" approach. For example, if you tell a tardy employee, "I need you here at 9:00," and her response is, "But you never say anything to George about being late!", then repeat your concern. You might say, "That's between George and me. I need you to be here at 9:00." This way, says Tracz, you've acknowledged the employee's concern while sticking to your concern.

Choose your words carefully.
    Avoid generalizations such as "you always" or "you never". Beware of "but". The comment, "You're doing a great job, but I need to discuss your tardiness", negates your praise. Try substituting "and" for but, or separate your sentences, Tracz advises: "You don't have to link those thoughts together at all."

Deal with single issues.
    People shut down when you overwhelm them with too much information. Deal with one or two main issues without dredging up everything that's bothering you, and the small problems may disappear as a result. "[Ask yourself] what's the most important thing holding this person back from being effective," says Tracz. "That's what you deal with."

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
    On average, says Tracz, people must hear something seven times before it sinks in. If you don't see changes after the first conversation, bring up the issue again. Still, patience is necessary, says Tracz. "It takes 21 days of daily practice to change someone's behavior."

Remember your role.
    Your role as leader is to train employees properly, remove obstacles to high performance and provide mentoring, inspiration and feedback. Resist the urge to take over another person's job, even if you can do it faster or better. The best time management tool available to an entrepreneur is the ability to delegate, says Tracz.

Recognize achievements.
    Be sure to deliver positive feedback. Let people know when they're doing a good job, even if they've only taken a small step forward. "Good behavior, rewarded, will continue," says Tracz. "Good behavior, unrewarded, will diminish."

Taken from http://www.profitguide.com/greatplace/issues_article.asp?id=599

So far I have only been at the recieving end of +ve/-ve Feed Back. While tactful delivery of feedback is important, I think ppl should trained to take it as a part of business in their employment training. I have seen countless ppl who blow their fuse when a Business manager gives feed back.

In our Company Magazine they printed an article on the front Page. "The Dreaded F Word".. It went on for 3 paragraphs Without telling which F word it meant. Funny!

It was last year, I'll see if I can get a copy now.

Comment

Please do look for it WM.
      I'd love to read the article....you've got me curious.

Comment

Working...
      X