Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Political Science Grad

Hiyah folks,

I was wondering if anyone here can help me out.Im going to finish my undergrad next year in Political Science with International Relations and Public Policy As my two areas of so-called expertisehttp://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

My question is: if I were to go back to Pakistan, would I be better of entering the Civil Service or apply directly to the Foreign office?And how does one go about applying to the Civil Service anyway?

On the other hand,would it be better if I stick around and complete my Master's before going back home(I was intitally thinking of doing my Bachelors,working in Pakistan and then returning down the line to do my Masters).

Tons of questions I know!But Im kinda lost, so if anyone can help me out, that would be great.

Hi,

I dont have an answer to the pakistan related questions as I dont know the system there.

I have a BA in Politital Science, and let me tell you, in America atleast, you want your Masters if you want to get any decent job here with that degree. Most people see a poli sci degree here as a highschool level degree in terms of finding a job. Thats been my experience.

"O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what other areas might a PS major find work in besides gov't and media?

Comment

Originally posted by Munni:

Most people see a poli sci degree here as a highschool level degree in terms of finding a job. Thats been my experience.

I think thats totally unfair. If Econ majors can get away with it then why not Political Science Graduates?!

I do intend to go for a Masters eventually but unless someone leaves me a fortune, Ill only be able to afford an "average school" for the time being. So thats why Im totally confused at the moment. I want to go to a good school to do my Masters, and I have to work so I can be able to afford it.

Ghalib, most Political Science grads who do not go into the government and media, become lawyers or executives in private firms. At least thats what Ive been toldhttp://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

There are many fields that poli sci majors can go into, like public administration, writing fields, etc.

Hollywood, it sounds awful yes, and I dont know how economists do in terms of finding a job, but after conferring with other poli sci majors, and after sending out literally hundreds of resumes, i can tell you that many companies, unless they see work experience, are not willing to hire you or pay you a decent paycheck. Again, this is my experience, it could be different for others. People(some people) see a poli sci degree as somewhat impressive for whatever reason, but those handing out jobs dont seem to. My advice to u is do an internship while studying, because they count a lot these days, and try to get in with a good company.

Comment

Yeah I thought about the Internship thing too. It's definately an option because if it can provide an opportunity to open some doors, then it's worth it. Actually thats one of the reasons why I was looking at returning to Pakistan because if you pass the civil service exam, you're at least guaranteed to have a job. I just cant seem to figure out the procedure since there's no info on the net about the Pakistan Civil Service at all!

I also read somewhere that Political Science grads tend to go on and do an out-and out MBA and head into the world of Business Executives. I dont know if that would be a lucrative option, at least now given the shape the economy is in.

Anyway, I hope we all get good jobs...eventually or else Im suing the Politics Departmenthttp://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

hehe. umm, did you try contacting the pakistani embassy in the states, and asking them to send you information on that? although im sure right now they are really busy, but you can still try. how about contacting someone in ur community, possibly someone who knows lot of people..you can ask them?

i know a lot of people who went for their MBA...its a decent degree, but do your research on it, as in job prospects, etc..unless of course u know someone in business who'd be ready to hire you upon graduation!

sorry i couldnt be of more help.

[This message has been edited by Munni (edited September 29, 2001).]

Comment

hehe. umm, did you try contacting the pakistani embassy in the states, and asking them to send you information on that? although im sure right now they are really busy, but you can still try.

i went to law school for sometime, then i just left...it wasnt for me...but i know a lot of people who went for their MBA...its a decent degree, but do your research on it, as in job prospects, etc..unless of course u know someone in business who'd be ready to hire you upon graduation!

sorry i couldnt be of more help.

*smile*
                You cant really go wrong with an MBA. there are quite a few of us here in this forum who have taken that track though from an engineering background, but at the same time MBA is one of those degrees that in my view does not limit but rather opens doors for you (as soon as the economy starts growing). Another thing to realize is that in this century I think the Bachelors degree is heading towards the bin with the Masters becoming almost the norm.

Comment

hmcq, i think im going to do my MBA too insha'Allah. I just get worried about all the presentations u have to make infront of the class!!! *SHY*

Comment

hmcq, i think im going to do my MBA too insha'Allah. I just get worried about all the presentations u have to make infront of the class!!! *SHY*
                    From a peson who was scared of making presentaions, heres a tip - Dont let it haunt you and go out there with confidence.

In the last two months I have made more presentations at school then I did in the last two years at work. its a great learning process and not only that, learning in a school environment is great because you can make mistakes, something you cant really do when you are out there in the market. And there are plenty of other students that are worse then you no matter how bad or scared you are.
                    The thing is just be prepared to take on risks even if you are not sure of what the payoff will be- too many times people limit themselves to very narrow and strict criterias in life as well as in academics, but remember whatever you learn here is just a tiny bit of your real knowledge and its the ability to learn that you gain at school not work experience. http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif
                    Mere do ane http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif.
                    when and if you do decide on an MBA and have questions feel free to post on here or email me directly. By the way I think this is the perfect time to go back to school if you are not working - very low loan interest rates and no ones hiring - so might as well wait it out in school. http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

You need to be under 25 to sit for the Civil Service Exam, the minimum qualifications are a Bachelors Degree. The test is held once a year and once you pass : you're called for an interview that is marked out of 1200. Anyone that has an average over 900 in both the test and exam, gets a call up on the different departments...starting with the highest...ie CSP, Foreign Service etc. It's supposed to take around a year to complete the test, interview and the entire selection procedure...and once you get a posting, training takes place immediately to get you ready for the job.

[This message has been edited by ManiaX (edited October 01, 2001).]

Comment

Hey thats wrong about the age ..I believe the age limit is 27.You will have to sit for Pakistan studies and Islamiat which is not as easy as it sounds.

You can sit for the exam ..at anytime ..deosn't mean you are going to get in or like what group in the CSS you get.In any case if you pass ..it takes another 3-6 months for the interview and then you join the staff academy in sept-october every year..u spend a year or so in the staff acdemy and then get posted.

CSS is not a degree though ..remember that .. you get a whole lot of power or money at times..and is a unique way of life.
                        How can a man die better than facing fearful odds for the ashes of his fathers and the Temple of his Gods?

Comment

PESHAWAR (APP): The competitive examination of Central Superior Services (CSS) 2001 for recruitment to posts in basic pay scale 17 under the federal government will commence from December 24 next, simultaneously at Islamabad, Karachi, Lahore, Quetta and Peshawar.Federal Public Service Commission sources told APP here Sunday that October 29 next is closing date for the receipt of applications forms complete in all respects.

The number of vacancies to be filled on the basis of competitive examination will be announced later.

How can a man die better than facing fearful odds for the ashes of his fathers and the Temple of his Gods?

Comment

The MBA would help for sure.In Pakistan its even more influential as far as landing a decent job goes.But its such a strain especially when youre straight out of college.People do hire fresh grads for a year or so but with the way the economy looks I doubt whether that;ll happen.Which is why the Patriot in me wants to go home to Pakistan!

Zakk,are you sure about the age?As in 100 percent?I understand there is no age limit for contractual employees in the civil service but the federal services employees are basically govt employees so they may have an age limit on enrollment right?

Comment

Yes theres a age relaxation for the CSS the last age is 28..CSS is permanent employment in Pakistani civil service the same rules do not apply as they would for contract employees. Age relaxation is available I believe for disabled people and for existing civil servants or for people having a domicile of the Tribal areas. Lots of people give CSS from the states or the UK ...you should contact the Embassies for more information. The theory examination is usually staggered over a month ..and the viva voce depends on passing the theory.I'll be getting some more information and will post it on the general forum whenever I receive it ..I'm sure there are more people interested in appearing.Oh yeah do remember if your born in Pakistan your exact Birthdate is usually not the same as the one on your ID card /Birth certificate..

Comment

Working...
                              X