Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catch 22 situation

someone please give me some advise

I recently got my CCNA, now working towards getting my CCNP. thing is I want to get a job with routers, so that I have some experience in a work evironment rather then just labs. However I am finding it impossible to find anything especially with the job market being the way it is. I can't get experience till I get a job, but I can't get a job till I get experience. :-(

I would work long hours I just want some experience. I live in London, UK.

Any ideas?

I don't know what's your background and if you are only interested to get job in any particular field.

How flexible are you in terms of moving out of London for job?

Comment

I've been working in IT for 3 odd years. Working for an ISP doing tech support over the phones, across variety of OSs including Macs, win 9x/ME NT. Mess aroud with computers at home.

Also do some adsl (ethernet version), SBS and troubleshooting wiht networked accounts, but no router exposure.

I would consider moving out of LOndon, but would prefer to stay in Town, would depend on what the job is etc.

also I wnat to get into the netowrk support side of things or network engineering

i hope thats of help

AH

[This message has been edited by ukwali (edited August 08, 2001).]

Comment

What was your background as in what was your first degree? How good are you with VB programming?

How about moving to Scotland? http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/biggrin.gif

What's your minimum expected salary? (sounds odd and u can send a PM if u don't want to disclose it here) http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

programmign or anything resembling programming and variables aint my thing:-D rest ill reply in PM

Comment

search jobs on www.stepstone.com , www.gis-a-job.com and www.michaelpage.com . I don't remember if gis-a-job has got the above address for their website but u can search it on the web. http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

Originally posted by ukwali:
              someone please give me some advise

I recently got my CCNA, now working towards getting my CCNP. thing is I want to get a job with routers, so that I have some experience in a work evironment rather then just labs. However I am finding it impossible to find anything especially with the job market being the way it is. I can't get experience till I get a job, but I can't get a job till I get experience. :-(

I would work long hours I just want some experience. I live in London, UK.

Any ideas?
              Your best bet will be Nortel Networks as they will be looking for people in September. I know how you feeling regarding Catch 22 as I have faced the same problem. You can try www.tv-jobshop.co.uk and www.jobserve.co.uk. I use both of the above and once you are registered with Jobshop there will be choice to get register with Job Channel which is been great help to me. Good luck mate.

Comment

I attended a discussion group dominated by Networking people (especially certification Gurus) and as per them the job market is really tight. Unless you have a 4 year formal degree, companies are not too much interested in the certifications.

Many disagreed!

The point is, maybe you can work towards an engineering degree and then apply?! That is, if you don't have one already.
                I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                - Robert McCloskey

Comment

ukwali,

Why dont u ask Dr. Mourad to give u some hands on training on routers. I have heard that he has just setup a lab for people to have hands on training. It will give u exposure to routers & then u can apply for a job.

BTW, interested to work in mainland Europe?

Comment

>>>>interested to work in mainland Europe?<<<<

I am!
                    I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                    - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Working...
                    X