Poor me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor me!

Okie... as most of you know that I am doing a double major in Engineering and Applied Science.

The ApplSci part is Computer Science and will finish at the end of this year.

Now I have to take electives. As I am in double Major and the course is already too long we are given an option to do electives in our field, which will count in credits towards the degree. But all my supervisers keep telling me that this isnt a good idea and there should be a little diversity and stuff.

I am thinking of going middle way by taking courses in the Business faculty (in their Info Sys dept). The best I can see is called Introduction to Enterprise Resource Planning(ERP) Systems. This includes a project with SAP R/3 (50% weight, could be an industry placement even) and everyone is really excited about it.

Now I am a hardcore engineer/Computer dude. Never touched business stuff. I am doing a management/e-com system for a small company these days but they tell me what they want and I design the system, code the software and databases. While they are happy cuz it surves the perpose and I work cheap, I doubt if its anywhere near what it should be.

So what should I do? Take the ERP Systems course when I dont even know what that is (hopefully they'll tell me). Or go back to same old computer stuff. My supervisor says that I should do it cuz when I get my CS degree with part of engineering still remaining, this will help me securing a good parttime job etc.

But them how much can they teach in a starting level course. Still learning depends on the person not on the course. Doesnt it?

Who-*confused*-me

PS. Please dont say that I have answered my questions. If I have, point them out. And I know there are a lot of ERP ppl here so do take time to respond please (Earlier the better)

------------------
    ICBM Target Coords: 27.500S, 153.017E

[This message has been edited by who---me (edited July 23, 2001).]

hmmm...I studied ERP during a semester @ Uni and loved it. IMHO, its definitely a good idea to broaden your horizons (although I wouldn't even dare to study hard-core tech subject like you do!)
    Yes, the subject might just introduce you to some basic concepts (eg. integration of deptts, supply-chains, how ERP can benefit businesses, how it relates to e-commerce etc), you might learn various new/interesting things. I say-go for it! http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/ok.gif
    BTW, in response to what you said about learning, I think, it depends not only on the course, and the students' efforts but also on the lecturer/tutor. Perhaps if you find out that lecturer is great, it could help you arrive @ a decision http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/biggrin.gif

Comment

I agree with whoever says that diversity is good especially due to a hick up in the IT industry I would suggest that taking business course won't be a bad idea. SAP consultants are quite in demand and with your background in Engg and Comp you will be able to make mega bucks with this combination. I know it is a bit difficult for an engineer to study business and economics related courses but if you just try to understand the concept then you shall not have any problem.

Comment

There are many facets to ERP systems and their implementation. The course sounds a good enough diversity tract, but maybe, in your case, you may explore the possibility of learning ABAP, which is the language used to cutomize SAP. There is a high demand and it will also fit in very well with your programming background. Plus it will give you good exposure on how an SAP project is actually implemented and customized for client requirements.

Comment

Flip a coin. Always works!

------------------
          Get Back to Where you Once Belonged!

Comment

Originally posted by khan_sahib:
            I agree with whoever says that diversity is good especially due to a hick up in the IT industry I would suggest that taking business course won't be a bad idea.
            This is a good mix. Generally, IT folks make poor managers. Those who can grasp the business side of the equation demand higher respect, money, promotions, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X