Something about Big Consulting Firms...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something about Big Consulting Firms...

Company Xyz is a big institution, and its inclinations can be decidedly bureaucratic. As one insider explains, “Management is open to things done at a local level. But if it’s something big, like a company-wide policy, you have to convince all the partners around the world to go along with it, and that’s hard.” Another insider complains, “The company’s size makes change difficult. We struggle to do things within the company that we succeed in doing for our clients. It’s frustrating to see that happen.” And the firm’s complex structure can be frustrating to navigate. An insider says, “We’re a heavily matrixed organization, so I don’t have a set boss. Sometimes I don’t know whom I’m supposed to report to. This can be an ineffective way to work.....

How do u get job satisfaction in such a bureaucratic environment?

by looking at the size of what matters most.

the pay check

Comment

Boss

there are organizational issues. some of the biggest ones being how do you act like a global company while trying to offer a good quality of life to your consultants and thus become regionalized. You need to be experts so you try to specialize and develop practice groups.

There are overlaps, and then there are other issues. The structure is complex.

Buy in from global partners in important for changes, all being equal, how and why should one region or one person dictate rules and policies without getting the support of worldwide partners. The business atmosphere and challenges are different from place to place and a cookie cutter approach does not work.

As far as being a matrixed organization, eventually you are responsible to the partner whose practice area you work in. For different projects you will have different project managers who could be from other practice areas, but aside from the project reporting you have no reporting relationship there.

The structure of these organizations may be bureaucratic and cause some headaches, but the challenging nature of projects, interesting clients, top notch training, working with a bright group of people makes up for a lot of that.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

It depends on what you perceive as being important to you.

As Fraudia has mentioned there are numerous aspects that could give you a sense of pride in what you do. Failing all else, just a sense of having survived in that environment might be satisfaction enough. http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/wink.gif

I must say though, that not all people are cut out to work in a complexly structured organization. It requires some degree of adaptability and hat-swapping to succeed. Those that require clear-cut reporting lines and responsibility advises would easily become discouraged and unhappy.

Comment

Although, the company I’m currently working with is no where near the big five but I guess I feel more content about the work I am doing. I’m making a difference and I see it too. I’m leading a team of 8-10 people but I have never imposed a hierarchy. It is a very friendly environment where we have rules and regulations and the paper work doesn’t put us to death either…..’things get done’ if you know what I’m saying. We get good first hand experiences and we are out there in the real world rather than behind a computer and taking care of formalities. I get to do a lot of things (technical and administrative) which are not in my job description but I love that part of medium sized organizations....I think I could never have gotten a better fresh out of school experience in a bigger company

Like Noman said, bigger pay check could be the only motivation …..and I don’t see anything wrong with that either….let there be some motivation than just being proud-a-nobody in a big institute.

Pir ji, I have always admired your wisdom

Muzna, there is no clear cut reporting lines and responsibility advises in consulting firms…who would know that better than you :-p…let alone the consulting firm…there are no clear cut procedures of work in the kitchen. Like you said it all depends on what is important to you and what are your priorities. Believe me there are a lot of dumb asses out there who are surviving and have survived American corporate structure.

ciao
          BoSS "looking-for-a-bigger-pay-check-argh!"

Comment

Boss

I personally believe that big consulting firms are the places to be for fresh grads, their bootcamps which last upto 6 weeks make u go zero to 60 in an eyeblink from textbook knowledge to real world. The total immersion approach is invaluable for peopel whether they stay in that firm or go somewhere else.

BIgger companies do want you to get involved in other aspects, whether is service line development, methodology creation or even getting into organizing knowledge teams or just parties for that matter,. The fact that its a bigger organization means that you have to try and do it, or someone else would do it or is doign it anyways. Smaller companies it always becomes well if u are not doing it, no one else is doing it and it thrusts you in the role. Larger firms it may mean you get to pick and choose.

I have worked in large and small companies both, smallest being less than 150 people and the largest having hundred thousand plus globally. Each has its pros and cons, depends what you value more.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Working...
            X