Working in Pakistan as a citizen of another country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in Pakistan as a citizen of another country

When a Pakistani or any other Non-EU citizen wants to visit or live in a european country he/she will need a visa. But getting a visa does not necessarily mean, that the person has the right to work in the EU. If you want to work here you need a work permit as well.

Now how is it the other way around? What if an EU citizen, like me, wants to live and work in Pakistan. I have got a visa for Pakistan, but is there anything like a work permit for working in Pakistan.

I know, that even if there was anything like that nobody would care about it, but it would be interesting to know, if one needs a document apart from the visa to work in Pakistan.

The Pakistani Embassy here in Austria told me they don't know, if there is anything like that. Any help would be apreciated.

------------------
    Umer, the Pakistani Brain of Austria
    The Pakistani Brain of the Austria (formerly known as "The Pakistani Brain of UAE")

The Pakistani embassy does not know!!!!.. thats unbelieveable... No wonder people dont want to invest in the country if our embassies are clueless.

Comment

That's why I'm asking the question here. Otherwise I could have asked the embassy. They don't know their own roles and regulations, can you believe it? http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/rolleyes.gif

------------------
      The Pakistani Brain of the Austria (formerly known as "The Pakistani Brain of UAE")

Comment

SURPRISE!SURPRISE!

I have once tried to find out whether there is any possibility for an interneship at a minisrty in PK, but the embassy didnt know.

They really send qualified brains out here!!

------------------
        If one man could go to the moon, why not send them all??

Comment

Surpriseeeeeeeeeeeeeee http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/eek.gif
          well u need connections to get a good job at anywhere in Pakistan ....and then
          rishwat.. most places... http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/frown.gif
          Life became all Gray! But NOW i have decided to paint it all over again.

I Tawt I Taw A Puddy Tat

Comment

You don't always need to have connections to get a job in Pakistan. I got a job in Lahore for 6 months without any connections. I wrote about it in another thread in Gupshup Cafe.
            But all I wanted to know was, if I needed something like a work permit to work there, as I have the job anyway.

------------------

Comment

I am not sure about the work permit, but I have seen many foreigners working for multi-national companies in Pakistan. I can find out for you.

However, one thing I know for sure that the tax rates for foreigners is different in Pakistan (as in everywhere else) and for that the employer needs to file some special forms.

Even if there is a work permit required, you most probably don't need to get anything from Austria. Just go to Pakistan on your visa and the employer will arrange the rest. LUMS gets foreign visiting faculty all the time. Its not a big deal.

Comment

Thanks for the info Peacemaker! I'm gonna be a foreign visiting faculty as well, but not at LUMS. I'll work at Beaconhouse Informatics Institute.

------------------

Comment

I guess the biq question that arises is how important is it to obtain the proper paperwork. I mean, anyone can get a NIC or even passport if they're willing to pay, so whats really stopping them to obtain these "services" and work as nationals.

What about foreign nationals who were pakistani citizens. They're extended visa facilities but will they be extended work permit (if there is such a thing)

Comment

its simple... you need a business visa..

you can get the information from the pakistan government/ embassied homepage etc.

but you might want to look into getting a overseas pakistani card... it is (or will be) available soon. you may not need a visa to work in pakistan.

Comment

Umer babo,

Kaam kee baat bataoon. When u reach Pakistan try to get a ID card (I mean Pakistani ID card). You need your father ID card to get one (but if u dont have the original ID card of your DAD then its photocopy can help you alot). Once you have the ID Card then u are pakistani national as well, phir araam kay Pakistan main job karo. You dont need to apply for a Pakistan passport just get the Pakistani ID card. When u would be in Pakistan ur cousins or friends living there can help u alot. You might need to spend some money for it but its worth it. & ya, when apply for ID card dont mention that u entered pakistan on visa etc etc ... just write your birth place "Austria".

& when leaving Pakistan then dont tell at the immigration desk that you have Pakitani ID card .. (as I speak only English with them) just speak German with them and they wont bother speaking to you & will get rid of you very quickly.

[This message has been edited by Najim (edited June 19, 2001).]

Comment

Najim bhai! Ye aap mujhe kia ulte sabak parhane ki koshish kar rahe he? I want to have the proper papers. This is going to be an official internship and I don't want to get into unnecessary trouble. What would be the use of getting a NIC? Isn't it possible for a non-Pakistani to work in Pakistan without obtaining these "services"(quoting Ghalib)?

------------------

Comment

Re: Working in Pakistan as a citizen of another country

ALL YR WORK PERMIT RELATED ANSWERS ARE HERE AT THIS SITE.

remember, do take information from the government site wheather its UK or Pakistan or any other country of the world.

BOI Pakistan

Comment

Originally posted by Umer View Post
                            Najim bhai! Ye aap mujhe kia ulte sabak parhane ki koshish kar rahe he? I want to have the proper papers. This is going to be an official internship and I don't want to get into unnecessary trouble. What would be the use of getting a NIC? Isn't it possible for a non-Pakistani to work in Pakistan without obtaining these "services"(quoting Ghalib)?

------------------
                            Hi Umar

Actually Najim is not wrong in a way, basically being a citizen of an EU country, and your parents were Pakistani citizen, must probably you still a Pakistani citizen (Pakistan allows duel citizenship).

All you need to do find documents relevant documents about your parents and apply for Pakistan ID card (there is nothing illegal about it).

But in Pakistan it normal even for genuine issue, you still need some connection to get thorough bureaucracy, i am sure your extended family or school management could help you to settle these.

Comment

Re: Working in Pakistan as a citizen of another country

LOL! This thread is more than 8 years old. I did not need any additional paperwork back then and completed my internship successfully.

Good old times.

Comment

Working...
                              X