IP-address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IP-address

I had this "discussion" with Muzna about IP-addresses. can anyone tell me what it stands for and what it is used for?????

thnx

------------------
    Don't talk unless u can improve the silence
    Why so serious ... ?

Internet Protocol, this is the protocol by which the machines communicate to each other over the internet.

Comment

Nescio - lol @ discussion.

Okay Najim.....I could have told Nescio that much!

Can someone please provide something more in-depth regarding IP addressing?

Comment

Somehow I get a feeling that the perpose of this question is not to seek knowledge.

Anyway can you make the question a bit more specific? http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

I have a book here which is 900 pages and its about IP addressing, Subnetting and routing. So its a big sunject.

[This message has been edited by who---me (edited June 12, 2001).]

Comment

who_me: it's a loooooooooooong story, but I'll just tell you the "highlights":
          a week ago I couldn't log on to Gupshup for some dark reason, that's why I sent an email to Muzna asking her what the problem was. She told me to give her my IP-address. But....I don't know what IP-address stands for and where i could find it.

to make a long story short, it turned out that it was a programme I recently put on my PC which caused the disturbance http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/wink.gif

------------------
          Why so serious ... ?

Comment

such a non serious post in a serious forum. wheres the mod!

its

c:\>ipconfig

On NT based machines (WINNT and WIN 2000)

and

c:\>winipcfg

On win9x machines

Comment

thnx who_me!!

------------------
              Why so serious ... ?

Comment

900 pages and still no answer to the original question. who--me you sure you dont use that book as a paper weight (a really heavy one at that!). http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

I would love to hear a detailed description of what IP is and who decides what and how they are resolved and so on (No Najim I am not trying to take traffic away from your forum http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif)

[This message has been edited by hmcq (edited June 14, 2001).]

Comment

900 pages and still no answer to the original question. who--me you sure you dont use that book as a paper weight (a really heavy one at that!)

I resent my beloved books being called "paper weights" http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/hoonh.gif

I would love to hear a detailed description of what IP is?

Well IP address is a unique address given to every machine on the internet (thats was the theory anyway)

Each IP is 32 bits and in 11111111.11111111.11111111.11111111 form. normally each octet is written in decimal format. Hence what you see is something like 203.135.3.2. The newer version will be 128 bits and will be donated in hexadecimal format. A part of the IP is the networks Identity and rest is individual users identity on that network. 203.135.3.xxx is the network address of paknet4 in pakistan. and 203.135.3.2 would be some computer on that network (VERY crudly speaking).

and who decides what?

Mostly users are given a dynamic IP, which means that everytime they log on to the internet, a server called DHCP Server (Dynamic Hosts Configuration Protocol Server) gives them their IP. This server also gives you yur gateway setting and the naming server.

and how they are resolved?

For ease of rememberance friendly names are mapped to IPs on DNS servers. For example
                  pak.org is 216.247.238.187 in reality. so why I type pak.org in my browser, it goes to the DNS server (whos ip we already have from DHCP) gets the pak.org's IP and connects based on IP. All internet communication is based on IPs (NOT!), atleast thats what the end user sees.

[This message has been edited by who---me (edited June 14, 2001).]

Comment

that was very enlightening, who_me!!!! http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/ok.gif

------------------
                    Why so serious ... ?

Comment

Re: IP-address

Originally posted by NeSCio View Post
                      I had this "discussion" with Muzna about IP-addresses. can anyone tell me what it stands for and what it is used for?????

thnx

------------------
                      IP stands for Internet Protocol.An IP address or a IP number means is a set of numbers separated by three dots(.) that is used to identify the particular IP on the Internet.An IP address is, as such, generally shown as 4 octets of numbers from 0-255 represented in decimal form instead of binary form.IP address is of two types,Internal IP and an External IP.Internal IP is one that each device like computer,printer has.When you goto Start-->Run-->cmd-->ipconfig you can get your internal IP.The external IP is the one through which one gets connected to the internet.The External IP is got from the ISP and is classified into static and dynamic where static IP does not tend to change and the dynamic IP varies each time the modem is switched ON and OFF.You can check for your IP using Ip-details.com and confirm your public IP.

Comment

I think they figured it out about 12 years ago, but thank you anyways.
                        Your friendly neighbourhood fraudiya loafer luccha lufanga awara ayaash aubaash ghunda badmaash man

Comment

Re: IP-address

Wildness..!!

Comment

Working...
                          X