Can anyone advise ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone advise ...

Salaams everyone. I have a cousin who earlier this year got immigration to Canada; he is in the Toronto area (with his wife and young baby), a civil eng. and has several years sales experience in the odontotech field. Just wondering if any guppy could advise and help him in finding his footing. If so please e-mail me so I may put you in contact with him. Many thanks in advance for your help.

ghalib, hmcq and blackzero are among the civil engineers here. lets see what advise they can offer.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

THe odontotech field???? whats that. can you ask your cousin what he did.

As far as Civil Engineering is concerned its not a very rosy picture in the sense that its more of a stable field now rather then a high and rising field. However, any sales or business related experience should be very useful in your brother securing a job. I dont know what the conditions are out there in Toronto but there should be a local list of Civil Engineering organizations as well as a canadian one and that should be start for his search. He might want to contact authors of articles in technical journals who are working at firms. They are more likely to be helpful to him then most HR people in firms.
      Other suggestions would be goto local meetings for civil engineers and network.

Ahhha before I forget (due to old age http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/frown.gif)
      The most important things though are:
      He converts his CV to a one page resume in standard Canadian format. there are several websites that would show what peoples resumes generally look like.Make sure there are no gramatical or spelling errors.

Also have him sit down with someone who has experience in interviewing and do a dummy interview. That should give him an idea of what he needs to work on. Other options include posting his resume on the web and doing web searchs for civil engineering jobs, there are several websites that have civil engineering jobs that I know off but they are mostly US based. He can also look at head hunters (generally I would only recommend the ones that dont charge anything) and executive recruiters to help him find a job.

Sorrry this is all mixed up but I wrote it all in a hurry. if you need more info feel free to email me directly or post on here and I will repond as soon as possible.

Comment

Thank you hmcq. I meant the dental instruments field.
        I have passed him your info. If there is a guppy in the Toronto area he can talk to directly, that would be useful too.
        Any more suggestions guppies?

Comment

Ohh you mean Orthodontics. I think I am a bit lost here. Does your relative work as a civil engineer or as a dentist or something else?

Comment

>>>Just wondering if any guppy could advise and help him in finding his footing..

hmmm.... intresting choice of words... http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

HMCQ offered some nice pointers. I have no idea what the CE job market is like in Canada but US is doing pretty good. There are numerous opptys. for CE (even w/o expereince) to get going in entry level..

If your bro. wants to get into sales, then I really don't have any background to offer sound advice. BUt if he wants to get involve in design and field work, then we can talk further. My e-mail addy is public so pass it on. I'll offer my two cents...

Comment

Originally posted by ghalib:
              There are numerous opptys. for CE (even w/o expereince) to get going in entry level..
              [/B]
              There are? Can I send me resume too http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/wink.gif?

Comment

Working...
              X