Guyz...need your help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guyz...need your help!!!

For you IT people out there...I need some suggestions. My 3rd year of univ is going to start in September and this is the year that we start specializing into the area of our choice. At first, I wanted to go into the "web" aspect of IT...I would take java and a whole load of multimedia courses. But then I thought of taking another programming course and well...I don't like to program. SO I changed my mind and decided to take a whole bunch of systems courses like Business Process Re-engineering and Entreprise Planning etc. But now I'm actually thinking of going back to the "web" aspect because I really enjoy it.

What should I do?? Can you guys share your thoughts????

------------------
    Surah 2 Verse 201: "And there are some who say Our Lord! Grant us good in this world and good in the hereafter and save us from the punishment of the fire."
    22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

Hinna, you should take courses which you like the most i.e. Web stuff but you should try to take some other courses like Business Management etc. because at the end of the day you are making your choices open to get the best job.

It is nice to work for something that you like.

Take my example, I like my work but wouldn't mind becoming a BBC presenter for the Travel Program. http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

well khan..I've already taken all of my business courses that I needed..well that I had to take..ie (management, 2 accountings, bus. law, marketing, stats etc etc etc)!! The only 2 that I still have to take are my 2 economics courses...

Is it logical to just focus in on the web aspect though?? I mean...am I guaranteed a good, secure job?? hell..are any jobs in the IT sector secure these days??

------------------
      Surah 2 Verse 201: "And there are some who say Our Lord! Grant us good in this world and good in the hereafter and save us from the punishment of the fire."
      22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

Comment

Originally posted by Hinna:

Is it logical to just focus in on the web aspect though?? I mean...am I guaranteed a good, secure job?? hell..are any jobs in the IT sector secure these days??

Hmm I guess if yur good at what you do.... surely yur job will be secure. Thats why if yur gonna find an IT job...try to focus and specialize on a field...(web for example)

Comment

Hinna, I agree with WM but remember that no one can guarantee anything. It's Allah who can give you this guarantee. All we can do is to maximise probability of getting a job.

Comment

true...but it doesn't solve my dilema!! http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/frown.gif

------------------

Comment

A very big thing in IT is liking what you do. In my opinion every lallu panju cant be a good IT person. You have to have that love for it and enjoy it. I will strongly suggest doing the web based course that you enjoyed.

As for work. Well the recent recession has scared off a lot of people. Like for me it was pretty good. Quite a lot of people who were in IT studies cuz they were just following the crowed left (ppl usually changed from hardcore CS to MIS etc, towards management). Leaves me in a better position. And the recession was in full swing when I got two industry projects. I wanna have this every week http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/tongue.gif (if it goes the same everytime).

So I would say dont worry about it. And do what you like.

Comment

If you head off into hard core programming most likely then not you will always have a good job as there is always demand for people who can start from the basics and understand it.
                The other aspect of IT is been able to sell and make IT work practical and this is where your business oriented jobs are very useful. This is also less technical and tends to give you greater upwards mobility depending on how well you do. But at the same time business related jobs are more tied with performance then regular jobs and so people get fired faster if they are not good at it.

No one can tell you whats best for you but I woulds suggest you take the advise given here and also talk to your career adviser to see what he/she thinks the future holds for people doing IT. And think about what kind of a job you want to do in life and where it would fit into the rest of your life (ie family and other fun stuff http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif).

Remember very often what we plan to do in school hits a reality wall as we come out of school so dont be too worried about getting a job and stuff.. most likely then not you will have a different prespective about life after you have worked a couple of years. Also since this is your first degree there is a lot of room to develop further by doing something different in your second degree if you decide to do that.

personally with IT i would be more concerned about what I would enjoy doing rather then what would get a job, cause in most cases if you enjoy something you tend to be good at it and hence in demand!!! http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

thanx for the advice guys!! I really appreciate it!

Hmcq, well I'm not totally going into the programming area..well I dunno..would you call it that??? vb, c++, java next semester..html (all types), javascript...maybe xml and asp. Okie..ya I'm going into the programming area although I really don't enjoy hard core programming (c++).

I do love web design though...and at the moment I'm fooling around with different types of software..and I just got a book on dhtml...

And you know I told my mom what I was going to do..and then she's like..there isn't any demand for web design/multimedia ...go into the systems analyst field etc etc....

------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X