Clear All

Petrified of Interviews

..oh what to do?????

------------------
    "To Allah belongs the kingdom of the heavens and the earth. He creates
    what He wills. He bestows female (offspring) upon whom He wills, and
    bestows male (offspring) upon whom He wills. Or He bestows both males and
    females, and He renders barren who He wills. Verily, He is the All-Knower
    and is Able to do all things." (Ash-Shura 42:49-50)
    22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

practice with a camcorder.......

Comment

practise with a friend, and then a friend's friend who you dont know. use career center at uni for mock interviews.

and remember this, in most cases..the interviewer is petrified as well http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Interviews are scary for most people, mostly because they really don't know what to expect. When you walk into an interview, you've got to have already done your homework.

1. Research the company and be familiar with industry trends.

2. Understand the position, if you don't have the interviewer clearly explain it in detail.

3. Find out what type of interview it is and the format, i.e- behavioral.

4. Talk to people who have interviewed with that company before, like friends a bit older than you.

5. Check out your career center resources. They have a ton of resources, sometimes its intimidating.

6. There are some really good books too, just pick one up at the bookstore and skim thru the entire book. They will guide you thru the preparation process and what questions to expect.

7. The more you prepare before the interview, more favorable the outcome.

Hope this helps!
        Yasmine

Comment

Thanx for the tips guys. I've done one interview in my entire life and I was sooooo scared--I sweat through my shirt, my voice cracked, my hands were sweaty--i'm so sure that the guy conducting the interview had to wash his hand after shaking mine.

------------------
          22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

Comment

ummm....for the cracking voice...... Just a big SIP of coke works real good.... I use it when ever there is an interview or a presentation. But pleasee dont finish the thing...it'll make you sick. a confident voice is a big +ve

Comment

I'll remember the coke tip http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

What about preparing for interviews where you are asked to show your skills--ie programming something?

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Hinna:

What about preparing for interviews where you are asked to show your skills--ie programming something?

Most of the time they'll ask you conceptual stuff. If the question is not VERY specific, keep the answer simple.

Last year they were interviewing engineers for Industry based year and he asked me "There is a big tank and liquid pulp flows in through a pipe how would you control the level in the tank?" ...... it took me 3 seconds to say "A float valve as in toilet floats". later on after the interview he told me that I was the only one who had given the answer he wanted. People had been giving him all sort of stuff from electronic sensors to logic controllers.
                (between gupshup and me.... I didnt know any better than toilet floats anyway http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/tongue.gif http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/wink.gif )

The point being most probably the interviewer knows more than you in a technical interview. Keeping it simple avoids making conceptual mistakes, which he'll catch in no time if you do.

I have never had to write a program in a interview. Dunno about the US.

[This message has been edited by who---me (edited May 08, 2001).]

Comment

thanx for the tips who http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X