C.V question

whats a good font size?

i'm using 12, but i like 10.

whatever

Comment

exactly the response i was looking for :frown:

Comment

http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Actually this is true... if u go by textbooks, u can have your resume in 12 or 10 with Arial or Times New Roman or any other TT font.

If you plan to fax your resume a lot, stick with 12 (no underlines pls).

Otherwise both 10 or 12 are fine. Make sure u use clear spaces intelligently, as they are used to highlight important parts of your resume.

Just in case, develop a resume in plain text (margin 5") with no TABS used (just SPACEBAR). Comes in handy when u have to paste your resume on a website or paste it in an email. Got it?

Comment

nomaan, use Times New Roman font with 10 point size. Gives you more room and is more conventionally used compared to Arial. Don't use any out of the ordinary font just to catch eyes of the reader - that won't have any positive impact except your being coming up as a clown.

Comment

thank you guys

Comment

NOmaan it also depends on what type of field you may be in. If it is a creative field like advertising or graphic deisgn..you want to be a little bit different.

The fact is that if it is a paper resume, it has to stand out from a stack of others in a stack while not sticking out like a sore thumb, it should attract attention.

I had to review the entire class of Northwestern's MBA grads to shortlist it to 100 which then as a group we were going to shortlist to 20 or so that we wanted to invite for campus interviews. What I did was confirmed by HR and recruitment groups that if a resume fails to get attention in teh first 5-10 seconds, it is not going to make it.

People have used Book antiqua font for a bit more creative position or company while not sticking out like asore thumb, it has certain uniqueness that is nice.

More so than just the font hoqwever is how you organize the resume as well as how targetted your resume is for the jobs that you are applying for. Try www.wetfeet.com as a good resource for samples, real feedback from people in your field etc etc.

Goodluck, and one last bit of advise, dont exaggerate your accomplishments, titles, etc related to work too much, some is okay, but when people see the title "junior Executive" (a common title seen at many desi resumes) for someone right after undergrad, it kinda catsa doubr over the rest of the content of the resume as well. polishing up your accomplishments as well as highlighting different facets of the experience are good based on teh type of position you are applying for. e.g. i dont emphasize the financial side of my background at Citicorp in my resumes anymore but the projects experience as I have moved away from securities and financial services in general and into consulting over the last few years.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. and good luck
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Curiosity killing the cat!!!

Hey Fraudia whats with you and wetfeet.com?
                I checked it ouw and its better then most career websites, but its not the only one. Had good personal experience or are your personally involved with it or something?

Just curious... By the way I printed out all their articles... now just to get time to read them!!!

Comment

hmcq

I can nither confirm or decline my involvement with the site.

I personally had good experiences there, but more importantly it is set up in a very intuitive manner, and there are people looking for jobs as well as people working but looking for career resources to help plan for promotions careers paths etc. In my view it makes a good place to connect with people.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

is pdf a good format to send resumes?>

like, word docs get really messed up if you dont have the right verion..

i thought everyone uses pdf, but someone called me and is like.. i cant open your resume, and told me to send it in word format..

now i'm like.. wtf?

yesterday i read that most don't like opening word attachment for fear of viruses..

like.? now what..??
                    i just cut n paste in the main body of the email???

[This message has been edited by nomaan (edited March 29, 2001).]

Comment

dunno if it's a good idea, use html to make ur resume` or CV...everyone has a web-browser and can open it...it's a lil tricky getting the formatting to display properly on all browsers, but it can still be done...

------------------
                      Every man is wise when attacked by a mad dog; fewer when pursued by a mad woman; only the wisest survive when attacked by a mad notion.

Comment

Are u searching for jobs mostly online...?

Either way, get a hold of a book titled "Dummies Guide to Online Job Search". It explains various things u need to know. Like what happens to your resume once u forward it to any employer, or online job site.

I hinted to u earlier to get a copy of your resume saved as plain text.

Unless the employer specifically requests to send resume in word format (some websites actually allow u to attach doc files), never, never send Word document. Always paste your resume in the body of the email.

PDF is a BAD idea.
                        RTF/HTML may work, but it screws up the formatting big time, cz it expands/reduces depending on the resolution used by the other person.

You gotta know about the two major software (Resumix is one) used by all big companies, how u need to use the action verbs and key words in your resume so that it shows up whenever the HR is searching for a specific knoweldge factor or experience.

The beautiful, nicely formatted resume u guys develop (in Word) is really good, only when you are passing it across the table during the interview. For electronic submission, use the plain text email, as it never fails.

Comment

Originally posted by Pristine:
                          Are u searching for jobs mostly online...?

Either way, get a hold of a book titled "Dummies Guide to Online Job Search". It explains various things u need to know. Like what happens to your resume once u forward it to any employer, or online job site.

I hinted to u earlier to get a copy of your resume saved as plain text.

Unless the employer specifically requests to send resume in word format (some websites actually allow u to attach doc files), never, never send Word document. Always paste your resume in the body of the email.

PDF is a BAD idea.
                          RTF/HTML may work, but it screws up the formatting big time, cz it expands/reduces depending on the resolution used by the other person.

You gotta know about the two major software (Resumix is one) used by all big companies, how u need to use the action verbs and key words in your resume so that it shows up whenever the HR is searching for a specific knoweldge factor or experience.

The beautiful, nicely formatted resume u guys develop (in Word) is really good, only when you are passing it across the table during the interview. For electronic submission, use the plain text email, as it never fails.
                          *sighzzzz*

Looks like I have been doing it all wrong!!!....

well.... deer aye darust are

Comment

tell me about it.

it seems kinda retarded though.pdf is the best format around..

but if those are the rules// http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/frown.gif

Comment

Some nice ideas and suggestions and ofcourse a reference to our good old wetfeet site...:-p

Ok I have a quick question....kinda related to the topic...How is a 'profile' different from a 'resume'.
                              The way I understand it ....Profiles are more descriptive, paragraph format, detailed and formal. On the other hand resumes are quick reads, bullet points, action verbs kind deal...If my definitions are correct then I feel I have passed the resume stage and I should be focusing towards a profile set up. But when I start writing it I feel I'm repeating alot of crap as my experience in the Industry is at its early stages...

Pir ji suggest some other site!
                              Also, a template of an MBA's resume relating to consulting in operations/manufacturing would help.

ciao
                              BoSs

Comment

Working...
                              X