Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Few questions related to the student visa...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few questions related to the student visa...

Hi there every1,

Just a few things I wanna know b4 I send in my visa application...

1. I am currently enrolled at the Allama Iqbal Open University's BCS(Hons.) program, previously I've done the ICS (Inter with Computer Sc.). As I've taken admission in a CIS Degree Program, the two programs above are directly related to what I'm gonna study in the US. The question is, should I tell them I'm currently enrolled with the AIOU...? Effects on visa chances???

2. May be you know it, I just got married last month. Just the 'nikkah' thing. So should I state in the visa application that I'm married...? The Nikkah registration is in Urdu, should I take it with me as a proof? Or should I have an official translation made in English? Btw, I'm just 19... would the visa couselor be suspicious about my marraige? Should I explain to him that my wife is still dependant on her parents, we still live seperate lives and this was just the official thing...!

3. There's this rule for the visa couselor which states that he cannot issue a student visa before 90 days of the beginning of classes as in the college acceptance letter. Now that should give me a date after the third week of May. Should I apply now through the courier services, and ask them for an interview date after 20th May...? Or should I wait until those 90 days to send in my application?

Hope you know the answers,
    Haydur.

------------------
    I hate signatures.

Originally posted by pakistan99:
    Hi there every1,

Just a few things I wanna know b4 I send in my visa application...

1. I am currently enrolled at the Allama Iqbal Open University's BCS(Hons.) program, previously I've done the ICS (Inter with Computer Sc.). As I've taken admission in a CIS Degree Program, the two programs above are directly related to what I'm gonna study in the US. The question is, should I tell them I'm currently enrolled with the AIOU...? Effects on visa chances???

When I applied for my student Visa back in 1991, I was enrolled in UET. I did not mention it. I do not think it will make a difference, unless you want to transfer your credits to the University here in US

2. May be you know it, I just got married last month. Just the 'nikkah' thing. So should I state in the visa application that I'm married...? The Nikkah registration is in Urdu, should I take it with me as a proof? Or should I have an official translation made in English? Btw, I'm just 19... would the visa couselor be suspicious about my marraige? Should I explain to him that my wife is still dependant on her parents, we still live seperate lives and this was just the official thing...!

I dont knwo how to answer this one. On one hand if you state that you are married, it shows that you have a reason to come back. Flip side is that they might think that you will be looking to bring your wife there as well. I am leaning towards telling them that you are married.

3. There's this rule for the visa couselor which states that he cannot issue a student visa before 90 days of the beginning of classes as in the college acceptance letter. Now that should give me a date after the third week of May. Should I apply now through the courier services, and ask them for an interview date after 20th May...? Or should I wait until those 90 days to send in my application?
    I think you should go ahead and apply now and they can set your date to appear in such a way that it is only 90 days or less before they issue you a visa

I hope this helps

Kaleem

Weather forecast for tonight: dark.

Comment

Salam-

I am here on a Student F-1 visa. The questions you asked I dont think make much difference really in determining your chances of getting the visa, as long as I know friend. But I am pretty sure your intereview does determine a lot. My friend was accepted in a better school than I was, but he got rejected. So just be ready for the interview take all the financial documents with you. You should be fine. Goodluck , keep me posted on the news. I would like to know. Get in touch with me when you come to US http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

Ok... Thanks!

Actually, I'm still waiting for my I-20, but that would be arriving in the next couple of weeks... 'cause I know that I'm in, but it's just the paper-work delay.

When I have it, and I'm about to give the interview, I'd be emailing you for a few "Interview Tips"... is that fine?

Thanks again,
        Haydur.

------------------
        I hate signatures.

Comment

As far as possible, try to provide info to US visa officer on a need-to-know basis. Don't give extra info as then they will ask for more proof for more things, unecessarily prolonging the process and complicating things.

Remember one thing. Under the US Immigration and Naturalization laws, it is presumed that anyone seeking a visit visa intends to permanently stay in US, unless he/she can prove otherwise. Also, remember that the visa officers in all the Embassies are rated based on how many visas they issued and how many of those visa-holders "disappeared" in USA. If they give you a temporary visa (B-1, F-1 etc) and you "disapppear" in USA, it will count as a black mark against the visa officer who gave you the visa.

Now, how does it concern you? The thing to remember is that you somehow have to convince them that you plan to come back to Pakistan after you complete your edication (whether you plan to or will or will not come back is completely irrelevant).

Here are a few tips. If you are the eldest brother in your family, it will dramatically increase your chances as it is presumed that in many cultures the eldest brother (or only son) will usually come back to care for the parents.

If you have a financially rich background that will be a B-I-G help. If you can show a decent bank account and properties, that will mean that you have the financial means to go to USA and study there without resorting to doing jobs and missing semesters. If you need more info on what sort of documents you should carry, let me know and I can help you there.

Your education score and the ranking of the university which sends you the I-20 are also important considerations. Surprisingly, the a better than good TOEFL score will also increase your chances a lot.

AIOU addmission and marriage are not relevant. Primarily because as Kaleem said, AIOU is only relevant if you intend to transfer credits. And in that case the visa officer can ask you for evidence that your US university will accept the AIOU credits which will create unnecessary hassle.

Re: your marriage, that will also complicate things as then you will have to prove that you have the financial resources to support not only you, but also your wife. No need to get into that hassle. If and when you intend to take your wife with you, you can easily get her a "Dependant I-20" visa, which is pretty automatic if you are already studying there. So, at this stage, keep it simple. Concentrate on your financial position and your education results to convince the visa officer.

I know many people who do not mention even if they have brothers and sisters in USA (there is a separate section on the visa form for that), as if you have bros and sisters in USA, the visa officers tend to think that you might also consider permanently staying in USA.

Hope it helps...

Comment

Well thanks for the thorough reply.

Firstly, the information I've asked... like the AIOU thing and the marraige thing, they are just required for the visa form.

Like, for example, field no. 10 is titled, "Name & Address of Present Employer or School"... so, should I write the AIOU's info in this area. And, field no.18 is "Marital Status", should I or should I not write here that I'm maried...? (I'm just not sure about this because of my age, 19, wouldn't the counselor get a bit confused...?)

Sorry, but I don't have a major (personal) bank statement to show to the visa counselor... actually I'm being sponsored by my Uncle who teaches in the U.S. and is a U.S. Citizen (note: not a green-card holder.)

And, I'm not going to apply for a dependent visa for my Wife, nope... it's just for statement.

Thanks again,
            Haydur

------------------
            I hate signatures.

Comment

Haydur-

Interview for Student Visa is usually a very simple one. I can tell you and anybody else, who is going to be taking it, in brief what the interviewer asks for- I had my interview 3 years ago.

There are a lot of myths about the interview for the visa. First of all don't be discouraged by the number of people you will see in line for the interview. You have a lot more chance than most of the people there, cuz you are applying for a student visa and not a visit visa, which are harder to get. Esp. if you are an engineering major student the interviewer will appreciate it. America needs hi-tech people.

Next thing is to take pictures with you for the visa when you get approved they can stamp it on your visa.

Now my interview was hardly five minutes long, and so were my friends'. They ask for your financial and educational documents and proofs. Take your school transcripts -all originals.

Bank Statement: Now do you know how a bank statement looks like ? Its not a letter from your bank which just shows a balance of your sponsor. It is a monthly/annual report of the inflow/outflow of cash for the account holder who is sponsoring you. So take that with you.

-Toefl score is also a MUST he/she will ask for.
              -Question: Why are you going to that particular university?
              Answer for me: My uncle graduated from University of ******, and he recommended me the school for its engineering program.

Haydur, you can come up with any answer you like, as long as it sounds legitimate.

My answer was fabricated, I had no uncle who studied here.

I had no bank statement either I had a letter from the bank just showing the balance on the account. She asked me again to for the Bank Statement- I made the most innocent look I could come up with and told her, " Thats what my bank gave to me, thats all I have" . Then she explained to me what a bank statement looks like. And I again replied, " Thats all I have" She looked at me carefully and just said "I am going to take your word for it"

So just dont be knocked out by any of the questions.
              Also she asked me what I am going to miss most about Pakistan. I told her, "Cricket. Which is my favourite sport, but I am sure I will find friends sharing same interests at the University of ******"

Keep your transcripts/report cards, financial documents handy. Be confident. You are not asking for a favor but you dont want to sound rude either. Say Goodmorning/Goodafternoon to greet your interviewer http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif It works.

Dont be scared of making any mistakes though. You are human and fallible and above all you are brave enough to make such a criticial decision of going away leaving your dear family behind. Just stay positive and with a smile, American people love 'smiley faces'.

I hope this helps, if any question comes up go ahead and post it. One of us should be able to come up with an answer. Goodluck bro.

[This message has been edited by Ghoncho (edited March 25, 2001).]

Comment

Thank you very much for posting with such details. I think I really needed to know nearly all of what you wrote.

Actually, your "no bank statement" thing has given me something to cheer about. Because my sponsor (my uncle) told me that he'd be giving me two documents to prove finances...
                1. A letter from his College showing his annual income.
                2. A copy of his Income Tax Returns.

I asked him if he'll be providing me with a bank statement but he didn't reply to dat. Anyway, he told me that 3 of his sponsored students are already in the U.S. and they had documents no difference then me, and I have a better academic background and definite family business here in Pakistan, which would both help me considerably.

Now what should I do, should I write to him and explain the importance of the bank statement, or are the two documents mentioned above fine...???

------------------
                I hate signatures.

Comment

Another question just came up in my mind...

You said America need high-tech ppl... well I am a certified member of the "International Association of Webmasters & Designers" & I have a few brainbench certs in things like E-Commerce, PC Essentials, Written English. Should I take these along with me to the Consulate...???

------------------
                  I hate signatures.

Comment

Originally posted by pakistan99:
                    Another question just came up in my mind...

You said America need high-tech ppl... well I am a certified member of the "International Association of Webmasters & Designers" & I have a few brainbench certs in things like E-Commerce, PC Essentials, Written English. Should I take these along with me to the Consulate...???

I would definitely take those certificates with me, and show it to them. I will answer the remainder of the questions in detaill http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

Haydur-

I suppose you could take all those documents including his tax papers to your interview. If he said it worked for other students, I hope it works for you too. Just in case I would suggest you to get hold of his bank documents which should help you alot in terms of proving your sponsor's financial condition. Lets see if this reply helps you. Let me know.

Comment

Working...
                      X