FORTRAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FORTRAN

how many of you have heard of and used the language? Its a totally engineers/mathematicians language but it is very fast at what it does. I would love to hear peoples experiences with it.

------------------
    Smile! cause its free

My Abba ji company used to work in fortran. I think they used it for engineering apps and preventive maintainence systems. Usually eingineers use it. and some old engineers only know fortran. Its very powerful in maths I hear....no personal experience though

Comment

FORTRAN (Formula TRANslation) was/is used principaly by mathematicions and engineers. It was designed to ease coding of mathematical equations and also to use minial resources when executing.

It was originaly designed for Computers which didn't come with keyboards or monitors (ancient times). All the coding had to be done on cards for a card reader. So it comes with dumb rules. Like you can not type more than 80 chars on one line, cuz the FORTRAN compiler still thinks its reading from a card and you can't fit that many chars on one line.

Also variable names can't be more than a certain number of chars. Cuz back then the computers had less memory than most calculators do today.

In my opinion this language is not very relevant today, though there might still be quite a bit of legacy code out there.

Comment

I have done some programming in Fortran, my college project was in Fortran. I wrote the program for Simplex Table when I was in school. I love that lang. but never got any other chance to polish my skills.

Comment

Originally posted by TTank:
          In my opinion this language is not very relevant today, though there might still be quite a bit of legacy code out there.
          well actually we use it for enviromental modeling. and most of the environmental models that I have worked with are written in FORTRAN. That might be becuase there is a lot of mathematical equations in the models and also becuase you are dealing with huge areas of land/air/water and you only have limited amounts of computer resources. I was hoping there are other people who have used the language and we could share notes. I agree the 80 characters bit though. Thats truely sucks.

by the way has anyone used FORTRAN in cluster/parallel processing. We are looking to do that and I would be interested in hearing what peoples views are on that.

Comment

Originally posted by hmcq:
            well actually we use it for enviromental modeling. and most of the environmental models that I have worked with are written in FORTRAN. That might be becuase there is a lot of mathematical equations in the models and also becuase you are dealing with huge areas of land/air/water and you only have limited amounts of computer resources. I was hoping there are other people who have used the language and we could share notes. I agree the 80 characters bit though. Thats truely sucks.

by the way has anyone used FORTRAN in cluster/parallel processing. We are looking to do that and I would be interested in hearing what peoples views are on that.
            i use it all the time. tried c++ and java but as first message says fortran is much faster when it comes to number crunching, though lacks abilities in graphics, pointers and likes. i even saw it in a computation paper. apperently same program takes 4 times in c++ compared to fortran and java takes 4 time c++. so u can see how much time u can save using fortran or doing combined programing with fortran. java does not talk to fortran. but c++ does and one can incorporate c++ program that talks to fortran in java and get a fancy program that woud respond to alphaneumaric characters, mouse and like and alos efficient.

Comment

Looked up on FORTRAN after a number of yrs. Seems I spoke too soon ...

Will have to take back the not being relevant part. http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

what do you use FORTRAN for ZZ. what kind of work? may be we exchange notes. In terms of graphics I can understand, but there is a really really good data language that you should try out if you even remotely use large amounts of data. Its called IDL (Interactive Data Language) by www.rsinc.com . It is EXTREMELY good in data crunching (you can do all that you could with FORTRAN but visually!). only problem is that its much slower at pure number crucnhing and is not a compileable language. You should try it out or if you need more info let me know. NASA use it for some of thier data analysis as well.

Comment

Working...
                X