Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sarastar
    replied
    MIS jobs usually require atleast 5 year experience plus, atleast two year experience in project management. A Lot of North American training schools offer MIS or combined degrees, so the jobs usually do end up with people who have had their training from North America as opposed to elsewhere.
    A specialization in a particular environment would probably help your chances.
    I would also try and score an internship to gather experience.

[This message has been edited by Sarastar (edited March 18, 2001).]

Leave a comment:

• azaadi
    replied
    great information Saraster.

What's your information on MIS related jobs. Lets say..system analyst?

Leave a comment:

• Sarastar
    replied
    Hi, I am work with students here in Ottawa as an IT career counselor. As per your question in terms of IT Careers in Canada, it has a two fold reply.
    Firstly, Ottawa is the HUB of all IT activity of canada, comprising of 800 companies that Solely deal with the IT industry. What one needs to understand is that the skills GAP lies within the hi-end sector of the industry. The demand has always been in what are called "hard-skills" as in niche programming, networking and R&D. The "soft-skills sector of the IT industry has fallen back considerably. Almost everyone has MCSE or CISCO certification (ie. company certification), and thus a Saturated market filled with Soft-skilled labour.
    As far as the Hard-skilled market is concerned, there is still a huge gap in demand and supply. There aren't enough people that fill those skills. Those skills include, Experienced programmers with Actual "project experience" in languages like C, C++, Corba, Python, Unix Kernel programming and soforth. Other skills like,
    Router Programming, Network Security Programming (as in actual level I,& II languages), SERVER Adminsitration as in Sun boxes, HP boxes and so on are scarce.
    So there are jobs available, but for HARD-SKILLED IT professionals.
    I have worked with several IT colleges, and industry organisations to answer exactly the question put forth.

------------------

Leave a comment:

• hmcq
    started a topic IT in Canada

IT in Canada

We have heard so much about what is happening in the US with all the layoffs from the IT firms. Whats the situation in Canada? Are there still jobs in the sector or is pretty much everything over saturated?

Working...
X