Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Careers in USA

Salams,

I am a Canadian citizen who is planning to move to the USA inshallah next year. My fiance has a H1 visa and I want to go there and work as well. My question is how difficult is it to get employement in the USA when you are not a citizen? Any tips or ideas, would greatly appreicate it.

Ducky,

If you're a canadian citizen, then life's a bit easy for you. All you have to do is find an employer willing to hire you. This employer will give you an offer letter, which will serve as a proof that you'll be visiting US to start employment with a firm which is willing to hire you. You take the offer letter to the border post along with your Canadian Passport and the agent will issue a TN visa. This visa is issued under the provision of NAFTA. I think its issued for one year period..

Comment

Thank you Ghalib, it does not sound too difficult, now the question arises is how willing are employers in the US hiring Canadians. I will inshallah do some research soon. http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

Not to disappoint you but employers in the USA are not that willing to hire any H1 Person. I have recently tried to get jobs for people and every employers said the say thing. We rather not hire an H1 at this time b/c they can find people in the USA with good skills. If a company can't find any one who is good in what that company does then you have better chances, but if you are trying to find someone in computers...then my friend you are gonna have hard time to convence someone to hire..b/c companies just don't want go throw the hassel of dealing the INS. GOOD LUCK TO YOU. If you need any assistance. Feel to write.

bye Now
        Naeem

Comment

a lot of companies offer H-1 easily.
          My personal experience with TimeWarner communication, MCI, NorthWest Airlines, Cap gemini ernst & young, and now IBM

Comment

Naem,

we're talking about TN visa, which applies to Ducky's case here and far easier to get than say your H1. True, H1 visas are not really a walk in the park but with the recent growth and shortage of workers, H1 is not as hard as it used to be. Look at at this way, US just increased its H1 quota from 115,000 to some 195,000(not sure if this is the exact figure but very close I know).

So there is a shortage but to get H1, one has to do alotta leg work. Ducky here almost has it made. Infact, he/she (sowwy, can;t tell if you're a guy or a gal) can visit US with her canadian passport without any visa.

Comment

See this for more info..
              http://www.usembassycanada.gov/nafta.htm

Comment

Salams ! Thank you everyone for replying to my topic, its great to get different opinions on this topic. I will be honest, US immigration people scare me! Inshallah with Allah's help something will come up, I will keep looking into different opportunities, maybe I should open my own business there!

Salams *BTW Ducky is a larkihttp://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif*

Comment

GOOD LUCK to you.

Naeem

Comment

Working...
                  X