UNIX - anyone know???????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UNIX - anyone know???????

hi people, i dont think i know much bout unix system..i have a job interview and the job description is somthing like this:

Manage development and maintenance of the company’s Windows 95/98 networks.
    Manage development and maintenance of the company’s UNIX operating system.
    Manage development and maintenance of the company’s UNIX based custom database package.
    Manage development and maintenance of the company’s UNIX based Real World accounting package.
    Manage development and maintenance of the company’s MS Outlook e-mail system with an emphasis on security, reliability and accessibility.
    Maintain and upgrade (as needed) all computer system hardware including servers, workstations, and printers.
    Develop and maintain e-commerce website.
    Serve as the technical resource for all information system development requirements.
    Applied research into new or updated technologies and recommendations for upgrades of current systems.
    Responsible for managing all software, bug fixes and software enhancement.
    Coordinate and maintain all backup systems.

so well i know some of these things and i dont know anything bout unix..what can i do to have a basic understanding bout the system..does anyone know unix well here? any advice???????

Yikes.

You can't seriously be thinking about taking on a responsibility that requires managment of a Unix based system with no knowledge of it.....or can you?

Will this position give you the opportunity to "brush up" prior to start date?

And what kind of resume did you submit to land an interview for a position like this? Did you fudge/pad/embellish just a little?

http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/wink.gif

Comment

well they might be looking for more then one person for this..i got this job description from their website..i didnt fudge embellish or pad on my resume..i will sendu a copy ,,if u have time u could look at ithttp://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

sorry bro, not a clue

Comment

is this a joke Sherazz? i cant find a better reason for this post.......you are applying for job which requires you to manage UNIX ops
          ' yet you dont' know what unix is.

------------------
          o©º°¨¨°º©o LiFe Is An IllUsIoN aNd ReAliTy iS a FiGmEnT oF tHe iMaGiNaIiOn o©º°¨¨°º©o

Comment

kaka ji actually i m applying to companies through my uni, so i sent them my resume also...and they called me for an interview..like i said before they might be looking for more then one person..and maybe they have different jobs..i just wrote this post here so maybe anyone here can give me a useful advice..i didnt know it was that funnyhttp://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

Originally posted by PJ:
              sorry bro, not a clue
              koi baat nahi pj bhaihttp://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

Okay Sheraz, this makes more sense now. You applied through uni and not directly in response to some ad with the above shown prerequisites.

I've got your resume. I'll take a look at it and see if there are any pointers I can give you. When is the interview?

Also....perhaps you can run a search on yahoo or google.com and do some background reading on UNIX.

I know a couple of people that could give you a general understanding but I don't know if they will have time right away to come and post here.

Let's see how we can pull together and get you ready for this interview. Inshallah we'll see that you, at the very least, feel confident going in.

Comment

Just realized.....

Sheraz,

Let's work on your resume and interviewing tips here.

For UNIX help....post a request in the Technology section. You'll find a more targetted audience there.

Comment

hey sheraz dont freak out... unix is not that tough I took its classes ..its a cool operating system just grap a Unix book and get familiar with its command its somewhat similar to DOS.. They gonna train you before you are given any responsibilty.
                    I worked in Unix system during internship I didnt even have a clue but they trained me well to cope with it..
                    Grab the unix book, read it and go to different unix sites in internet I bet you will find alot of em, try to get some idea and basic understanding of this operating system.
                    maintenance and upgradation thingy you will definitely learn by experience..

------------------
                    kutta ban gaya houn tairay pyar mein
                    sunnah chahti ho to sunoh
                    BHOW BHOW!!

[This message has been edited by sherrybaba (edited November 17, 2000).]

Comment

thanks muzna and sherrybaba

muzna for interview..if they ask me what are ur three weaknesses..what should i say..
                      thing is they might ask what r ur three weaknesses in the IT ..yeh if they asked for general weaknesses i could say girls girls girls lol just kidding http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/hehe.gif

Comment

hey sherrezz . i have some exp on unix.
                        but go to this site u will get lots of help. okay
                        its hotbot .com and then in search section try typing unix help u will get your answers here. okay dear.
                        its not that hard at all.

Comment

thanks mehak..i dont think it would be too hard..i just need the exposure u know..and u cant really learn much from books..i wish i get the hands on training somewhere..wish me luckhttp://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

Sheraz ji:

Dont panic...UNIX is not very difficult...its definitely a very powerful and robust operating system....much better than the Bill Gates' funky windows (def. not in terms of user-friendliness)..(but otherwise, the comparison would be the same as an educated intellectual woman and a blonde bartender..) http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/wink.gif

As far as initial learning goes, no offence, just grab the *UNIX for Dummies* - its the best book on UNIX you can assimilate overnight...but I don't recommend taking up the job dealing with UNIX administration until you have thorough understanding of it...

Comment

thanks eros..it would be cool if i get an oppurtunity to work with unix..dekho aagay aagay hota hai kiya

Comment

Working...
                              X