Staying At Your Current Job after....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staying At Your Current Job after....

your employer becomes aware of your interest outside the company. Lets assume that you've been offered a position in another company with, ofcourse, higher pay. You go upto your boss and tell him about the offer and your boss proposes to match the offer and then some!

Since the company is now aware of your intentions and your commitment to the company has been questioned, should you or should you not stay? If the company knows that you may opt to leave in the future, you may be passed on for "hot' projects because of your loyalty, or lack there of.

What do you guys think?!

ghalib,

Depends on the sector you're working in. For example, in the IT sector, it's very common to change your employer after 3 or 4 years (average), so nobody would be surprised to hear you're thinking about leaving the company.

As for sectors, that are less flexible I think there you have to be careful. There you should really leave after telling your boss, you're planning to do so.

------------------
    Umer, the Pakistani Brain of Austria
    The Pakistani Brain of the Austria (formerly known as "The Pakistani Brain of UAE")

Comment

3 ot for 4 yeard for IT sector?? Not from the news I get from my freinds. Its usually one year, MAX!!!

Comment

Ghalib yaar, it depends on the country and the company too.

Here in Austria there are many state run IT companies, where the period is in fact 3 to 4 years.

On the other hand, I've been with ORACLE Austria for 2 1/2 years now and there aren't many who stayed here that long.

------------------
        The Pakistani Brain of the Austria (formerly known as "The Pakistani Brain of UAE")

Comment

I don't want to disturb the two of you discussing the relative 'infidelity' of IT professionals...... hehehe... but if I could just offer one comment on the original topic, svp.

It all depends on how you break the news to your current employer. Generally its a better strategy NOT to gloat and tell him "you can stuff it, I am so good I got a better deal" sort of thing.

The most politically suave fellows do it entirely the opposite way. They go to their bosses and break the news as if in a funeral. Sad faced. "You know I really like this company, but it has been so tough lately due to (blah blah blah...gives you an opportunity to complain abt too much overtime, or too much overseas travelling <my fav> or low salary etc)... this other company has made me an offer, and since you are such an experienced fellow I thought I'd discuss it with you b4 I say anything to them"

Now this can work both ways. If you were a terrible employee, the boss will light up and say "Take it!". On the other hand, if you are halfway decent, you may expect a fatherly concern and a defence of the company's policy and a promise to resolve the dispute (esp. low salary) pretty soon. Just tighten the screw a bit by throwing in a deadline "you know, they asked me to respond by tomorrow 5 PM". This will force your boss' hands and he will usually come back to you next day with a dandy increase in salary. Worked 5 out of 7 times in my office. This way you can then decide what you wanna do. And if you choose to stay in the original company, you would have enhanced your reputation that you are such a loyal worker, that you don't leave the company on the first lucrative offer. http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

If you still decide to leave, better have a terrific new excuse .. hahahaha... Remember, bosses talk too and if u r a professional, reputations do matter. http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/wink.gif

Again, the whole strategy needs to be modified depending upon the reputation of the boss and your own reputation. Also, if you are royally p!s!ed off at your present company, you may not want to tentalize the delay and will just make a clean break "I Quit" Ta ta! http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/hehe.gif

Comment

hmmm... Here's an example from my old job:

I worked for a consulting firm in NYC. We were about 50 people strong and had offices in all two counties in the city. An architect was pretty disappointed with his salary so he ventured out to see if he can land a better paying job. Sometime into the search, he had an offer with substantial salaray increase. He brought this up with our boss and the boss matched the salaray and went above it to please him. A couple of months down the road, this dude was fired!

Now, I know he was a good worker and he wasn't fired because of a major mishap on his part. It was understood that our boss was being a major a_hole and wanted him to say no to the existing offer, work him a bit and then kick him out. Quiet evident that he didn;t need him to begin with, but as Pristine said, it varies with each situaion.

When I was offered my current job in Indy, I was situated in NYC. I pretty much went to my supervisor, showed him the offer letter and asked for his reaction. He and I knew that he couldn;t even come close to the figure so told me to think it through and go for it. But the talk did help me leave a back door open and I know I can come back because I didn't burn my bridges.

Comment

Ghalib yaar, all I can say is, that your strategy was just perfect. Well done!!

What happened to your colleague after he got fired. I hope he found a good job anyway.

------------------

Comment

Working...
              X