Negotiating Salaries - Tips & Tricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Negotiating Salaries - Tips & Tricks

Since we're starting to compile tips and tricks...I thought I'd share one that I've used several times successfully.

When you are discussing compensation and a figure is thrown at you, repeat the figure and say, "Hmmm."

Remain silent, contemplative, even a little disappointed for a couple of minutes then ask, "Is that the best you can do?"

Most of the time you will not even have to say anything past the "Hmm." Especially if you have interviewed well - and that you must have else why'd they give you an offer. The interviewer will jump in and up the figure.

Employers have enough breathing space when they are negotiating. They can easily make a $5K difference with little reflected in their bottom line. Don't leave that $5K on the table. Even a $1.00/hr will translate into an easy grand for your annual salary....piddly for the employer but a new component for your hi-fi system, or a year's worth of insurance on the vehicle.

Try it and let us know how you did.

damn $5K on insurance? either you drive a bentley, or have a bad driving record.

How much should you ask more than your last job? 10-15? where is the point a person would say no way.

another issue i see these days is that expected compensation is inquired about earlier on rather than after the hiring decision is made.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Think creative!

Muzna and Fraudia you are both right, but I guess there´s more to an interview then just the psychological warfare. Put yourself in the the employer´s place. Why would you want to hire somebody like yourself?. Well, I like to think that I can make a significant change for that particular company or organisation. So before going to an interview, I usually make a small analysis of the company, and I try to think how they could make things more efficient as well as look for new ways to make higher profits.

And when it comes to the interview I present my thoughts on the company, and I put the emphasis on how I happen to be the the one person, who can make things work for the company. Always think what´s in it for the employer, if you want him to meet your expectations on wages, etc.

If he/she can see your idea and visions, wage suddenly becomes a minor issue.

[This message has been edited by Ramis (edited November 15, 2000).]
      hmm..

Comment

She's right... $1 adds about 2000 to your yearly salary.. fight for it.

I would like to add to that "hmmmm" part from Muzna. Don't accept the offer at that moment. After you're done with 'humming" and giving the "disappointed look," ask for a little time so you can think it over for about a day or two. This will also reinforce that you're not despo...

Comment

Working...
        X