Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job Interviews - Tips and Traps...

Kullu nafsa zaikha tul "interview"

To those who don't get it the first time, read again http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

In any case, we all know we have to be proper and dignified in the job interview. We must leave a good first impression, a good middle impression, and idealy a very good last impression. But guess what? Not everyone is as bright as you and me. Look at some of the examples below...

A survey of personnel executives at 200 of the Fortune 1000 companies provided the following unbelievable but true examples of job applicant behavior.

"The reason the candidate was taking so long to respond to a question became apparent when he began to snore."

"When I asked the candidate to give a good example of the organizational skills she was boasting about, she said she was proud of her ability to pack her suitcase 'real neat' for her vacations."

"Why did (the applicant) go to college?" His reply: "To party and socialize."

"When I gave him my business card at the beginning of the interview, he immediately crumpled it and tossed it in the wastebasket."

"I received a resume and letter that said that the recent high-school graduate wanted to earn $25 an hour-'and not a nickel less.'"

"(The applicant) had arranged for a pizza to be delivered to my office during a lunch-hour interview. I asked him not to eat it until later."

"(The applicant) said she had just graduated cum laude, but she had no idea what cum laude meant. However, she was proud of her grade point average. It was 2.1."

"(The applicant) insisted on telling me that he wasn't afraid of hard work. But insisted on adding he was afraid of horses and didn't like jazz, modern art, or seafood."

"She actually showed up for an interview during the summer wearing a bathing suit. She said she didn't think I'd mind."

"He sat down opposite me, made himself comfortable, and proceeded to put his foot up on my desk."

"The interview had gone well, until he told me that he and his friends wore my company's clothing whenever they could. I had to tell him that we manufactured office products, not
    sportswear."

"(The applicant) applied for a customer service position, although, as he confided, he really wasn't a people person."

"Without asking if I minded, he casually lit a cigar and then tossed the match onto my carpet-and couldn't understand why I was upset."

"On the phone, I had asked the candidate to bring his resume and a couple of references. He arrived with the resume-and two people."

------------------
    Don't Blame me...
    C'est La Vie

I am looking around for new opportunities ( for paindoos like Fraudz and Roman, it means I am looking for a new job) and just conducted an over-the-phone interview. I think I came out a little too blunt when I told the guy that if the position wouldn't challenge me, I will not stick around for long...

Here's how it played out:

The dude asked about my moving around in the industry (3 jobs changes in 5 years). I explained that the last change was due to some family commitments, hence relocation from NYC to India-No-place. Prior change was due to the reputation of the company offering the position and the potential growth in the segment of my field. This guy asks why would you want to change jobs now and I said I want to return and experiment with Bridge and geotechnical design.

He asks what if the initial work you'll be assigned is not challengin enough.

I reply: well depends on the length of the assignement, if I see its prolonged for more than few months, and I find myself doing repitious work, I will not be around for lond. "That I promise." The last sentence is the exact wording of what I said to the dude..

Now that I think about it, I think I came out a little too blunt, but then again, I didn't want to have any misunderstandings about my career plans. Whaddyaa guys think? What might have been a little more eloquent?

Comment

Well, I dunno abt your speciality and your career goal.... but in your place, I'd probably respond "Well, I have no problems with whatever work is assigned initially, but with my kind of potential, you'd be wasting me in a non-challenging assignment. I am sure, a company as progressive (?) as yours would want to take full advantage of the capabilities of all its employees and to test us to our limits"

LOL... In the hindsight, it always seems that you could have been more eloquent. But its what you say at that point of time which is critical..

I am sure if the company guy understood where you are coming from he'd ignore 'blunt' part and form the correct opinion.

------------------
      Don't Blame me...
      C'est La Vie

Comment

Thats a nice line Pristine... you're right about the spur of he moment response. But I think your response would have been better off on this one..

Needless to say, I haven't heard from the guy.. http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

In that case... that company is probably not worth it anyway.....LOL

BTW, were you interviewed by an HR guy or by a techni guy...??

HR guys are not only useless but they'd have to go through a long chain of command to make any decision. A techie guy, on the otherhand, will make a decision in a split sec, if you are good enuf or not. If you are in a technical field, its always great to be interviewed by the 'right' person.... http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

------------------
          Don't Blame me...
          C'est La Vie

Comment

Pristine:

I actually had the interview with the owner. This was a small company with about 15 to 20 folks onboard. The interview was anything but formal, as you would expect when conducting with someone at the top of the chain, and we chit-chatted more than actualy going through a set routine of questions. I am actually in the Engineering industry so the situation you explained is a bit more applicable to IT (given the labor shortage, avg. management age and casual work environemnt) then with Engineering.. But you're right about being interviewed by the right person. The problem is that interviews are sometimes conducted by their lieutenants and right candidates are filtered for second interviews with the The Big Boss.

Comment

ghalib look into harza engineering in chicago. good company.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by ghalib:
                The interview was anything but formal, and we chit-chatted more than actualy going through a set routine of questions.
                This is exactly how i try to do interviews. The person who is being interviewed feels comfortabel after a while and looses his mask. You will get to know far more in such an interview.

My advise :
                Though it sounds like a cliché :be yourself, do not pretend.
                Try to impres by asking questions about the company / person. Prepare this : annual reports, rivals, internet site, branches, corporate relations with other companies etc. etc. This will place him in a defensive role and he will know that you prepare your work.
                Ask for a tour in the company.
                Ask what made them invite you.

If needed, do not hesitate to ask for a second meeting.

Everybody can do school/college/uni. The point is that you have to show them that you are clever and able to handle the job / practice what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                X