Need guidence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need guidence

Dear Friends, a close friend of mine who is medical doctor and now completing his MBA in Information Technology From Intl. Islamic Univ.Islamabad needs guidence in coming to USA.I have suggested he should try for student visa in a masters program.
    Can someone guide us further:
    1.What is easiest way
    2.What computer courses he should take before coming which should help him in getting a job easily.
    3.What are his prospects.
    Thanks

Buley Shah

I have asked some docs and others for advise and will post here once i get the feedback. Biggest question is..what does he want to do since his career direction and goals will have different requirements regulagtions etc.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Thanks for responding.He will pursue career in Health administration here in USA or internationaly like WHO.He is gaing some computer knowledge.

Comment

For organizations like WHO or UNESCO there is tons of info on their websites. The recruitment starts early and is fairly competetive. In most cases field experience is appreciated, not sure about computers.

If he has interest in computers as well as healthcare, there are some companies which offer ERP solutions for hospitals and medical companies. He may also be interested in companies offering services to hospitals in the IT arena.

One more thing he can look into is getting into the IT group of a major healthcare network and launch his career there.

Some consulting companies also have large practice areas directed towards healthcare industry. Ernst & Young has a rather large healthcare segment group in Cleveland.

Hope this helps.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Here's my two cents:

If he's a doctor whose done work in IT, I highly recommend that he pursues H1 visa based on his IT experience. US is not as receptive to doctors today as it was in the late 80's and early 90's. Currently, IT industry offers best prospect for jobs to foreign trained professionals. You can help him in his goals by looking for professionals recruiters who bring foreign talent into US. They charge a fee and also take a cut from the newly arrived immigrant's salary, which is fair game!

Comment

hmmm I am not so sure about that. if he is a docter, they have recently been changing the immigration regulations so that docs who work in under priviledged areas for 5 years are automatically given a green card. So in that sense if he wants to stick to been a doc he quite possibly could. However the big question there is how to get a residency here . With an MBA he should be able to look at MIS jobs over here and in Canada. good luck

Comment

This must be something which is farily new hmcq because I haven't heard about it. My roommate was a doctor from pakistan so I mingled with quiet a number of desi doctors who either had cleared their FMLE's or were busting their chops to clear them. The impression I got, and this is some 3 or 4 yrs. back, was that US is getting tougher on importing foreign docs. I know its tougher now for foreign trained docs, especially without proper immigration status, to get residency due to greater influx of local docs and diminishing Health care system.

Comment

yaara the biggest issue is what does the guy want to do since each would have a different approach.

Comment

If I were in his shoes, I will take the IT route. Its simply more straight forward where the search for the employment and neccesary paperwork is done by the recruiter.

Comment

Buley Shah

just following up to see if your friend had any more questions or needs any assistance.

I have sent a message t an acquaintance in Ernst & Young Health Care consulting group for specific advise, if he is game I can connect you guys for more specific questions/answers.

Comment

Mr.Fraudia,Thanks for your continued support.I have also sent an email to you.It will be great help if you can post further info about "HIPPA" .Like where one can find its training and job oppurtunities.Thanks again.Indeed you are doing a great service to fellow expatriates.God Bless you.

Comment

I will be in my office tomorrow so can get my hands on some studies and info on HIPAA that will be a good starting point.

There is no magic formula to HIPAA. Its just an act which will require computerization of records etc in healthcare organizations.

Training wise, I dont think there are any institutes that are offering training specifically for HIPAA.

The opportunities could be summed up as

1) work with hospital's tech staff which will be involved in these efforts
                        2)work with hospitals Project mgmt, funtional staff that will be involved in this project.
                        3) technical developers at consulting companies
                        4) Industry experts, subject matter experts in healthcare for consultng companies.

Your friend is a physician and is concluding a degree in management. This is something to explore.

The info that I will send you will just describe what HIPAA is in detail and what the impact of that would be in next few years.

Your friend can leverage the mgmt and med background when talking to healthcare orgs/consulting orgs and use HIPAA interest as a topic of interest.

Comment

yes the legislation is fairly new. it was enacted last year I believe but I think it does apply retroactively.

Originally posted by ghalib:
                          This must be something which is farily new hmcq because I haven't heard about it. My roommate was a doctor from pakistan so I mingled with quiet a number of desi doctors who either had cleared their FMLE's or were busting their chops to clear them. The impression I got, and this is some 3 or 4 yrs. back, was that US is getting tougher on importing foreign docs. I know its tougher now for foreign trained docs, especially without proper immigration status, to get residency due to greater influx of local docs and diminishing Health care system.

Comment

Working...
                          X