A career in R&D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A career in R&D

For the past two months or so, I've been working on a research project. Its academic research funded by corporations which are interested in the stuff we do.
    To be a lil more specific, I'm working in Speech Technologies, working closely with various U.S. Govt. agencies.

Khair, Research seems like something that I would wanna go into.

Has anyone here worked closely with an R&D Dept. like MSR at Microsoft. Howz the environment there?

Basically, I'm wondering how the research goes about in companies like Microsoft, IBM, and Sun.

I'm graduating next year with a Bachelors degree in Software Engineering and have quite a bit of work experience on the side Alhamdulillah. One year internship plus a year doing some contract-based consulting...etc.

Therefore, I'm not worried about finding a job but finding the right one.
    and right now, I'm defining "right" for myself.

[This message has been edited by Umar Talib (edited August 15, 2000).]
    For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

how patttt-thetic...
    apney loagoN mey koi Research ki laggan hee nahi
    Issi liye iss mulk ka kuuch nahi ho sakta heh...

I guess I'm on my own researching Resaerch opportunites.

Ciao.
    For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

Microsoft hiring practices are rather strange where they keep people as contractors for the longest time to save on their own expenses. The good thing is that you are going for R&D in technology and in corporate environment because research in academia gets severely limited by government funding and research endowments even for top notch institutions.

It may be better to get into a smaller software house and then make a move to a bigger one because to get in R&D at Sun systems etc requires a fair anount of experience.

If you want I can hook you up with a software house in Northern California that creates video games http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Hey fraudia,
        glad that someone said something...

well, I would agree that experience is priority for R & D... and most jobs worthwhile in R & D are only suited to ppl with PhDs...

well, guess wut, today is a verrry lucky day for me. I mean, its one of those days that God feels key chalo bachey ko khuush karr do.

After my research presentation here at Johns Hopkins, I've had research study offers from both Johns Hopkins and MIT and a corporate research opportunity from a large company (I was told not to tell anyone cuz its one of those companies that works closely with the U.S. Govt. ... but only that made me feel good).

I have one year to explore my options before I accept any of these offers.
        I had to tarkhaaowfy all of them and I had a good reason that I have one more year to graduate.

lekin, I guess God's heard me and I got a choice between academic and corporate research to jumpstart moi journey.

Comment

Umar congrads man ... so when do i get my treat ... hahaha .. we can check out that
          pizza place http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

Bholey badshah! http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif
            aaj jo kuuch maangnaa hai maango... treat? no problemo.

Comment

Working...
            X