What do you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you do?

From the post about 'FOB'I was just thinking that may we should tell each what we are doing and why are we doing it .
    I started uni as computer systems engineering student and then changed to computer science because I felt more interest in programming , then I developed a taste for Microprocessors and started studing them and then I decided to change to double degree i.e comp science and electronics . Recently I was thinking of finishing uni with computers degree but then because of Fraudia's advice I decided to stick to it .

I initially wanted to be a GD Pilot in PAF but due to vision issues was asked to get into aeronautical engineering. decided to go into computers, felt that I liked to work with computers but not programming. did my undergrad in Marketing and IS, MBA in strategic mgmt and international business.

Currently I work as manging consultant in e-strategy area.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

seems like everyone else is unemployed
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

well i am graduating in Dec Inshallah...with MS in computer engg

Comment

Fraud.. yes Pakistan can do without blind pilots. Man, we are talking F-16 here. But honestly, if you have a passion for flying, you should consider it as a hobby and take some lessons in small planes. There are all kinds of school. If you need any advice, let me know.

I did my undergrad in Economics, and grad work in applied economics. Work as an economist in a fairly small Boston Based economic consultancy group for their NYC offices. This is my 4th job since school and I am in the process of switching my job soon. The new job will be less technical and more managerial type. Overall, I enjoy my field of work, but lately I have felt a little bored. This probably has a lot to do with not much work and lot of free time. Our work depends on Internationally financed public projects, which for now are quiet hard to come by. The field has gotten very competitive with lot of work being done in academia where research students are doing the work traditionally done by professionals.

I have also played with the idea of going solo or with a friend to start our own firm, but I have decided that I donít have energy to take (or I donít have what it takes) such a venture. May be few years down the road.

Comment

I started my BCS degree with a hope that I will develop interest in it. Well I did. I loved programming, I loved mathematics I was crazy about choosing mathematic subjects as elective and then suddlnly I lost my passion for maths and I stopped taking maths any more no I only stick with computer subjects.
            I'll probably finish my degree next july.
            I want to be into somekind of space/astronomical/astrophysics related job.

Shezi you forgot to mention ur stupid civil engg!
            http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/wink.gif

------------------
            Do you...yahooooooo!!! ?

Comment

Originally posted by yahoo!:

Shezi you forgot to mention ur stupid civil engg!
              Stupid civil Engg...... hmmmm.. Some info for your brain

1) Civil engineering is one of the oldest engineering fields currently been practiced by humans. it was perhaps not called civil engineering by the romans by the building of the water and raod system in ancient rome are all part and parcel of civil engineering.

2) The modern improvements in the world and industrial growth in countries, have been due to a large extent because of civil engineering and the fact that higways , dams and other major construction projects were undertaken after world war 2 to build up the industry for each country. Highways in a large part in the US are responsible for the growth after world war 2 as this allowed internal trade and commerce to grow. It also meant that the amercians are a major auto producing country because they have a good highway system and had the need to produce faster methods of transport.

3) Two centuries ago there was no filtered water. The filtering of water to remove contaminants is one of the most important aspects of civil engineering that people quite often overlook. We provide clean water for people to drink!!!. if you have ever had the chance to live in a developing country you would understand how important this is for the society's functioning and ohh by the way from the aquaducts in the roman times to the current tap systems -- civil engineers plan, build and manage all of these. and in the US the water systems are considered one of the priorities in the national defense system.

4)In most developed countries, before a building is errected, it has to be signed by an architect and assessed and designed by a civil engineer.

Your house, the highways, the water, the disposal of all your wastes, to some extent the supply of electricity , airports , irrigation, habitat restoration and so on are all dependent on civil engineers.

As a "Stupid Civil Engineer" I truly wish you were without any of the facilities that civil engineers provide for a day and then you might show some more appreciation for that which you have taken for granted!!!

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHA....

Yahoo!! you had to get our HMCQ angry.... huh?

HMCQ: You go brathaa!!!!!

Comment

Thanks Ghalib for the support. I knew i could count on you http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif.

As for Yahoo.. in case that did not get thru to you here is something I dug up.

Geothecnical engineers are an essential part of the people who are requred when laying pipelines, fiber obtics, transmission lines ... or basically we halp you guys build up the "back bone" or your interent.

Commerce which is the back bone of whats creating the so called new intenet economy still relies to a great extent on the physical transport of goods and services. Transport engineering - part of civil engineering is an important aspect of this.

Enviromental engineering (not science) is part of civil engineering and relates to the effects on our world and our enviroment by the various living and non living things here. This has in recent years become a very important aspect of peoples life as we use up the resouces on earth.

There are lots of other examples that i can tell you about but think this should suffice. As far as computer engineering goes, yes its great and we do use it a lot, but it is not sufficent to have just one kinda of people.

You should really be careful when you call people stupid.

Ok i think i need a cold water bath to cool off http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif

Comment

Chill out mann http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/wink.gif
                    hmcq I bet you have some connection with civil engineering. http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif
                    Secondly I didnt mean "stupid civil engineering" I meant "ur stupid" civil engineering http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif
                    Well why did i say that? shezi knows http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/wink.gif

------------------
                    Do you...yahooooooo!!! ?

Comment

Yep i do have a connection with civil engineering. As far my post goes its bascially cause I am pretty fed up with people telling me how crappy civil engineering is and how unuseful it is (and they are mostly computer engineers for some reason -- dont know if thats cause a lot of desi are in that field or a lot my friends just went into that ). In fact about a year ago there was conference on Pakistan and the new millenium and the organizers (at least i thot) totally blew away the civil engineering speakers.

Anyways , after the reasons you and shezi have given,i suppose alls good http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smile.gif.

Comment

I am an illitrate person, I plough fields near Loyalpur, and when I reach home tired in the evening I eat dry bread (sukki rotee) with lassi.

Comment

Najim,
                          u forgot to mention the chaar.

Comment

Najim yara be serious, someone may be able to use your advise later http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

Working...
                            X