Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone deal in the UK stock market?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone deal in the UK stock market?

Hi just wondering if anyone on the forum dealt in the UK stock market. It would be nice to share some tips and discuss some of the laetest developments.

Well the company which is most gripping my attention at the moment is BT. It is highly under rated as its asset value far out strips its market capitalisation. There are alot of people (mainly banks) that see these shares moving up in the long term. The question is whether this will be soon. BT have recently restructed and there is talk of them offloading their network services division as well as spinning off (floating spearately) BT Cellnet and OpenWorld (ADSL dept). It's a bit early to tell if this will/has worked. They are suffering more than they expected to the competition in the UK, and they have no real coherent strategy in Europe. This means that relative to players like Energis, Colt and some of the Nasdaq listed European Telcos they are in a bad position. But overall, they have strong assets and are definitely worth more than the 9 they are now. The problem is that there is a lot of negative sentiment towards BT in the City at the moment, but this could change at any moment.
    I am no expert in these matters and am wary of the advice of investment banks as they have been know to want to push private investors in to test the water before they dive in themselves and scoop up all the gold!!

In my humble opinion, BT are a good long term buy, but you might do better to spread your capital across BT, Energis and Colt. Any views/comments?

I know blackzero and Khaboo do a lot of investing in UK.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Long term investing is a waste of time and money. Day trading is the only way to go, if u have the guts. And if u dont, might as well put ur money in a CD account and wait for 10 yrs. The return will be the same that u get out of a long term stock.....except that the CD is insured and guaranteed, and ur stocks are not.

Comment

Thats true until the stock market stays strong. Read about Day Traders in US who got bitten by the Nasdaq crash.

More risks almost always promise more returns.. i.e. if it is a logical investment.

Cap gain tax kills a chunk of short term investments returns from the get go, so you have to factor that in as well.

Options are another way to go, and decrease your exposure to the volatility for a charge while empowering you to take the advantage in the event of a positive result.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Day trading is nothing short of gambling. You're trading decisions are based on the price curve sliding up and down. There's no rationale for the trade other than the turn of the market. You bet that the slide will continue and its a 50/50 shot.

With the surge in interest rates, a good number of banks are offering attractive rates for money market accounts and CD's. But if you're investing for the long term, buy and hold method is the safest. Half of your profits gets taxed if you sell a security held less than 12 months. Not worth the risk sometimes.

Comment

ghalib exactly, many ppl dont factor in the capital gains taxes in their decision making.

Comment

Day Trading is a gamble only if u make it so. Long term trading is just as much of a gamble in that case. You have to know what to buy, when you buy, and most importantly, when to sell. Base your decision on real movement happening on the floor, not on some research done behind closed doors under stagnant conditions.
              Fraudia...true, day traders got bit in the US, but like i said, u have to have guts in order to go for it. Its not for the weak hearted. HK market is gunning for 24 hour trading soon, and the other day, talking to my bro in law, we joked about not enough people committing suicide, which is why HK is adopting 24 hour trading as a population control measure.
              Cap gains tax will cut ur profits, true, but whatever u make, is in ur hand....not languishing on paper for ages before u can lay ur hands on it.
              Ghalib..there are a lot more reasons to making a quick fire trade than just the turn of the market. Thats why its not for everyone. The 90s have been much like the 20s. The Internet has done the same for the stock market in the 90s as did the invention of radio in the 20s. The climax has been the same for both the eras. Just hope the two dont have a similar anti-climax.

Comment

Day Trading is a gamble only if u make it so. Long term trading is just as much of a gamble in that case. You have to know what to buy, when to buy, and most importantly, when to sell. Base your decision on real movement happening on the floor, not on some research done behind closed doors under stagnant conditions.
                Fraudia...true, day traders got bit in the US, but like i said, u have to have guts in order to go for it. Its not for the weak hearted. HK market is gunning for 24 hour trading soon, and the other day, talking to my bro in law, we joked about not enough people committing suicide, which is why HK is adopting 24 hour trading as a population control measure.
                Cap gains tax will cut ur profits, true, but whatever u make, is in ur hand....not languishing on paper for ages before u can lay ur hands on it.
                Ghalib..there are a lot more reasons to making a quick fire trade than just the turn of the market. Thats why its not for everyone. The 90s have been much like the 20s. The Internet has done the same for the stock market in the 90s as did the invention of radio in the 20s. The climax has been the same for both the eras. Just hope the two dont have a similar anti-climax.

Comment

Working...
                X