Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Climbing the Corporate Ladder - No knowledge Needed!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Climbing the Corporate Ladder - No knowledge Needed!!

Here's something that some of us can dig on. Of my three years of working with various firms, I have learned that one deosn;t need to be highly educated nor highly qualified to head a team. All one needs is the leadership qualities, which not necesarily complement with the educational background.

I have worked for managers who seem to know less about what is going on techinically but were superior when it came to B.S. their agendas into the upper management. Most of the subordinates, though quite qualified, lack this leadership, i.e. B.S., quality and thus dwindle all their lives as team members or mid-level management, if best.

Another thing I have noticed is the lack of ability of desis to manage a business. When it comes to managing a team for a specific task, desis really lack the people oriented approach to management. Because they were trained for much of their professional lives back home, they feel the best way to manage a group is to boss them around as much as you could. Point at their every shortcoming and make assume that subordinates can't come up with solutions. their job is only to work on the solutions provided by the big boss, i.e. the desi.

I'll augment this analysis with an example: When I was working for a firm in NY, I, along with some other teammates, reported to a Paki engineer. Now this guy would scrutunize everyone's work. Sometimes he would bring up some good pointers, but the lingo he used to get it across really made others feel insulted. The funny thing was that when somebody questioned his designs, he was upto throat with the sorry soul. Needless to say, he wasn;t popular in the lunch-crowd. He was later forced to resign because of his inability to be team-oriented. But this guy blamed us all for not having a professional attitude.

This, however, is not to say that all desi management is like this, just the majority which attained their training from back home. Some folks do learn to adjust very fast, but the sad part is that most don't.

Conclusions:

1) To join the fraternity of highly successful management, learn to be people oriented and BS skilled. High level knowledge is not suffeicient.

2) Desis managers really lack the modern approach to management and thus mostly fail.

Ghalib
    I fully agree with your openion about the desi managers and let me add this to it that where the desi managers need more training to be a team leader, I think the desi workers also need to learn how to respect the desi boss. When these desis work for a gora/goree boss, they are very puncual/regulate and very proficient in their work but the same desis show the sttitude if they have to work for a desi boss. When these desis work for a gora/goree boss, they are very obedient and very respectfull workers but when there people work for a desi boss, they expect lots of favors and if they don't get the favor, they become the disrespectfull. I am telling you from my own experience.

Our desis need lots of training in both fields.
    They need to learn how to be a good boss and how to be a team leade and they also need to learn how to stop pulling legs of their desi bosses.

Comment

Excellent topic Ghalib. Well analyzed and extremely well writeen.

Bhra Saqib has also added excellent input.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Rab Rakha

Jat

Comment

upward mobility in the corporate ladder requires two pre-requites - the ability to cultivate a mentor and lots of perserverance and foresight to come across as an able follower in an covert network of friendships. At the executive magagement level competency is assumed therefore the extra-ciricular skills - that bright technical neophytes deride are the essential tools to climb the corporate hierarchy.

Consequently "leadership quality" as ascribed in corporate america is the ability to maintain a fascade of organization where none exists....

Having Tried mid-level management positions - I can assure you that corporate america is not worth the trouble. The new wave to the success is the entreprenurial roller-coaster.

Silicon valley is literally paved with streets of gold .. 22000 millionaires every year - twenty something techie types who are making multi- million dollar deals., - if
        you have the brawn and the intellect - lets unleash the fury of creativity on the shores of innovation.

So what matters guys is the bottom line everything else is noise. So from corporate adversity rises the phoenix of opportunity.....

[This message has been edited by Jack Handy (edited April 02, 1999).]

Comment

Silicon valley is indeed paved with gold. Desis, mostly Indians, are carving a niche for themselves in this business and are doing a heck of a job. Even I wonder sometimes if I shuld quit my job and take a few courses in MS or other computer related industry to start making SEVEN figures.

Nevertheless, ability to network, integrate with various personnels and BS are an essential ingredients for corporate success.

Comment

O.k.. yess.. I have nothing to do today at work..

Mods: would you please move this to career section.... :->

Comment

Copycat!

Comment

Well my experience working with Desi management has not been very pleasant in itself, but mainly what I experienced was not the 'bossing around' but rather biased and hypocritic attitude and a case of Desi politics. I could smell the jealousy miles away when I was in a situation like that.

However, the Desi boss was quite team oriented, and didn't achieve the post due to his bs but rather because of his extensive knowledge of the product we were developing and his technical skills.

I kinda don't agree that it's the bs that gest you somewhere. In part, yes, one has to have good combo of tactfullness and articulation in developing the relatioships with higher-ups and peers but without necessary market knowledge and upto date information on what's happening in the business world, it shows up. And yes, I do agree that being people oriented is one of the core skills to advance in any career.

[This message has been edited by Roman (edited August 02, 2000).]

Comment

I think there needs to be a balance and having more of one quality at the expense of other is not beneficial. Though I work for the private company, most of my dealings are with a Federal Agency and and we all know the inner-workings of gov't employees. But I also think that this phenomenon can be witnessed in large corporations.

But now that I read my post after a year, I would disagree with some of the stuff I said in the initial post.

Comment

>> But now that I read my post after a year, I would disagree with some of the stuff I said in the initial post.

See how we have 'reformed' you over a year, huh? http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/biggrin.gif

Comment

I would say that in most cases the corporate ladder climbers are more i operations area than towards business or technology..not that it does not happen in these areas but from my experience..operations side seems to be the main bread n butter of these ladder climbers. These people also tend to be lifers i.e. with the same company for years..or even if they move to a different company it would be in the exact same function..solely because thats all that they know.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Working...
                      X