Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "Age" Factor...!!!

Hi all...

I just finished a six-month training project for a group of 10 individuals who were working in the Telecommunications Industry.

Out of the 10 individuals, 4 immediately got hired by other "better" companies with a 20% increase on what they were getting from their former companies... and all on the basis of what I trained them on. I got letters and cards of thankyous etc. and felt nice to know that it worked out for them.

Now... although these ppl have been in the industry for approx. 3 years but in terms of technical experience, I'm pretty sure that I know as much as they do if not any more.

Even though I've trained them and I also have more than 3 years of similar work experience, I certainly think that I won't be able to get the same position as them cuz of my "age" (22).

The first question I'm asked in an interview is "how do u know so much in so little time?"
    Its hard for them to believe and even though I can satisfy them by my answers to their questions, I can always feel that tone where I know that they still don't beleive.

What I wanna know is how much does "age" count. What happens if u're too young or even sometimes maybe too old.

Secondly, in my situation, how can I overcome the problem and make believe.

[This message has been edited by Umar Talib (edited May 08, 2000).]
    For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

dewd

i really thought that in hitech world age actually helps the younger people because they are presumed to be less jaded by the current norms and are more energetic and creative.

One factor that works aginst younger people is their breadth of experience. I mean a guy could be a guru at Java, but unless he has been in the industry and has worked with clients before and knows the whole client politics and general consulting lifestyle..working with crossfunctional teams etc etc.

So they are not just being rewarded for their expertrise in a specific technology but the experience portfolio that they bring with them

[This message has been edited by Fraudz (edited May 08, 2000).]
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Umar:

Good to hear from you. Where have you been man?! Gotta keep up the appearances.

I kinda agree with Umar here. I've been treated (or so I have noticed) differently for positions which I had applied that were geared more towards management. I've been to interviews were the whole cadre or applicants were about 10 to 15 yrs. older than me. I almost had the refusal letter from the interviwer waiting for me at home on the same day that I took the interview. Made sense?!

I can give you an quick example to what you're talking about and what our resident Pir touched upon: I was working at a project in NYC where were were concerned about huge blocks of stone falling on the adjacent Amtrak tracks due to the heavy excavation our guys had done. The owner wanted some "expert" opinion and invited some guys form various relevant background to the job site. One of the expert was a young guy who was had finished his Phd and was invited for his "expert opinion."

This guy inspected the site and gave his findings to the owner. As soon as the guy left our trailer, the owner says to the resident engineer "why did you invite this guy? He's so young... I want guys with grey hair...."

With this said, Fraudiya is right. Your salary represents (atleast should represent) what sort of professional expereince you bring to the company. Knowing the technical ropes may not be enough, especially when your position involves intensive client interaction. You must have the right PR skills along with knowledge of working with multi-disciplined people.

As for how to overcome the problem, I can just tell you what I tell myself, and I am still learning the "ropes." Be confident, assertive and believe in yourself. Getting a bit of grey hair might help also!

Comment

I guess in the more creative and new economy type of jobs, if you show the maturity and discipline of a seasoned professional and the enthusiasm and energy of a new recruit, you will do well.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Do you guys feel that people of certain age groups have work styles that are not suited for some companies? e.g. I would be surprised to see an older gentleman in the trenches of a new age creative agency.

Comment

Working...
          X