when filling out an application...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when filling out an application...

I was just in the process of filling out a form and yet once again I wonder whether I should or shouldn't fill out the optional section which asks you ... your origin, gender, nationality and other similar questions.

Although there's no harm in it, but wut do u guyz think...
    sometimes I do fill it and sometimes I don't.

[This message has been edited by Umar Talib (edited February 15, 2000).]
    For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

It is used.
    They may say that it is only for demographic information purposes but it is used in decision making to some extent.
    I doubt it will hurt to give that info.

My problem always has been, what race am I?
    I have been told to check caucasian (which is accurate from a race perspective I was told) some applications include pakistan as part of asian/pacific islander.

dunno what it is for sure though..
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Its not used cause it is against the law to use such information. You should only give the info if you feel ok with it. Its similar to been asked you age/marital status or your religious/personal beliefs in an interview. They are not legally allowed and should not be asked by an interviewer ,and if they do ask then you either have the option of answering them or aksing them how that relates to the job that your appling for. There are ways to take the matter to the law if it is felt that such info has been used in anyway to influence the filling up of the position.

I am sure the same laws apply to Canada too.

Comment

hmcq

in academia not all laws are obeyed strictly. I know personally where decisions were made to allow people in a program which they otherwise would not have ben accepted into because the uni needed to keep the demographics of the student population nice and pleasing, especially to federal sources where a lot of funding comes in from.

That is where subjective criteris such as leadership, activities, essays etc etc come in handy..they are dependent on the admission committee's perception so they are jacked up to make the overall applicant score better.

We can all think that in academia all rules/regulations are followed, but it is not. We can just look at recruitment of atheletes and their academics for an example.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Ohhh I had assumed Umar was talking in terms or work and not academia.

The laws are supposed to help us, but of course to be subjective can be said to be human....

Comment

Hey guyz,
            my question was just very general.

I know in employment and all, it is definitely not allowed to base decisions upon these factors.

My current situation is that I've been short-listed for a Univ. scholarship and they want this info asap. I'm still wondering whether I should give it in or not cuz I believe what Fraudia has said is right.

Lemme know wut u think
            For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

I think putting it in will be better than omission simply because it might help you win an edge based on diversity.

Comment

BTW, skipping the question might not help either since the reader will look at your name and probably guess that you're not a native (i.e. you're not an average Joe, John, Mark, Rich etc...) http://www.pak.org/gupshup/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by ghalib (edited February 16, 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                X