Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

welcome....or welcome back for some :D

Greetings and Welcome..

We all have our share of experiences and insights that we have gained over the years either through trial and error or through soemone's guidance.

We can share that with others so they are able to make better decisions. I was the first in my family to go the business route instead of engineering or medicine and had to look around for mentors, guides and resources.

Later it was a a harder choice to decide on career direction, company or industry etc etc.

The goal of this forum is to share our experiences and to serve as resources to anyone who can use it.

Once Again, welcome.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

This is excellent. This is probably the best service Gupshup can provide to its members. Finding the right career can be pretty confusing. As Fraudia has said above that we can learn from each others experiences about careers etc.

Fraudia Yar, Post something about the industry you are in, and I will write something about the challenges and opportunities for economists.

Comment

NY kewl deal. I have done a small write up on my background and will write about industry and all as well.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Mr. Fraudia are you on your own OR do you have your own business. I do moonlighting on the side and basically consult with the company I work for. I have been thinking for a while now to just go out there on my own, but the safety net is what keeps me from taking risks.

Any ideas and or thoughts ?

[This message has been edited by zman (edited January 28, 2000).]

Comment

zman

No I am a part of a consulting company. I have thought about going out on my own. Only issue is due to the company I get a chance to work on some high profile clients and high profile projects. I dont think that I will be ready to go independent for the next few years. By that time they make it worth your while to stay with the organization.

The only issue is in bringing new business to you. I know people who have gone the route of being indpendent contractors and some are doing well and are happy and some are not too happy because they have to adjust to a different culture in the types of teams that they are working with if they get contracted by a consulting company to assist them in a certain project. Those who are doing well usually have higher profile projects and more experience under their belt.

My uncle went independent for some time and did some majot work. His last project was with some multinational in Argentian where he was program manager overseeing numerous projects. His whole issue with that was that he had to wear too many hats besides all the hats he had to wear in work settiongs..i.e. marketing himself, business development, controct negotiation etc etc.

But being independent you can make a lot more. I know that I am being billed out at $275/hour but I only get a small chunk of it.
          independent you can have alower hourly rate and thsu be more competitive..but with the independent contractor status i guess 50% goes to taxes right away..*sigh* damn taxes

Comment

This is great!

Comment

knock knock
              sunoooooo koiiiiiiii maulanaaaaaaaaaa http://www.pak.org/gupshup/fraudia.gif

either i am going blind or my counting ability is getting bad http://www.pak.org/gupshup/confused.gif

when i count the total posts in this forum are six http://www.pak.org/gupshup/frown.gif
              and when i see the number of posts listed they are 88 http://www.pak.org/gupshup/frown.gif

or maybe i shouldnt have indulged in that much of Tia Maria http://www.pak.org/gupshup/pagal.gif

------------------
              --<[email protected] In Life there are no problems, only solutions waiting to be found @-->--

Comment

Anchal

this is a forum that is re-launched now. it was started 1 1/2 year ago but I was travelling so much due to my job that I could not devote any time to it and other resources were scarce so it was pulled off for the time being.

If you change the period for which u need to see the messages from last 5 days to all posts u can see the previous ones.

As far as career goes. It is friday 2 a.m. and I am still working away. But now I am going to stop and go to bed.

Comment

http://www.pak.org/gupshup/pagal.gif ok http://www.pak.org/gupshup/pagal.gif
                  *hick*

------------------
                  --<[email protected] In Life there are no problems, only solutions waiting to be found @-->--

Comment

Thanks for the reply Mr. Fraudia.
                    I am doing research on startups that are into ASP(Application Service Providers - B to B kinda stuff or Middleware companies). The risk is there but the pay-offs might be great. If the company I choose to work for does not go public then I loose 20 to 25% of my salary(what I make now) and if it does than by by Texas and hello Hawaii.

Regards
                    Zman

Comment

Fraudz,

Interesting to read your version on contractor status. When you refer to 50% taxes, I take it your refering to the US.

I am a UK based independant consultant and have been for the last 10yrs, I manage large programmes and currently out in Europe, packing up this Friday and heading back home, thank God. I've always been interested and am trying to spread my wings a bit and would love to gain some experience working in the US, can you offer some tips, web links etc.

Zman,

If thats what you want to do, do it. Its never going to be the right time. The only mitigation I can advise you is make sure you have enough cash put by to last you for a minimum of 3 months. Oh dont forget your taxes, engage a good accountant & and independant financial adviser and let him/her do the hard work.

Comment

SX2T

I dont recall the numbers exactly, but for some of my projects we have had to bring in some 1099's as they are referred to i.e. independent contractors and their tax rate is pretty bad.

As far as contracting goes, best option would be to have your resume on various search engines. Also based on your industry experience you may want to contact companies that work in similar areas.

My challenge at the moment is to find someone as a contractor who has minimum of 6-7 years experience in european petro-chemicals in a general operations so our HR people are looking in all different websites as well as our database..so its no harm in sending copanies resumes..who knows when they will need someone like you.

I have never worked as an independent contractor so I am not quite sure. I know a gentleman who has 10 years of independent consulting under his belt..let me forward this query to him.

Comment

Working...
                        X