Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT Career Advice needed

Hi,
    I am a University student in my third year pursuing Software Engineering. This year is my industrial placement year and I am working as a Govt. employee for the next twelve months. I wanted to take up a few courses while working so that I can enhance my skills and add to my qualifications.
    I heard a lot of companies like IBM & Microsoft during the Career Fair say that they value people who complete training at these institutes (offering diploma courses) over Univeristy students because they learn more practical skills. To what extent do you think this is true. Agar aisi hee baat hai tow hum kyun marr khupp rahein hein University mein ? Also would anyone suggest anything in particular which might be a good choice for a course. I am in the process of completing my MCSE, but to me that is a total Microsoft Marketing Phenomenon & not really a career enhancement.

Secondly who thinks that UNIX is dying out by the advent of NT 5.0 I just love UNIX cuz it the most powerful thing I have played with. Mind you, its people like me who prefer DOS over Windows. I ask this because I wanna opt for the Sun Certification in UNIX Admin and Java Development.

Oye Kaka. First complete your degree. Thats most important. You like IT, choose a major/minor of your 'pasand'. During all this, if you have some time, take some IT Management classes or courses.

MCSE, and sun certifications all are OK. If you have time left from the above, you may do these while u r in school.

Nobody thinks UNIX is dying. Tangian toor doon ga!!

Sab ka baba- MalangBaba

Comment

friend, like malangbaba said get degree first and then worry about certifications. As far as unix goes, it will die a slow death.

Later
      Zman

Comment

"I heard a lot of companies like IBM & Microsoft during the Career Fair say that they value people who complete training at these institutes (offering diploma courses) over Univeristy students"
        Are you sure they actually said this ?

Most major companies here in the UK will not even consider you for an interview unless you've got a degree.

I'd double check with their personnel departments before considering abandoning your degree studies.

The Unix operating system will be around for a long long time I wouldn't worry about Unix skills becoming obsolete in the near future.

Farouq Taj.

Comment

UNIX wont die ... dont worry. I am a Certified UNIX Networker. I think it is good to have certified but cetrificates dont teach you everything ... mostly you learn from working. Your own experience teaches you more than you can learn in a class. I have been in the networking field for almost 10 years now I mostly learnt from my experience and did these certificates to top-up myself. You better finish your degree, you will see your managers working above you without degrees but dont worry, now degree is essential particularly for a graduate job.

Comment

No guys, I ain't leaving University. I understand the value of a degree. I only wanted to know if it'd be a good idea to get certified while pursuing my undergrad, because yes, I have personally heard Microsoft say that they prefer diploma personnel cuz they've been thru less theory and more "doing!".

Comment

Working...
            X