Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some mistakes desis make at the workplace.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some mistakes desis make at the workplace.

Here is a small list of do's and dont's. This is totally my opinion, and is based on some issues I have seen and heard about.

1) A separate desi group.

How many times have you seen desis in a company having lunch together every day. This has nothing to do with how desi you are or in pride or friendship. You are an outsider in many ways, especially if you are working in an area where there is low desi representation. To be a part of a team, one needs not just to have good terms around the office but also at down times. Just dont seclude yourself. It happens in colleges and it happens at work.

2) Timeliness:

fairly common problem. I noticed it in school and I notice it at work. 5 minutes are really not a big deal, and if you are late, you may even be staying late or not taking an hour long lunch...but, you get noticed coming in late. This right away becomes a discipline issue. Dont get me wrong, you may be the best in your department but just this one little oversight gives people something to talk about.

2) Excuses:
    We are masters of excuses. I know I have made up some outrageous stories during college just to avoid taking a test that I did not study for because my fraternity was having a weekend long bash. That ended with undergrad. Grad school and in professional world, it starts adding up. The truth is, workplace is result driven and anytime you do not meet or exceed expectations in any manner it is considered as not achieving the results. I know of 3 of my friends who were given fairly similar evaluations in very different industries. One is in the North American Branch of a Japanese Bank, Second is working for a computer company and the third is working for a research firm. All three of them are extremely talented, but not quite up to speed with timeliness. Although their work quality was great, the evaluations did note the areas that needed work.

4) Leaving on a bad note

Not much to say on it, but even if you hate your job and boss/co-workers leave on a pleasant note .. because 1) You never know when you will run into them again in a work related capacity. This is true especially if you are in a specialized segment of the industry. e.g. a frind from citibank left and joined DLJ. As we were both in trading areas, we had frequent contact. There were times when some issues took a bit to resolve but since his rep at citibank was good when he left, we always gave him the benefit of the doubt. 2) Make life easy for the next desi. Sometimes if a person has just left with such a bad impression, the new desi in that area may have to work twice as hard just to have people see him the way he is and not under the shadow of a bad legacy left by a bad worker. Stereotypes do exist, and do get created. Just imagine if Mr.XYZ has been exposed to several bad workers and now is in a position where he is evaluating a desi candidate for promotion or even for hiring, subconsciously he may be unsure about the person's fit based solely on prior impressions about people.
    When you leave, leave on great terms, so people actually wish that you were not going.
    Keep in contact with former co-workers and managers, not just of your area but for other areas as well. Networking is the key.

Please share your ideas about what you think are areas where some desis need improvement. Just to make sure that people dont think that I am saying all desis have bad work habits, my next large posting will be about what unique skills and strengths do we bring to the table in general that we can capitalize on. The next mail will be based mostly on the marketing and business area as my exposure to software and technology fields is not quite upto par. For that I invite any Tech experts to write.

There is a famous quote at Temple University that I coined (shameless self promotion here) but it does make sense.

" You can be networking or not working"

A posting on that will be on mid next week.

Kamz

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Not only do we desis stick together at the workplace, but often tend to converse in our own languages. Nothing is more annoying to co-workers than to hear people talk when they are trying to concentrate, and the frustration quadruples when the conversation is in a foreign language. Ridiculous as it may seem to be talking to another Pakistani in English, it is rude to do it in the office environment.

Comment

Salaams to everyone.
      I have been a consultant for quite a while and have consulted with Mom and Pop type of operations to the big 5. I do not agree with you:
      Desi Groups: There is nothing wrong w/ sticking with your own for lunches or even talking in urdu. I agree that if you are talking business then talk in English otherwise do not be ashamed or scared to converse in your mother tongue.

Timeliness & Excuses : Trust me man I've been around and if you are among the top producers then all your managers will bend the rules. On the other hand if you suck then you're out. Its a pretty cruel world. Therefore Desi or white it does not matter, you should know if APP KA BOSS APP KE NAKHRE UTHAI GA KE NAHEEN, and then you play within the perceived boundaries.

Leaving on a bad note: Nothing to do with Desi's. I have seen so many whites do it. On the other hand my experiences especially with desi's have been good ones. Whites when they give their 2 wks notice start to take their sick time and personal days where as desis have to much dignity to do that.

zman

Comment

Zman
        Thanks for the input. two items may be what is causing a difference of opinion. My analysis is based mostly on Large Multinationals and a corporate environment. Secondly, good work habits are just that, good work habits. No matter how much nakhraas the boss may be willing to put up with now, things can change overnight.
        rahee baat whites vs desis leaving on a sour note. I dont have any data to prove or disprove that. The factor that you are different just makes you stand out that much more.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Zman
          Thanks for the input. two items may be what is causing a difference of opinion. My analysis is based mostly on Large Multinationals and a corporate environment. Secondly, good work habits are just that, good work habits. No matter how much nakhraas the boss may be willing to put up with now, things can change overnight.
          rahee baat whites vs desis leaving on a sour note. I dont have any data to prove or disprove that. The factor that you are different just makes you stand out that much more.

Comment

they need us thats why they hire us. if they dont like our language its their problem not ours.please, get out of inferiority complex of not being white.if they are in Pakistan ,will they speak urdu with each other? no!

Comment

I totally agree with Zman and poorpaki(U should change your name yaar !). It is that inferiority complex at play when you say not to talk in Urdu or form groups. Let me tell you something here. Last week I started working as a Govt. employee here in Toronto, and Thank God it is a good position with a respectable salary for a third year student. It is something you guys would call an industrial placement or a professional experience. I was glad firstly to know that I was the first student to break the six year old tradition whereby only oriental students had been hired as interns. The shock to me was that in an employee database of 750 employees, only two including myself were Pakistanis and three were Indians. If you'd see the chinese, it is like 400 - 430 of them. Okay, you say that they are settled here from quite some time and their success can be attributed to that fact, but one thing I have seen is that all of them stick together and provide a very effective network for the community. If you watch their TV programmes, they advertise job positions available in Intl. firms in their own language. This is not selfishness but good thinking and that is what we Pakistanis need in order to excel.
              Take Care.

Comment

Good work habits have nothing to do with any sort of inferiority complexes.
                As far as a source of networking goes..that is the intention behind this forum.
                Agreed they need you thats why they hire you, but they must like you for you to get ahead in the corporate rat race. Performance alone is NOT a guarantee that people will succeed.

Comment

Fraudia Saheb,
                  Hum bhi tow yahi bakk rahein haein keh jee Good Work Habits have nothing to do with how you interact with your fellow Pakis in the free time you have during lunch and it doesn't matter if you sit in groups of desis or goras. I always see ethnic groups at the workplace and every individual is there for the others.
                  Ciao.

Comment

Friend, Zman....

I am not talking about the Desis' lunch time activities, but it is what they do in the regular working hours that can get annoying. We are talking about work ethics and good manners here, which have nothing to do with inferiority complexes. One can understand it if someone has difficulty expressing oneself in English, but speaking in a foreign language just for the heck of it shows a compelete disregard of your fellow co-workers feelings. I complained a lot when some of my colleagues spoke in the Pennsyvalinia Dutch dialect because it was simply annoying to hear something that I could not understand. Stubbornness is another one of our Desi shortcomings. We will, never accept that we make mistakes, but instead will try to justify ourselves with all kinds of excuses however ridiculous they may be.

More later....

Antidote

Comment

Dude , you need to read my postings more carefully before you come up with responses. AGAIN : If you're talking business( mano-armano/ one to one or meetings with many) in any American organization, then there is no language except English, even if you speak tooti-phooti English you have to adhere to the protocols. On the other hand if your Desi wife/friend calls you at work and wanna make plans for lunch,you are sitting in your cubicle/office, cant decide on where to go because you are twidilling your thumbs and wondering whether to conversate in English or Urdu...because you dont wanna hurt someones feelings .. thats a sell out. Be proud of who and what you are.

One more thing dude : What kind of work do you do? I am a computer consultant and in my field the bottom line is your abilities. In this industry people will bend over backwards and sometimes forwards for you, if you cant speak english they'll talk to you in sign language(joking). We might be butting heads cause you might be in marketing, management or finance area-- I dunno.
                      More later
                      Zman

Comment

Friend bhai

Aap ko job bhi bakna hai aap bakain :0 humain aap kay baknay par koi masla naheen hai.
                        I guess I should have been more clear in what
                        I was trying to say. Its good to give time to non desis in your free time and after work activities, and it all goes back to goodwill,
                        lookong like a team player and networking.

Comment

Listen guys I don't know how it is in North America but in England Goray perceive the existence of 2 types of pakis.....one who works 24-7 and brown noses his way through work - they love these types cos they get the most work out of them. Type2 - Cleverdick who turns up when he likes, only does enough required to justify his/her existence, knows it all but appears inherently lazy to those in minor roles who can't appreciate what he/she does. A headache for the boss basically!

Comment

Fraudz : If your bottom line is networking, then you should not be worried about hanging around with Desis/non-desis. By networking I mean, a connection that can turn into moola(money). I dunno dude, if you are aggressive in business you almost have to be a cameleon and appear to a prospect as an expert. If the bottom line is money, the way this world has become, nobody will care about the color of your skin or the kind of language you speak.
                            AND THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT -- FOREST GUMP.

Zman

Comment

Yo Zman....

Cool it will ya!!! Desis get into trouble because of attitude like yours. There is a difference between brown nosing, and being a team player. There are other ways of making your mark in a workplace. If you are soooo proud of your ethnicity, why do you wear western attire when you come in to work?? Isn't a three piece business suit, or jeans and t-shirts also a desperate attempt by people like you to be assimilated in your work environment???

Comment

Working...
                              X