Canada - Reliability/Security Clearence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada - Reliability/Security Clearence

How to get Reliability and/or Security clearance? I have goggled but could not find any specific information.

Just a background: After working in US for around 9 years, I moved to Toronto last year due to family reasons (as an immigrant) and is now looking forward to call it home. I came across few job postings (mostly Govt contract jobs) those are of interest for me but almost all require either "Secutiry Clearence" or "Reliability clearance".

Question is how and where to get it? Will I be even able to get it as I am an immigrant at this point and not a citizen? Will 9 years of US history help in anyway?
    Goyan keshk aqbat taskeen ast...Awal shor ast aqbat namkeen ast
    Har chanz aasiyat sang zeerey...Ee surat-e-beqrar barbin ast

Re: Canada - Reliability/Security Clearence

From what I know - the easiest way to get started is to register with a headhunter/agency for your job search/prospects. They'll start the application for you and once you get your clearance, i.e. you're in the system, you can pretty much go anywhere. The subsequent levels of clearance don't take too long if your employer specifically requires it.

Unfortunately, I don't think that individuals are able to apply themselves for security clearance... it has to be your employer or another employment related organization that submits the request. I live in the Ottawa area where a lot of government jobs require it and most employment agencies assist candidates in acquiring it.

I think immigrants/residents can apply for it... not just citizens.
    For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

^ Thanks man but if what you are saying is TRUE then its a catch 22 i.e you need clearance to get a job but you cant get a clearance by your self and your employer should

Thanks anyway, I'll look into recruiting agencies option

Comment

^ I know dude... I had to go through it myself and most recently my wife went through the same thing. When you apply for a job, the requirements state reliability/clearance... but it's usually a soft requirement since the employers understand that they might have to start the process for the applicant.

That's why we figured that registering with an agency for the sole purpose of getting clearance is a good way to get a headstart and then you can continue finding a job on your own.
        For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Lucid Chaotic View Post
          ^ I know dude... I had to go through it myself and most recently my wife went through the same thing. When you apply for a job, the requirements state reliability/clearance... but it's usually a soft requirement since the employers understand that they might have to start the process for the applicant.

That's why we figured that registering with an agency for the sole purpose of getting clearance is a good way to get a headstart and then you can continue finding a job on your own.
          If you dont mind, can you share the info of agency you registered with? that will save me some googling.

Comment

Originally posted by Decent 6Chora View Post
            ^ Thanks man but if what you are saying is TRUE then its a catch 22 i.e you need clearance to get a job but you cant get a clearance by your self and your employer should
            I don't think it's that bad. I always thought that teh requirement to have security clearance was given so that you know that if you wouldn't pass clearance than you should not apply.

Usually, things like drug use convictions in particular as well as other criminal convictioned, whether pardoned or not, prevent security clearance.
            Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
            Al-Ghazali

Comment

Originally posted by mAd_ScIeNtIsT View Post
              I don't think it's that bad. I always thought that teh requirement to have security clearance was given so that you know that if you wouldn't pass clearance than you should not apply.

Usually, things like drug use convictions in particular as well as other criminal convictioned, whether pardoned or not, prevent security clearance.
              I am not against the requirement but most of the things I came across had the requirement of "Current and Valid Security/reliability Clearance". I am all for what you said. They can run all the bg checks they want to but if you have to have it to get a contract job but you cant have it unless you are employeed, then I guess recruiting companies lobbies are doing good work in Ottawa

Comment

Hi Decent,
                If I understood right, you need security clearance, right?
                you can contact local RCMP office for the security clearance certificate. They will give you the appointment and location address where to appear (only selected RCMP locations have this facility). They will take all your personal information and 10 fingers finger prints and will give you initial certificate to give it to your employer. RCMP for further criminal and detailed background check will send your all information to their head office and you will get another certificate of confirmation, it could take up to 6 months. As for as I know their background security check system is integrated with American Security Agencies and they can also obtain your information from your home country if require. Most of the companies dealing in/with money, security, loans and valuable handling, require this certificate to make sure they are hiring the right person. Reliability and personal reference can be given by your friend, family member or your previous employer.

Comment

Working...
                X