Need advice, any SAPians around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice, any SAPians around?

What advantage would you have becoming a Ramp-Up coach? And what are the draw-backs?

Please share.
    There are three sides to every argument: Your side, my side and the right side.
    (Twisted version).

You havent really bothered putting any details in your question... cant really see anyone taking it seriously or offering their advice/opinions... Could also have tried and explained what your situation is and what your concerns are and non-SAP folks would have added their opinions as well.

Are you talking about a personal career decision? or your oganisation becoming a part of a ramp-up phase for a new release? or something else?

Comment

OK, I read your question again... I initially thought you meant what are the advantages of having a rampup coach and drawbacks.. and I'm thinking,,, obviously cost vs expertise!

It seems like you want to become one... Well, I havent been directly involved with any rampup projects myself... but I can tell you that if you get the opportunity to become one... its a good thing BUT it depends on what area we are talking about..(unless the rampup coach is a generic position thats more a project manager type person as opposed to a subject matter expert). The reason I say this is because the market is pretty saturated in the larger enterprises area... and SAP is still the leading ERP provider, and you wont see larger organisations switching ERP's all that often. One of the few ways I see them making money (SAP) is to constantly reinvent themselves and keep enhancing the systems and coming up with new releases and pulling the plug on support for older version. That will keep them in business. So my point is that as a rampup coach, you'll always have something to do, and rampups will always be there.

The question now is, do they have separate rampup coaches for say SCM, and a separate one for BI, that are subject matter experts in their own areas...? or is this a generic position and you will be in a pool of a few rampup coaches that get assigned to random rampup projects?

Depending on what your aspirations are and where you're currently at, it could be a great step forward, or a step backwards... so maybe a bit about yourself as well?

Comment

Re: Need advice, any SAPians around?

I’d also like to know what your background is – have you been working on the functional or the technical side of SAP projects?

It may be more of a generalization but I think that a ramp-up consulting positions are more suited to somebody with a functional background along with significant project management experience. You’re going to be involved in feasibility checks and project scoping, manage knowledge transfer in an expedited fashion and ensure that the client gets a fast ROI… which basically means that you’re going to need a combo of management consulting, project management, and ERP project experiences.

That being said, I’m a little skeptical about the scope of a career within the Ramp-up program. From my own experience with various ERP projects, it takes significant time and effort to create executive management buy-in for even the most basic vanilla implementation… and to think that there will be early adopters for new solutions that still haven’t been proved their worth in the industry sounds a little far-fetched. Having said that, its going to be the non conformist types of clients who’ll sign up for the ramp-up programs – I just don’t know if they will be in great numbers.
        For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

Thank you very much Kaka and Lucid for very detailed replies.

Coming back to your question: I have more technical background and some project management experience. So it is more working on the technical side.

@Kaka: Yeah, there are area specific ramp-up coaches. I am focused more in the area of security and enterprise risk management.

The motivation for me comes from the fact that so many customers wanted to become ramp-up partners for some of the products in the area I mentioned above, that SAP really gets in a situation where they actually have the liberty to handpick some of those. So I just thought it could be a future direction for me. It could perhaps be a good opportunity to combine technical skills with management.

You also suggested that, thank you.

One question: are you both working with SAP?
          (Twisted version).

Comment

Weel, if you've been more in the hands on technical roles, the yes, its a good step forward. Should give you good project management exposure as well.

Lucid, you are partly right about businesses not putting their hands up to be a part of a rampup project. IF it was a brand new solution altogether, yes, there will be skepticism. However, the majority of the projects in the rampup area are all just newer releases/versions of existing and mature solutions. Yes, SAP might struggle just a little to find volunteers for something they are introducing for the first time in the market... but should have no problems finding volunteers for version upgrades... and majority.. probably 80 - 90 percent of the projects would be version upgrade rampups... so I dont see a decline there... they are the biggest player in the ERP market, so they do have a reasonable track record and credibility. But hey we do get our fair share of abuse too from frustrated users As they say, SAP stands for Slow And Painful.

danday_wala, yes i'm an SAP guy working in the supply chain area.

Comment

Kaka... the stuff about most ramp-up projects being upgrades makes total sense ... and I have no doubt in my mind that if any company can pull off an opt-in ramp-up program as extensive as this, SAP is probably it. They have a loyal client base notwithstanding the switching costs in this market which are pretty high.

D_W... I've worked as a business analyst and a functional advisor with three SAP implementation projects... mainly on the HCM and BW side of things.
              For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

Kaka and Lucid: The loyal customer base comment is true. I was very surprised to see such an interest on the customer side to become ramp-up partners. But before taking a step in that direction, I just wanted to have expert opinion.

PS. can I find you guys in the SAP address book?
                (Twisted version).

Comment

Working...
                X