Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F2 Visas

I have a few questions about F2 visas.

How easy or difficult is it to get an F2 visa for your spouse if you are studying in a US graduate school on F1? What is the general experience of people in getting them? What are limitations on the spouse under this visa ... can he/she work or study? Also are there any other alternatives to F2?

Thanks.
    I'm cold seed, I'm your sweetest leaf
    I'll ease your mind, I'll set you free

Re: F2 Visas

Its as easy or difficult as getting an F1. Mostly finances and ties back home matter the most.

Any person on an F2 visa cannot work legally or study. To study they will have to change their status to F1. It didn't use to be too much of a problem to change statuses from an F2 to an F1 but these days who knows.
    I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Thanks ahmadjee. Is there an advantage/disadvantage in applying for F1 and F2 together (for you and your spouse)?

No work/study on F2 seems like a bit too tough a condition. At least they should allow the spouses to sit in exams like USMLE (or whatever it is called) etc.

Does anyone know a good website that gives this information minus the technical jargon?

Comment

F-1 Student Visa

Nonimmigrants admitted to the United States temporarily to pursue full-time academic studies in colleges, universities, seminaries, conservatories, academic high schools, other academic institutions, and in language training fall under the F-1 category. Throughout this website they are referred to as Foreign Students.

F-2 Student Visa

The spouse and minor children accompanying or following to join an F-1 student are eligible for admission in F-2 status if the student is admitted in F-1 status. A new SEVIS form I-20 is required for a dependent where there has been any substantive change in the F-1 student's current information, such as extension of the end date of the program, change of program or change of school.

Education in the USA: F-1 Student Visa

Comment

Scratch, I donno. My information is based on dealing with other people.

Man with a Plan, what does the sentense "...spouse and minor children accompanying or following to join an F-1 student are eligible for admission in F-2 status if the student is admitted in F-1 status ..." that they can stay in F2 and be student or that they can easily change to F1 status and be student?
          I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
          - Robert McCloskey

Comment

F-2 visa is for spouse and children of the student who is on F-1. Spouse and children can visit and/ or acompany the foreign national student. Key word, visit accompany, which means they can't study or work. In order to change the purpse of visit, one can apply for Change of Status. For that I think, that spouse or children need to apply as the same way any person would like to apply for F-1 status. Do research to confirm, I am not 100% sure.

Comment

Thanks guys.

>> "The spouse and minor children accompanying or following to join an F-1 student are eligible for admission in F-2 status if the student is admitted in F-1 status. A"

This sentence is kinda confusing. It almost seems like the spouse is eligble to study. I'll be going through the website to confirm.

Comment

Working...
              X