Why not - profitable career to persue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not - profitable career to persue

From what I've been able to find out, there is a TOTAL lack of speech/language pathologists in Pakistan. There is a dire shortage of these professionals in the US. They make 60 to 90 k per year on average as starting salary. So whats the prob here people????

Re: Why not - profitable career to persue

What is your real question? Should speech pathologists go to Pakistan or is the lack here the reason that Pakistani's should study try to get into that profession?
    "Don't guess a person's character on his present situation because time has the power
    to change an ordinary coal into a precious diamond"

Comment

well, my reason for posting is twofold I guess. Its a career that is probably overlooked by most college students. There is also a dire need for Speech language pathologists both in the US and in Pakistan and its a pretty high-earnings career to pursue. So I think if you're looking for a good and promising career to enter, it seems to me that this should be a top choice....yet enrollment in these programs and schools that offer it as a major arent seeing the enrollment. Dont know why....

Comment

Originally posted by Mamaof3
        well, my reason for posting is twofold I guess. Its a career that is probably overlooked by most college students. There is also a dire need for Speech language pathologists both in the US and in Pakistan and its a pretty high-earnings career to pursue. So I think if you're looking for a good and promising career to enter, it seems to me that this should be a top choice....yet enrollment in these programs and schools that offer it as a major arent seeing the enrollment. Dont know why....
        ^ Why didn't you become one if you don't mind me asking?

For me, dealing with handicapped people (like in this case speech deficient if how one would say it?) is not very easy in the sense of being a therapist!

Lot of patience is required!

Comment

I didnt become one because I was completely oblivious at the time - both to the need for professionals in this area and that the career even existed. My eldest boy is speech delayed but I'm at home with my kids now. If I do indeed go back to work at some point in my life, it will be in this area. Yes, much patience is required....but at the same time, its something that TRULY makes a difference for all time. I mean I used to be so proud that I worked on design/build of new trading floors. Well 6 mos later, it was all obsolete so who-the-heck cares. When you do this type of work, the type of work that takes a child with troubles and you're able to bring them into the "mainstream", it makes such a significant impact for the rest of their lives and the lives of their families.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamaof3
            I didnt become one because I was completely oblivious at the time - both to the need for professionals in this area and that the career even existed. My eldest boy is speech delayed but I'm at home with my kids now. If I do indeed go back to work at some point in my life, it will be in this area. Yes, much patience is required....but at the same time, its something that TRULY makes a difference for all time. I mean I used to be so proud that I worked on design/build of new trading floors. Well 6 mos later, it was all obsolete so who-the-heck cares. When you do this type of work, the type of work that takes a child with troubles and you're able to bring them into the "mainstream", it makes such a significant impact for the rest of their lives and the lives of their families.
            Well you need inspiration like one you have now because your child has this problem.

One of my friends i knew ended up becoming a psychologist but actually wanted to be a neuro surgeon because his mom died of brain cancer.

Designing floors = graphic arts? construction?

Comment

Yeah there is like maybe 1 or 2 speech pathologists in Karachi, and one of them at least is a white American girl, who I think left Pakistan when 9-11 happened.

Definitely its a profession that needs attn.
              I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

Maybe Pakistani's just dont have speech problems.
                "Don't guess a person's character on his present situation because time has the power
                to change an ordinary coal into a precious diamond"

Comment

Actually, I could be wrong but from what I've seen so far over there, children with delays or handicaps are either not educated at all or are kind of "pushed thru" the system with no extra help given to their special needs. Probably not true in the bigger cities but not sure. Like I said, its a great career to go into because of the dire shortage even in US and the nice salary.

Comment

Originally posted by fayax
                    Maybe Pakistani's just dont have speech problems.
                    Quite the opposite. These children just get ignored, and their handicaps are never str8ned out. With speech therapy, most kids benefit, and you'd be amazed to find out that people you think speak fine have had speech therapy in the past.

These kids get pushed thru whatever school that will accept them, and then they don't get anywhere because they can't speak right. I have a family member with a speech problem, and just finding a school to take him was a nightmare. He still can't talk, and its nearly impossible to communicate with him. I've encouraged the family to teach him sign language, but they are in denial and still feel that he'll learn to talk clearly in a few years.

Through his situation, our family has met LOADS of families that are in dire need of a speech therapist/pathologist for their kids.
                    I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

most pakistanis can barely afford keeping a car....how would the nation pay for speech pathologists? i dont get how it would help u make boo-koo bucks there.
                      if you go crazy, yes i'll still call you superman

Comment

dear ms pink, I do understand the problem, that people may not be able to pay for such services in Pak....in the US, these services are part of the public school system for any child who qualifies so there is no cost to the parents for treatment. Even so, there is a dire shortage of professionals qualified to help and its therefore a great career here. I think, even over there, it may still be the case since many parents would find a way to get the right help for their children. We personally would not even consider living over there at this point since our boy still needs services and there really arent qualified people over there that would be able to help him. They're so few and far between that it isnt an option for us to live there at this point. I think that someone who obtained a degree and lisence in Speech Language Pathology and went over there and set up a small private school near a city - any city - would do extremely well.

Comment

I wish i knew this 4 years ago
                          Q. What do you get from a pampered cow?
                          A. Spoiled milk.

Comment

barfee, it may not be too late....to become a speech language pathologist, you need a 4 yr degree, preferably a Bachelor of Science (as opposed to BA). Then there is an intensive 2-yr Masters program in the specialty of speech language pathology. Starting salary is around 70k in the US if you work in the public school system but if you go "private", you can make as much as a doctor or lawyer, just without the guarantee of income that you'd have if you worked for the state. Another plus is that your car, car payments, mileage, rent or mortgate etc etc is ALL tax-deductible so you dont end up paying much in taxes at all

Comment

Working...
                            X