I want to be a CIO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to be a CIO

i normally meet once a yr with my boss to decide my career progession. one of the things we go over is the position i want to be in the future. currenlty im a system analyst and i normally tell my boss that i wanna be like a project leader..kind of baby steps.

That review is coming up in the upcoming months and im thinking of revealing my aspirations to be a CIO. Is that a good move? would my boss get the impression that im trying to move too fast or placing demands that the company for whatever reason cannot meet? Or is it a good thing to reveal your aspirations to stick with the company for the long run?
    Adopt me Angelina.

Re: I want to be a CIO

Maybe you shoyuld learn to spell CEO?

U mean Chief Executive Officer or some other position?
    The grass ain't always greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Comment

haha...i don't whether to laugh or be sad
      Adopt me Angelina.

Comment

Originally posted by Sara516
        Maybe you shoyuld learn to spell CEO?

U mean Chief Executive Officer or some other position?
        lol.. perhaps he meant Chief Information Officer (CIO)

Comment

lussi - I'd stick with the baby-steps option... a progression from Sys Analyst ==> Project Lead ==> Program Manager is a good 5 year plan at a minimum. I'd say this is the type of thing you should bring out in that feedback/aspirations interview. Once you have a couple of years of experience under your belt managing large-scale enterprise I.S. projects, only then would I feel comfortable in advising you of disclosing your ultimate objectives. It's good to have these in mind nonetheless, but organizations today are very cognizant about "over-ambitious" individuals who might contribute to greater staff turnover, and this obviously can lead to you being on top of their list at times of down/right-sizing etc.
          As an HR generalist a few years back, I've seen this happen first-hand.
          For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

Yah but knowing Lussi, I wud think he meant CEO
            The grass ain't always greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Comment

umar - good insights. Thanks.
              Adopt me Angelina.

Comment

Working...
              X