Career Portfolio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Career Portfolio

All I've got in mine is a few reference letters and a few awards along with a few letters indicating the process that I went through to recieve those awards. Aside from that, I've got nothing in my portfolio. No assignments, no work samples, etc.

I'm beginning to realize that competition is very tough for the co-op jobs. It's virtually impossible to get selected for an interview and even more so difficult to actually get a co-op placement.

Could I please be provided with a proper set of instructions/outline to create and properly manage a career portfolio?

Re: Career Portfolio

Sadiyah,

You can start with electronic (website based) and hard-copies (formatted appropriately) of following:
    • A Curriculum Vitae’ or a Resume’
    • Professional Qualifications & Credentials
    • Awards & Achievements portfolio
    • Testimonials from employers, clients and peers.
    • Writing samples.
    More on this later...
    For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Umar Talib
      Sadiyah,

You can start with electronic (website based) and hard-copies (formatted appropriately) of following:

• A Curriculum Vitae’ or a Resume’
      • Professional Qualifications & Credentials
      • Awards & Achievements portfolio
      • Testimonials from employers, clients and peers.
      • Writing samples.
      More on this later...
      How safe is it to have resume and other such information online? If I do decide to upload it, should I change the format of my resume or should I leave it the same as the one that I use to apply for jobs?

I already have a resume done, so adding that to the career portfolio shouldn't be a problem, insha'Allah.

I don't think I have any professional qualifications or credentials yet, other than the high school diploma.

I did receive a few awards, which I'll add to the portfolio, insha'Allah.

As for the testimonials from employers, clients and peers, I have a recommendation letter from one of my employers. I also have a recommendation letter from one of the places that I volunteered at, but I don't have one from my previous co-op job and due to the complications that I had, I doubt that I'd be receiving one. However, I can contact and try asking.

I don't believe I have any writing samples other than the assignments that I've done over the years. I've recieved some good grades, however, there is still a lot of red pen on it, so I've always stayed away from using those. If the red pen and comments aren't something that could be considered harmful, then I can always add those to the portfolio.

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiyah
        How safe is it to have resume and other such information online? If I do decide to upload it, should I change the format of my resume or should I leave it the same as the one that I use to apply for jobs?

I already have a resume done, so adding that to the career portfolio shouldn't be a problem, insha'Allah.

I don't think I have any professional qualifications or credentials yet, other than the high school diploma.

I did receive a few awards, which I'll add to the portfolio, insha'Allah.

As for the testimonials from employers, clients and peers, I have a recommendation letter from one of my employers. I also have a recommendation letter from one of the places that I volunteered at, but I don't have one from my previous co-op job and due to the complications that I had, I doubt that I'd be receiving one. However, I can contact and try asking.

I don't believe I have any writing samples other than the assignments that I've done over the years. I've recieved some good grades, however, there is still a lot of red pen on it, so I've always stayed away from using those. If the red pen and comments aren't something that could be considered harmful, then I can always add those to the portfolio.
        You can upload it online (preferable in a webpage format). Don't worry about changing the format. keep a simple consistant - elegant one.

YOU MUST CHANGE YOUR RESUME ACCORDING TO THE JOB! Copy paste words (as many as you can) to make you look like an ideal candidate for that job.

For high school person, i think you have probably about average xperience / education. Don't take this in the wrong way, but at this point your educatioin or xpereience don't mean much to employers. Therefore in order to give yourself edge over competition you have to WORD your qualification properly. It is sometime possible to word the qualification in a manner that will have some impact over you.
        [ M ] - Awesome Wedding Photographer + Videographer in Canada

Comment

^ I totally agree. It's nothing to get offended about. I know I have minimum education and barely any work experience.

Comment

Sadiyah, more than anything, just believe in yourself. References, resumes help but often at times it may feel like they are going into a black hole. What really get you in the doors are searching for "opportunities", getting in touch with recruiters in person, and networking. You just never know how an opportunity may present itself. But, don't under-value your talent only becuase you don't have enough experience. They are different set of personal skills all together.

Good luck

Comment

Hmmm

Confidence is the key. Well whenever you apply, apply with confidence, and go to any interview (if called) with confidence. If the most educated and talented person in this World lacks confidence, no one will hire him for even the lowest category of the jobs.

Before you apply for the job, just forget about your qualification and every thing, sit, relax, and try to imagine the responsibilities associated with the job. If you guess you can deliver the requirements. Apply for the job. The chances of having an interview call depends on a lot of factor, most importantly luck. So never feel discouraged if you are not called for the interview. Keep in mind that getting a job is always difficult. If you are called for the interview, try to tell what you have imagined before and insist that only you are the savior or right person.

You can freely post, your resume, letter on the net, no one can copy them unless in case of a very strong resemblance, and that too if a creep.

Keep on sharing your thoughts about the job and related issues, even if you get a job, just to let others know and decide better if they come across such a situation.

Comment

Working...
              X