Jobs in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jobs in Canada

How easy is it to find a job in Canada, in the education sector?

What qualifications do I need?

I am thinking either Toronto or Vancouver (it looked great on TV). Seriously though, is it hard to migrant workers to find employment over there?

I regard it as a "safer version of America"? Accurate?

Thanks,
    Oh well. *shrugs*

Re: Jobs in Canada

To be able to teach in schools here, based on your goals, you'd need to go to Teacher's College and get a B.Ed. or a diploma in Early Childhood Education.

Knowing that you're interested in teaching history, you will probably be applying for a secondary school teacher (Gr. 9 - 12) because that's where you can specialize in social sciences. Since you already have a Masters, I think you'll get credits for many courses at Teacher's College.

You'll prolly also need to spend a good 4 - 6 months as a volunteer at a school.

I'm in Ontario and am familiar with the process here. OISE (Ontario Institute for Studies in Education) would be a useful resource for answering many of your questions. I think they also have a specific section for people with international credentials who want to teach.
    Check out the main site at: http://www.oise.utoronto.ca/

Muslim_Queen would also be able to provide more useful pointers cuz she's in the process of becoming a teacher herself

As far as we being a safer version of America - I'd rather not comment on that cuz they're no match
    For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

Umar yaar I am doing my MA next year. I have a place lined up, but have opted for a gap year. I have never laid claim to having one at the moment. You must have misunderstood at some point.

According to the NY Board of Ed. (who I emailed), they need English teachers and not social studies teachers. Is it likely to be the same in Canada?

To be honest, I am at a loss of what I want to do with my life, I just fall back on teaching as a possible option.

Any advice?
      Oh well. *shrugs*

Comment

^ from what I know, there is demand for secondary school teachers who specialize in social sciences... I'll lookup the exact stats for you. So you can count on the opportunities being there as long as you have the qualifications.

So you have a B.A. Hons. in History then? If so, then you can still specialize in teaching History at the High School level by completing a full-year at Teacher's college and getting a B.Ed. but you'll need the requisite volunteer experience to go along with it.

For people with a Masters, the requirements are a little more relaxed and they can often upgrade their credentials within a term or two.

w.r.t. "falling back on teaching" - errr... I dunno what to say man... doesn't look like you're too enthralled about it and I can't say if you'll like to be a teacher in the longer term. Teaching high-school students is verrrry verrrry difficult. I've seen teachers cry in schools and you need a lot of motivation and persistence to stick to this career-track.

A gap year is something that could definitely help you gather your thoughts and work out a plan for yourself. What's your work-experience so far? I'd definitely advise having a couple of years of work-experience before attempting another credential upgrade. Why not volunteer at a school part-time while working somewhere else full-time?
        For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

I've done volunteer work at a school. 6 weeks, alongside my undergraduate final semester. I quite enjoyed it. Thats where the "teaching as a career" line comes from.

But I really am a mess with regards to what career I want. I am not sure if a MA is the best thing for me, or if I want a total change of field or what not.

Is teacher's college a PGCE equivalent? Do I need a B.Ed aswell as a BA/MA ?

Yes can you plz find what subjects are high need areas. Thanks.
          Oh well. *shrugs*

Comment

my sister has completed her BEd with honours from York University. Its been a year now, and she is still looking for a job. She says, the only way to land a teaching job is if you have connections, if ur a male (and even better if ur a minority)..at least for the primary schools (which is her field)...she says its really fusterating...she even has teachign experience (since shes taught grade 2-3 at a private school for a year)....good luck to u!
            "Seek Allah's help with patient perseverance and prayer. It is indeed hard except for those who are humble." (2:45)

Comment

One of my friend who was here in U.S, had 3-5 years experience in VB and HTML. The poor guy moved to canada and it has been almost 2 years and he is making only $4.00 Canadain dollar at some grocery store of some desi guy. I have heard that Canadian officials lie about the oppertunites and chnace for better life. I think they just want migrants's money and then these poor folks work the jobs that poor Mexicans work in U.S. primarily in restuarents, grocery store, security guards etc. May be their kids would have a better future but for them it is a living hell ( and of course it is toooo cold there )

Comment

^ hashmijee... what I'd like to know is the type of personal initiative this person took to get a good job here. He's earning an honest & earnest living and that's commendable but most desis just give up too easily and blame the system.

VB & HTML can only lead to very limited opportunities - this is the type of thing organizations will get volunteers and high school students to do for them, so if that's the only portfolio, then it wouldn't take them anywhere. Has he tried upgrading his credentials? Does he have an Online Portfolio highlighting his abilities (sample websites etc.)? Has he tried doing work for a NFP Organization (often this leads to other opportunities).

Also, I always tell people to look in the right places... relying solely on job ads in newspapers or websites (the worst medium of all) is very ineffective.

There are quite a few of us on this board from Canada. Let me/us know if I/we can help in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by hashmijee
                  One of my friend who was here in U.S, had 3-5 years experience in VB and HTML. The poor guy moved to canada and it has been almost 2 years and he is making only $4.00 Canadain dollar at some grocery store of some desi guy. I have heard that Canadian officials lie about the oppertunites and chnace for better life. I think they just want migrants's money and then these poor folks work the jobs that poor Mexicans work in U.S. primarily in restuarents, grocery store, security guards etc. May be their kids would have a better future but for them it is a living hell ( and of course it is toooo cold there )
                  Please dont read into your friend's words - I do feel sorry for him but in all honesty VB, HTML wont take you anywhere. HTML - nobody writes it any more - there are tools which generate it for you - 5-6 years ago maybe companies wanted HTML coders, high school kids can do it. Its obselete and gone.

VB is a very specialized programming language - Im being very generous here personally I think VB is not even a programming language but thats just my opinion. VB is just part of the whole picture of the .NET scheme of things - it wont land you a job.

Canada has excellent oppurtunities - but you wont make the big bucks until you are atleast university qualified (if someone does a internship he's the king - companies will hire them on the spot... - I have seen it happen - a friend of mine landed a computer science job with 70K starting salary and he only did 4 months of internship).

Dont beleive anything people say - they are always looking for shortcuts - do some blah 6 month diploma and get a 100K salary?!? - it aint happening ever. You have to get a university degree atleast and make sure you get your foot in the right doors(internhips, coop jobs etc....). Its hard work , very hard work sometimes but its hard for everyone.

Comment

ok, I was not really particular. I am not 100% of how much VB did he know. He had just given me a broad idea of what he did. I think it involved some asp as well. This what I am talking about is more than 6 -7 years back. He was employed by Bell atlantic in Dallas, TX. When he got his Canadian papers he got transfered to Edmonton. The office in Edmonton was operating for a while but after 1 1/2 years they laid off everyone. My friend was one of them. Although he had a degree from US, not a CS degree but regardless of that he had professional working experience.

I have lost touch with him for the last few months, the poor guy was so depressed. He was a bit slow but still, he did have years of professional experience. he was no diploma chaap person who did not know anything.
                    I hope he finds some job soon.

I do agree with you that if you are educated in Canada then the oppertunities are far more. I think I said that when I said Kids of the immigrants will do better than their parents.

Comment

From what I have seen and observed in Canada - here you dont get the recognition for your education unless the edcuation is from Canada within itself- its a very bitter truth for all the immigrants - doctors and engineers working at stores its a pathetic state but its true.

You wont live a high life here unless you have your own business or decide to get educated here. Do one of the two and you can live like a king here - seriously. Jobs for VB, ASP. html ususally get adverstised in newspapers and you dont need a college degree for that - but the pay sucks too - its like 25K - 30K - not a lot of money.

Comment

I think the problem is that there are few jobs but still many many new immigrants are coming and trying to start new. Most of the immigrants are very competative. Studying is difficult for adults who really need to start working ASAP to support their family. But, it sure is a good advice for many to consider.

Comment

Adults - yeah I understand its hard for them but you know what most desis I know come here -18-20 years old - college age - start working at the damn stores because they have never seen dollar bills in their lives...

Its pathetic - very few desis I know who come here and bust their as* studying and getting into the "real canadian industry" - the industry that drives the economy and country here. Its very competitive - most just chicken out without even trying. Perhaps its the lacklustre attitude of most desis but who knows - whats the honour in leaving your country to drive taxis and work at gas startions?

I think most immigrants should evalaute their pros/cons before coming here - otherwise like most just suffer here and then call that 'Canada is a useless' just because when thay arrived nobody gave them a 100K job. Its sometimes hard to believe how we desis think....

Comment

How easy is it to find a job in Canada, in the education sector?

Although the teacher shortage in Ontario is over, I am not too sure about the rest of Canada. Qualified folks are still needed to fill specialized teaching roles.

Another indicator of specialized shortages can be found in the number of school board requests for hiring and assignment exemptions each year. In each of the past three years, school boards have required between 2,700 and 3,000 special authorizations for regulatory exemptions because they were unsuccessful in their attempts to recruit appropriately qualified teachers for advertised job vacancies – through both Letters of Permission and Temporary Letters of Approval (TLA).

Ministry of Education data on Letters of Permission issued to school boards to hire individuals who are not qualified as teachers in Ontario shows that school boards continue to be unsuccessful in recruiting certified teachers for more than 1,200 openings each year.

Among the areas for which school boards could not find certified teachers are French first language, French and English as second languages, technological studies, foreign languages, business studies, Special Education, sciences and mathematics.

The College of Teachers issues TLAs when school boards wish to assign a licensed teacher without the specific qualifications required for the assignment because they have tried but were unable to recruit teachers with the required additional qualifications for the assignments.

The 2003–04 school year saw a record number of these TLAs, with 1,500 authorizations across the province. French as a Second Language, Special Education, teacher librarian, technological studies and English as a Second Language each reached their highest annual numbers of TLAs province-wide since the inception of the College in the 2003–04 school year.

With the threat of the general teacher shortage successfully met, attention and resources will still be needed to address the persisting shortages for qualified teachers in certain specialized roles – French first and second language, sciences, mathematics and technology. Targeted recruitment and induction support can help to relieve these remaining pressures facing Ontario's school boards.

More effort is needed to attract and support French-language teacher education candidates as well as individuals with science, mathematics and technical backgrounds.
                            What qualifications do I need?

If you wish to teach general studies in the publicly funded school system in Ontario, you must submit evidence you have successfully completed a postsecondary degree (minimum three years of full-time study) and one year of teacher education when you apply for your licence to teach.

If you wish to teach technological studies, you must have a secondary school diploma equivalent to the Ontario secondary school graduation diploma, have successfully completed one year of teacher education and provide proof of wage-earning experience and competency.

I am thinking either Toronto or Vancouver (it looked great on TV). Seriously though, is it hard to migrant workers to find employment over there?
                            I regard it as a "safer version of America"? Accurate?How easy is it to find a job in Canada, in the education sector?

I know for certain that part time teachers, TAs, and ESL, and special ed teaching positions are fairly common in terms of availability. Not too sure about the rest.

teaching
                            "Today in heaven they opened up a new chest dedicated to charity. It's name ?"

Comment

desis should never come here to work unless they plan on going back to school here in canada. If you plan on coming here and working a professional job, dont count on it. Its more likley you will end up driving a cab or working at a gas station than working as a teacher

Comment

Working...
                              X