• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"NO" to India investors

Pakistan rejects India investors

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4521629.stm

Shaukat Aziz says that he wants an honest dialogue with India

Pakistan's prime minister has said that Indian companies will continue to be barred from investing in Pakistan, until progress is made over Kashmir.
    Shaukat Aziz was speaking in the Malaysian capital, Kuala Lumpur, where he urged other countries to increase investment in Pakistan.

But Mr Aziz said he was optimistic that relations with India were improving.

India and Pakistan both claim Kashmir. The issue is the biggest hurdle in peace talks between the two countries.

'Three to tango'

"The atmospherics between the two countries are getting better," Mr Aziz said.

"Trade has increased and we hope gradually other forms of economic cooperation - be it investment, be it freer trade, more travel - will happen."

Correspondents say that although Pakistan has no formal ban on Indian investment, it has not approved any proposals in the past.

"The issue is complex. It involves three stake holders - Pakistan, India, the Kashmiri people.

"To resolve this issue all three will have to show magnanimity, courage, flexibility and leadership. It takes three to tango," Mr Aziz said during a visit to Malaysia.

He said that Pakistan has an open economy and that there were no sectors that were not open to foreign investors.

The Pakistan of today and tomorrow is a Pakistan of opportunities

But he said that he wanted to see "progress on all issues" with India before they would be allowed to invest.

He said that if all the parties involved in the dispute could embark in an "honest open dialogue" he was confident that the Kashmir issue could be resolved.

Resisted calls

The prime minister also said that Pakistan may send nuclear-centrifuge equipment to the United Nations to help an investigation into Iran's nuclear programme.

Pakistan has so far resisted calls to hand over the parts.

The former head of the Pakistani nuclear programme, Abdul Qadeer Khan, admitted last year that he had passed nuclear technology to Iran, Libya and North Korea.

Re: "NO" to India investors

what a moron...let's hope it is more bombast than policy....
    Now repeat after me...."Jeter is the prophet and Rivera is the savior"

Comment

so much for economic measures. pakistan continues to sacrifice development beause of religious hatred.

In the process they continue to be the us lapdog politically, chinese market economically, arab wannabe culturally.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinstripe Danda
        what a moron...let's hope it is more bombast than policy....
        He is the former VP of citibank, finance minister and now Prime minister of a country, and you are?

gangu teli na ho to
        So our life
        is a drop of dew -- and yet
        And yet...

Comment

citibank has 350 VP's You should know better

Comment

Originally posted by ashtray
            He is the former VP of citibank, finance minister and now Prime minister of a country, and you are?

gangu teli na ho to
            that's not much of a qual - I know managers of 3 teller branches called SVPs in large banks - total title inflation. I'll be surprised if Citi doesn't have a 1000 VPs or more...350 corporate VPs may be. I probably know a couple of dozen and a 100 ex VPs there

and being a minister in pakistan - that may mean something after the dictatorship is over but right now all that makes him is a weak powerless PM in a banana republic run by a general. What was that Dreyfus movie, Moon over Parador? same thing - chandsitara oopar pakistan

Comment

To be fair to ShortCut Aziz, he was the number 3 man at Citibank.....Still, this is an idiotic decision.....
              "Mai baap Amreeka has decided to breakup Pakistan, MQM will support Amreeka and I will not stop killing pukhtoons" - Pir Altaf Bhaggorra of Landan...

Comment

Originally posted by Pinstripe Danda
                citibank has 350 VP's You should know better
                precisely, and the last i checked you were not in the list.
                So our life
                is a drop of dew -- and yet
                And yet...

Comment

^ that is because I am above that rank..chanda.

Comment

Its time not ripe kinda things. Some one calls him a moron knows his guys. But thats not him dude. You slipped!

Change this superiority complex atittude sooner the better. India can faulter in details and make blunders. SA has quite a few things skecthed out so relax.
                    *~*~* Thread-napper*~*~*
                    Down loading, Please wait ,,,,,,,Your Thread is being shredded into bits !

Comment

I don't believe this decision has got anything to do with Kashmir, Aziz is too clever for such bogus 'statements'. However this is one of the two popular stmts that majority of illiterate ppl will easily buy. GOP doesn't trust Indian intentions and that with good reason, we all need to protect our selves. In worst case you can 'let' ppl invest in key industries and they can take put economical pressure on Pak whenever they want, or better take out their money, pushing Pak close to a quick bankruptcy.

That said, stronger financial ties will / can improve relationship between the two countries. India is bigger, in size at least, which means that she will have a natural stronger financial position in the long run, that is if Pak doesn't have a solid eco policy. I think that once Pak decides on a financial and economical policy that Pak believes in, GOP will be more willing to trust foreign investors even from 'enemy states'.

Comment

Originally posted by sabah
                        I don't believe this decision has got anything to do with Kashmir, Aziz is too clever for such bogus 'statements'. However this is one of the two popular stmts that majority of illiterate ppl will easily buy. GOP doesn't trust Indian intentions and that with good reason, we all need to protect our selves. In worst case you can 'let' ppl invest in key industries and they can take put economical pressure on Pak whenever they want, or better take out their money, pushing Pak close to a quick bankruptcy.

That said, stronger financial ties will / can improve relationship between the two countries. India is bigger, in size at least, which means that she will have a natural stronger financial position in the long run, that is if Pak doesn't have a solid eco policy. I think that once Pak decides on a financial and economical policy that Pak believes in, GOP will be more willing to trust foreign investors even from 'enemy states'.
                        --------cvabn----------

Couldn’t 'eve said it better
                        aweeee,, my back pain,,,
                        *~*~* Thread-napper*~*~*
                        Down loading, Please wait ,,,,,,,Your Thread is being shredded into bits !

Comment

Shaukat Aziz (a former Citi Group executive) and Pres. Musharraf-- argueably the best leadership Pakistan can have hoped for in today's world.
                          "You can bomb the world into pieces, but you can't bomb it to peace."

Comment

Originally posted by Sohail Style
                            Shaukat Aziz (a former Citi Group executive) and Pres. Musharraf-- argueably the best leadership Pakistan can have hoped for in today's world.
                            this is really sad....a tin can dictator and a retired banker is the best you can find? sounds like pakistanis have given up hope ....sad.

Comment

Working...
                            X