Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here got experience working for the United Nations any of its agencies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here got experience working for the United Nations any of its agencies?

Is working for the UN or one of its many agencies a good career choice?

Reason why I ask is because over the weekend, my wife and I were introduced to a UNHCR officer at an embassy party, and they recommended that my wife apply for a vacant position in external relations at the local office. In the past, she used to work for the European Commission as an assistant public relations officer before we got married, and also has a degree in public relations. Her first language is German, but she is fluent in French & English.

She quit her job 4 years ago, so she could switch countries and move in with me. But is willing to give this a shot, if there is a chance for genuine career progression.
    "Some people believe that necessity is the mother of Invention, but they're wrong, its War" - James May

I do not know any such person directly but in Pakistan I knew some UN employees indirectly. I think having worked for the UN even for a small project would look great on resume, let alone working for the UN long term. Do not hesitate to apply and do not worry about rejection.

Comment

Originally posted by decentGuy View Post
      I do not know any such person directly but in Pakistan I knew some UN employees indirectly. I think having worked for the UN even for a small project would look great on resume, let alone working for the UN long term. Do not hesitate to apply and do not worry about rejection.
      While it might look great on a resume. I wonder if there is any real career progression within the organization, though. Or would one just be stuck with whatever position they were hired at, just with the word senior added to it.

My wife has already applied for the position. Our contact at the UNHCR office has informed us that human resources have received her resume, and are currently in the process of shortlisting suitable candidates, but it looks good so far.
      "Some people believe that necessity is the mother of Invention, but they're wrong, its War" - James May

Comment

I say give it a shot bro!. My cousin closely works with UN and so far...one of the best experience eva working with them! Wish yaa all the best..
        "Har Koi Deta Hai Zakham Gin Gin Kay ....
        Mein Kis Kis Zakham Ko Apna Naseeb Samjhoon"
        By Royal Gala

Comment

Originally posted by Xtron View Post
          I say give it a shot bro!. My cousin closely works with UN and so far...one of the best experience eva working with them! Wish yaa all the best..
          Thanks. Wife has been short-listed for a second interview. The hiring process can take up to 3 months, but we're hopeful.

Comment

Working...
          X