Working Night Shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working Night Shift

Is there anyone here who works the night shift? I have been working the night shift for the past few months and it is affecting my productivity and focus negatively. It messes up my body's internal clock. Although the hours I sleep are still the same, yet the quality of sleep is not even half of what sleeping during night is like.

I wonder if other's have had similar experiences and if they found some trick to reset their minds to night mode?

Are you working remote or in office? If I remember correctly Smoke N Mirror was working in night shift, not sure about now.

If you can I would suggest give yourself little breaks in the middle. And do some cardio exercises like pushups, squats, situps or whatever possible. Btw pushups always help your mind staying active and also getting rid of drowsiness.

Overall working night is never a healthy thing so try switching it up when you can.
    Attitude is more important than facts.
    "Life is 10% what happens to us..and 90% of how we react to it"

Comment

Is it not possible for you to alternate between day & night shifts?
      "Some people believe that necessity is the mother of Invention, but they're wrong, its War" - James May

Comment

Originally posted by SID_NY View Post
        Are you working remote or in office? If I remember correctly Smoke N Mirror was working in night shift, not sure about now.

If you can I would suggest give yourself little breaks in the middle. And do some cardio exercises like pushups, squats, situps or whatever possible. Btw pushups always help your mind staying active and also getting rid of drowsiness.

Overall working night is never a healthy thing so try switching it up when you can.
        Unfortunately I don’t have much of a choice in avoiding night shift for at least next 5 to 6 months. I’m working remotely from home. I will try doing some exercises as you suggested. In the beginning it worked out great as everyone else was asleep and there was a quiet atmosphere. But now I keep experiencing what many describe as brain fog. Things such as forgetfulness and losing stream of thought. Perhaps it's rooted in not getting quality sleep. Also my mind is so fresh toward the end of my shift, but it is so lousy when I’m starting in the evening. I want it to be the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by a7mado View Post
          Not possible, I have to stick to night shift for a while. But I think alternating b/w day & night shift will be even crazier.

Comment

SID_NY

Wow. I am impressed. I think I only mentioned it once on the forum.

That's right I am working nights from start of 2018 and it doesn't bother me much because I am a night guy and it worked for me somehow.

But having a young family and my elder son will be starting school (once we have some relief from Covid) and I think things will start to get difficult.

The only issue I have is sometimes when starting the week or in between when I am not able to sleep on time because of travel/ household work, that day feels like hell and I start to pass out 2-3 hours before the shift.

OP what kind of industry/job are you doing?

Comment

• SID_NY
              SID_NY commented
              Editing a comment
              curse of having a dog's memory bro, its v brutal trust me

Smoke N Mirror
            Thanks for sharing your experience.
            Good to know working nights worked out for you and that too for so long. You can say I’ve to compile end-of-day reports of various kinds such as inventory, maintenance issues, etc. so any pressing issue could be addressed first thing next morning. My shift starts with phone calls, meetings and emails with people who are ending their day. I need to be super alert during all that, but my internal clock tells me it’s time to go home like everyone else !

I’ve never done night shifts but had to take this one. It rotates among employees and at this time it was my turn. Couldn’t wait for this to get over.

Comment

Originally posted by a7mado View Post
              Night shift is supposedly bad for your health but alternating between day and night shifts is the worst case scenario. You would never get any good sleep and be a walking zombie.

I did the alternating shifts two times when we were doing hypercare in 2019. I got through it because we did it for less than two months but I saw plenty of cars in ditches and stories about workers in manufacturing dropping dead to not try it again. I was IT so we generally sat in a room with some on the floor support but I could totally see why the company was hiring all the time with four 10 hour shifts.

Comment

Working...
              X