Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Occupy wallstreet?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by SID_NY View Post
    Looks like this bubble is also busted

    I miss the expert opinion of Southie and queer on finances..
    While no expert, I will add my two paisa to the business forum as time permits!
    Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Southie View Post

      While no expert, I will add my two paisa to the business forum as time permits!
      Southie, noticed you'd mentioned AMAT several years ago. Hope you bought and held on!
      Simple ain't easy.

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by queer View Post

        Southie, noticed you'd mentioned AMAT several years ago. Hope you bought and held on!
        queer, good to see a familiar name. Great memory. AMAT was a favorite cyclical stock that i would buy at circa 10, and sell between 20 to 25. So yes, ai got rid of it at around 20-25. And it is now at 130 I think. About 4 weeks back, i oicked up one share at around 130. Hooing for price to go down and buy incrementally on the way down.

        i have had some bad buys with GE and TEVA. Break even for GE 30 pct loss for TEVA. Bought oil stocks and sold them for prfot. Rinse nd repat one more time. Now am out of oil. Did miss the last 20 pct move. But better to book profit than extract the last punce of profit.

        Have accumulated pharma shares at lower prices so doing alright there.

        Didnt touch tech stocks, so didnt make money on aapl goog fb msft etc.

        niblling in INTC Little at a time. Ditto ibm and MMM or 3M

        Got out of us mutual funds at snp 500 level of 2600 to 2900. So you can say i left a lot on the table.
        Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Southie View Post

          queer, good to see a familiar name. Great memory. AMAT was a favorite cyclical stock that i would buy at circa 10, and sell between 20 to 25. So yes, ai got rid of it at around 20-25. And it is now at 130 I think. About 4 weeks back, i oicked up one share at around 130. Hooing for price to go down and buy incrementally on the way down.

          i have had some bad buys with GE and TEVA. Break even for GE 30 pct loss for TEVA. Bought oil stocks and sold them for prfot. Rinse nd repat one more time. Now am out of oil. Did miss the last 20 pct move. But better to book profit than extract the last punce of profit.

          Have accumulated pharma shares at lower prices so doing alright there.

          Didnt touch tech stocks, so didnt make money on aapl goog fb msft etc.

          niblling in INTC Little at a time. Ditto ibm and MMM or 3M

          Got out of us mutual funds at snp 500 level of 2600 to 2900. So you can say i left a lot on the table.


          What do you think about $TSLA? I didnt buy it when it was 600 thinking its overvalued. Look at it now, it crossed 1200

          I hate Elon musk

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Gothamist View Post



            What do you think about $TSLA? I didnt buy it when it was 600 thinking its overvalued. Look at it now, it crossed 1200

            I hate Elon musk
            I am a boring stock picker. Which means i missed out in aaple, google, facebook, netflix, and yes Tesla.

            I would agree with you in NOT picking tesla at 600. And now it is douboemthat which jeans it is twice as overvalued.

            its market cap is 1.1 trillion us dollars. That is insane. EVs will become a commodity. There will be competition. FM market cap is only about 90 billion is dollars. That is 12 times lower. Either tesla has to go down or gm has to go up or both bo down with trsla going down more.

            Warren buffet has two rules
            1) dont lose money
            2) dont forget rule 1

            so do not regret ur decision just becaise the stock went up. Habe a process and stick to it.

            my process is NOT to buy overvalued stocks. Then i dont regret if those stocks go up further.
            Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

            Comment


              #21
              Southie how do you pick a stock? I mean can we do it without going insane in numbers? I know a lot of people tell to check P/E ratio, but is that it? I know some people who go very deep while analysing a stock but jeez i cant do it yet. Looks like need to learn a whole lot to be there
              Attitude is more important than facts.
              "Life is 10% what happens to us..and 90% of how we react to it"

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by SID_NY View Post
                Southie how do you pick a stock? I mean can we do it without going insane in numbers? I know a lot of people tell to check P/E ratio, but is that it? I know some people who go very deep while analysing a stock but jeez i cant do it yet. Looks like need to learn a whole lot to be there
                Sid, it probably is best to stick with index funds such as total market index fund for US, and similar index funds for europe. Or pick one international fund for non us, and one us total market index fund. And dollar cost average.

                Individual srocks are fraught with risks. I simply look at whi h sectors are undervalued and buynstocks within them. Back in 2014 or 2015 bought oil stocks and sold them six months ago at decent profit. Why did i sell? Because i felt in long run, we are weanimg ourselves drom oil. But since then oil stocks have gone up some more. But no regrets. I had a thesis which may very well turn out to be right in the ling run.

                i ahve accumulated pharma stocks iver last several,years. Buy tehem wheneve there is bad news sich as patent expirtion amd then hold on for ling term.

                I dont chase aaple google facebook tesla etc. they are too overvalued. I have been “wrong” since theynhave hone up a lot and made others a lot of money.

                To pick stocks i look at balamce sheet income statement and cash flow. PE ratio is from income statement. I also look at price to sales.

                But if a company balance sheet is weak, i ont touch it no matter the PE ratio.
                Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Southie View Post

                  Sid, it probably is best to stick with index funds such as total market index fund for US, and similar index funds for europe. Or pick one international fund for non us, and one us total market index fund. And dollar cost average.

                  Individual srocks are fraught with risks. I simply look at whi h sectors are undervalued and buynstocks within them. Back in 2014 or 2015 bought oil stocks and sold them six months ago at decent profit. Why did i sell? Because i felt in long run, we are weanimg ourselves drom oil. But since then oil stocks have gone up some more. But no regrets. I had a thesis which may very well turn out to be right in the ling run.

                  i ahve accumulated pharma stocks iver last several,years. Buy tehem wheneve there is bad news sich as patent expirtion amd then hold on for ling term.

                  I dont chase aaple google facebook tesla etc. they are too overvalued. I have been “wrong” since theynhave hone up a lot and made others a lot of money.

                  To pick stocks i look at balamce sheet income statement and cash flow. PE ratio is from income statement. I also look at price to sales.

                  But if a company balance sheet is weak, i ont touch it no matter the PE ratio.

                  I dont know much about index funds. Which one do you recommend?

                  Few months back i was looking into day trading. Its interesting but once again it needs a thorough understanding of stocks. Do you recommend day trading? Ok may be not a single day but say week trading where a stock can be sold in 1-2 days? Not sure if there is a technical term for any such thing

                  I've made some mistakes and got some overvalued stocks myself and now they are down and im just sitting on them. Dont want to sell them at a loss as it doesnt make sense to me.
                  Attitude is more important than facts.
                  "Life is 10% what happens to us..and 90% of how we react to it"

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X