How will you mentor someone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How will you mentor someone?

Sometimes we may want to clone ourselves so we could meet all the deadlines, but since that is not yet possible. The next option is to delegate some work. But, as we know, that is not so simple as it sounds. For example, if a restaurant manager wants to train someone to wash dishes, there are several things involved that will have to be done right. Things such as telling in advance when the soap is about to run out, cleaning dishes properly while consuming as little water as possible, not clogging the drains, drying the dishes, disposing off the leftovers properly, so on and so forth.

Let’s say you have to train someone to do some tasks so you could focus on other things. Following are some objectives in order of priority that you care about:

1- The delegated work does not return back to your desk after being messed up.
    2- The training should take minimal time of yours.
    3- Once training is complete, the delegated work requires minimum or no supervision by you.

How will you go about mentoring someone to achieve those objectives ?

You'll need to give more time in the training initially in order to not have the delegated work come back to you later on.
    During the training period, start from A and move on till Z. Go in with the expectation that the trainee knows absolutely nothing.
    Be kind and understanding so that the trainee feels comfortable enough to ask questions when he/she is confused during the training period. This will reduce the questions that come up later on when he/she is stuck.
    Write down all the problems you faced when you were new to that role and make sure you tell him about it and how you resolved it.
    At the end of the training, let him know you trust him/her to get the job done well.
    ​​
    Last edited by LP; Nov 26, 2020, 05:04 PM. Reason: Missed the word 'trust'
    Be someone that makes YOU happy

Comment

Thats an interesting scenario. I would like to know more too.

I just think the first step is to know your mentee more. I know its not the usual direction since the mentees or employees are "supposed to" know more but still. For a good working relationship and efficiency the mentor/boss should start knowing more.
      Attitude is more important than facts.
      "Life is 10% what happens to us..and 90% of how we react to it"

Comment

@LP
        Those are great points. I think having some sort of training doc/manual could help as well especially when people can forget stuff when too much info is given to them at once. Also I liked the point about telling them how you learned something, and walk them through the experience little bit. The challenge sometimes is to convince an individual to do things that take more effort when an easier option is available. Things like best practices for doing something. Continuing with the dish washing example, it’s easy to throw stuff in drains which would clog them because unclogging drains is not their job.

Comment

Originally posted by decentGuy View Post
          @LP
          Those are great points. I think having some sort of training doc/manual could help as well especially when people can forget stuff when too much info is given to them at once. Also I liked the point about telling them how you learned something, and walk them through the experience little bit. The challenge sometimes is to convince an individual to do things that take more effort when an easier option is available. Things like best practices for doing something. Continuing with the dish washing example, it’s easy to throw stuff in drains which would clog them because unclogging drains is not their job.
          Oh yes, a training manual along with a best practices guide would be great
          Be someone that makes YOU happy

Comment

No spam plz!
            Last edited by SID_NY; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
            X