Having a Degree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having a Degree?

So How important or relevant it is nowadays? Are you working in your field for what you have studied?

My degree is my identity. It made me who I am. All I’d say its type of degree that is important than to have just any degree for the sake of it.
    I'm either at work, in gym, working in the garden, or in my beautiful wife's arms!

Comment

Sometimes education makes you dumb, sometimes it makes you smart. First thing in learning is unlearning. I have met the dumbest PHDs, Doctors, Dentists and very smart trades people.. I graduated as an engineer, did my MBA but working in Real Estate, loved every minute of it.

Comment

My Degree is BS in Me............

see if anyone can Guess except....Not YOU Bobby1..............You are Master in BS.....NO OFFENCE
        Last edited by Obama; May 10, 2020, 04:26 AM.
        We don't see things as they are; we see things as we are!

Comment

Its a deep question. I think the answer varies from field to field.

I've got two masters. Both in different fields. First one I never used in my jobs. However I got my first job in one of the top organization on the base of that.

Second masters was in my adopted career and hence that helped a lot as well.

Trust on this. Whatever you study, it'll never ever go in vain. However, you gotto be very smart in making the right decision/choice
          Attitude is more important than facts.
          "Life is 10% what happens to us..and 90% of how we react to it"

Comment

• decentGuy
            decentGuy commented
            Editing a comment
            I think getting that first job is so crucial. BTW nice to know you got 2 masters !

A theoretical response will cover all the edge cases and exceptions, but will be of no use for a teenager weighing the worth of a degree. I myself used to question education a lot and find its faults. The story of Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Shahid Afridis, Malik Riazs, etc. made way more sense. One thing that helped me was the realization that the more I question education, the harder it will get for me to attain it. Not fully convinced but under "intense encouragement", I pushed myself harder and harder to get as much formal education as I could. Now I am so grateful for that. There was no way for me as a teenager to have grasped the complicated role formal education plays in one’s career, especially in landing that all important first professional job. Without formal education I would have been screened out way sooner.

Tactics of HR people for pre-screening candidates shook me recently. According to a HR person, the cost of a bad hire is far more than the cost of rejecting a good hire, so they up their bar with every new hire, throwing more online tests and quizzes at an applicant even before the hiring manager gets on the phone with the applicant. That is when rounds of actual interviews begin.

Many recent graduates I know are having such tough time finding a job that they have all but given up. Yet, I say if someone can get a degree, they should. In the best possible field and from the best possible institution. It certainly improves the odds faced by a job seeker.

Comment

Education is very important..nevertheless!. As people suggested..really depends on what people do with it. If ya're doctor, Engineer or lawyer, Accounting or Financial analyst or scientist..hell yaa..ya need a degree and be certified.
            If ya just done the general business degree...the odds might not be in your favour. Say if ya have got a business or psychological degree..then..your experience in whichever industry counts more than your degree. For instance, I interviewed some chap who just had Business Admin degree..and had pretty extensive experience in the Construction field which we were looking for..
            Long behold..he had brilliantly out-performed his associates in the job field who were senior than him hence was rewarded. And got himself certified in his construction field.

What i am saying is...one needs to have fine tune balance and be specialized on his or her field. And ya can only achieve it by gaining experience and getting right and be specialized in your field. And specializing can only be done by getting right education..
            "Har Koi Deta Hai Zakham Gin Gin Kay ....
            Mein Kis Kis Zakham Ko Apna Naseeb Samjhoon"
            By Royal Gala

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby1 View Post
              . I have met the dumbest PHDs, Doctors, Dentists .. .
              ditto
              having gone through the process myself I can personally vouch for it
              problem is in any field in medicine [atleast] you just need perseverance and not necessarily intelligence
              plus they "look smart" to the average person when they talk about science and medicines /lab tests etc but they have just learned a trade and are not generally well rounded individuals

e.g sunday school teacher in our community was a hijabi [ uggh need i say more] doctor who "volunteered " to teach kids in our school.God dammit she thought the Prophet s.a.w died in Makkah and not Medina.For someone like me who have such deep respect for Ansar r.a amongst the sahaba it was a slap in the face I was livid to say the least ! who appointed her to this position ? ofcourse connections and her being a doctor and hubby being a doc helped greatly.

To me truly intelligent people are philosophers , inventors and thinkers , for everyone else they are just following a well trodden path already set by trend setting trail blazing individuals.

so just keep humming this when you meet such professionals and get on with your life
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peclQi67KS8

Comment

Last edited by Mademoiselle; May 11, 2020, 02:07 PM.
                Pyaar waliyan nu nayio vekh sakda zamaana..

Comment

Das Reich every day in life is learning, a guy learns 4 years in college, another may learn every day in life ans will end up smarter and more successful. I used to work with this guy, barely completed high school bur disciplined, structured organized, charming and is worth in 100s of millions. I came across this manlet who had two majors and a masters and loved using flowery language with big words and gloated about his education and one day I couldnt take it any more and had to tell him if education did not teach you about bad breath and BO than that education is not worth much.
                  Last edited by Bobby1; May 11, 2020, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby1 View Post
                    Das Reich every day in life is learning, a guy learns 4 years in college, another may learn every day in life ans will end up smarter and more successful. I used to work with this guy, barely completed high school bur disciplined, structured organized, charming and is worth in 100s of millions. I came across this manlet who had two majors and a masters and loved using flowery language with big words and gloated about his education and one day I couldnt take it any more and had to tell him if education did not teach you about bad breath and BO than that education is not worth much.
                    haha he used the entirely organic vegan cologne BO ?

I find that a lot with very "highly educated " people they are one trick ponies and cannot have a conversation outside a very narrow spectrum but pretend to be experts on everything in life

Comment

I think people are getting confused here somewhat. A good degree cannot guarantee a good personality, sense of humour or emotional intelligence, but it does help in gaining a reasonably paying respectable job. Surely some people can achieve great success without formal education but then you have to be quite clever for this, intelligence is the key that leads to self-confidence and ability to take risks. Sadly, a greater proportion of this intelligence is inherited not learned.

The world is full of ordinary folks going about their ordinary lives and doing ordinary jobs, its not full of college or university drop-out Gates and Jobs. For someone not born in royalty and does not have the street-smartness and opportunistic eye of a self-made millionaire, working hard (or smart) towards a reasonably well-desired degree is still the best option.
                      I'm either at work, in gym, working in the garden, or in my beautiful wife's arms!

Comment

Originally posted by Das Reich View Post

haha he used the entirely organic vegan cologne BO ?

I find that a lot with very "highly educated " people they are one trick ponies and cannot have a conversation outside a very narrow spectrum but pretend to be experts on everything in life
                        Perhaps you encountered some rude person with a big degree and now just dislike them all. Everybody is not the same. I believe people represent themselves first and foremost. Everything else comes later. For example, pick your worst neighbor/colleague. Don’t you hate the country he was born in, the school he went to, the neighborhood he lived in, the phone he uses, so on and so forth. Your answer will be Yes for most of those things which are not common with you. That is human nature, called effortless thinking. We simplify decision making through such associations. Those associations are not always wrong, but are not always right either.

Pursuing a career in some highly competitive field takes lots of sacrifices. Some folks begin to believe the world owes them for their sacrifices. I’ve found such folks to be the ones who bring disrepute to an entire field with their sense of entitlement. But there are always lots of folks at or above that level who do not believe the world owes them for the sacrifices they made. Such people had better reasons for sacrifices from the get go. In my observation, ironically the boring rationale of sacrificing for family, parents, or self results in much kinder professionals. Rather than the rationale of sacrificing to save the world.

During a cricket match sometime back two guys ran into each other while trying to take a catch near the boundary. One of them fell unconscious, while the other one was barely making sounds. None of us had medical or first aid training, yet everyone tried to help. Except for three guys who didn’t even bother despite belonging to the team of the injured players, and stayed far away in the seating area. All three of them were doctors! But I know many doctors who would have jumped in to help, so I was only dismayed by those three individuals, not their profession.

Comment

Education is important in my family (for both men and women). Therefore, I was personally encouraged to study and get a degree(s) beyond high school (which I did). I also especially enjoyed the subject matter I was studying post-high school. In my view, it is important and relevant to think critically in order to broaden one's horizons in an ever-changing world, whether one has a degree(s) or not. The major for which I studied is applicable to many fields, therefore, in a sense I am currently working in the field that I studied in.
                          Shine on the world like loving sunlight (Rumi).
                          The most important principle of environment: you are not the only element (Mahavira)
                          Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without
                          (Buddha).

Comment

Working...
                          X