Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obama View Post
    Eastern Dresses
    Eastern Dresses and Bobby1 ...You Both are making Good arguments for and against 4 Year Degrees including the OP
    Santiago TheShepherd
    Santiago TheShepherd ...........I love this "TheSHepherd"

I lived in Idaho where the Sheep Farmers have to go all the way to Bass/Basque Country of Spain for Shepherds to tend their Sheep in USA!.....Not saying we should encourage our kids to become Shepherds even though it was the Profession of most Prophets!....

at the same time two High School Gradutes come to mind who made it Big because of their Superb Intellect....

#1 Steve Jobs ..Founded: Apple, NeXT, Pixar; Inventions: Macintosh, iPhone, iPod........who would have thought back in the 70's that everyone in the World wants one of these products!

#2 Bill Lear actually had only Eighth Grade Education..He held some 150 patents at his death. After completing eighth grade, Lear quit school to become a mechanic and at the age of 16 joined the navy, lying about his age. During World War I, Lear studied radio and after his discharge designed the first practicable auto radio........and Founder of the Aircraft Company called by is name: LEAR JET in Wichita Kansas!
    We always quote success stories which is a very very tiny percentage. Also correlating success to not having a degree is a bit of a stretch.

How many high school graduates success stories examples can you give from say 2019? Also what about all the failures that are not documented?
    The Way of those on whom You have bestowed Your Grace, not of those who earned Your Anger, nor of those who went astray. (Al-Fatihah)

Comment

Originally posted by Eastern Dresses View Post

We always quote success stories which is a very very tiny percentage. Also correlating success to not having a degree is a bit of a stretch.

How many high school graduates success stories examples can you give from say 2019? Also what about all the failures that are not documented?
      We are not talking about merely high school, the thread is about a degree vs trades such as electrician, plumber,, pipe fitter, welder etc. These trades require 4 year apprenticeship plus education.Trades here make more money than psychologists, economists etc.

Comment

This narrative of skilled workers making tons of money keeps coming back often. Reality is, outside of some dense urban pockets and in emergencies such as getting power up and running after a hurricane, linesmen make pretty much lower middle class wages for a pretty dangerous job. Plenty of vacation days for sure, because there isnt much work normally.

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salarie...alary-by-State

Not 200K, more like 55K after 4 years of apprenticeship. Nothing wrong with that, but a college degree is a more robust pathway to stability and flexibility. North America's desis are already a pretty educated bunch and can easily aspire for a lot better.
        Simple ain't easy.

Comment

• SID_NY
          SID_NY
          Mamba Mentality
          SID_NY commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello there! Welcome back were you naraz sharaz? Get your ass back, US elections are coming again and we've a lot to discuss

I'm not sure I understand the threading, how do i reply to your post, SID_NY?
        Simple ain't easy.

Comment

• Southie
          Southie
          World Cup Fantasy Game Member
          Southie commented
          Editing a comment
          And the plot thickens.

• SID_NY
          SID_NY
          Mamba Mentality
          SID_NY commented
          Editing a comment
          you can add comment under your post which will appear under my comment. and then you can use tagging or no. another way is to copy the comment and use the "quote" option but thats more nerdy

Originally posted by queer View Post
        This narrative of skilled workers making tons of money keeps coming back often. Reality is, outside of some dense urban pockets and in emergencies such as getting power up and running after a hurricane, linesmen make pretty much lower middle class wages for a pretty dangerous job. Plenty of vacation days for sure, because there isnt much work normally.

Not 200K, more like 55K after 4 years of apprenticeship. Nothing wrong with that, but a college degree is a more robust pathway to stability and flexibility. North America's desis are already a pretty educated bunch and can easily aspire for a lot better.
        With PGE, they are making 250,000 dollars considering they are only working 8-9 months. That’s just for a lineman. Foreman, General foreman, superintendent, general superintendent make more than that. I can attest to that.
        The key to success is Sanu Ki

Comment

Originally posted by queer View Post

I am not saying from a perspective of money. The reason for my post was that earning honorable livelihood is important.
          Some kids are just not cut out for college.
          You live life the hard way, there’s honor in that.
          The key to success is Sanu Ki

Comment

plumbing, locksmith, and there are many more professions that can be opted.

Comment

Originally posted by Santiago TheShepherd View Post
              One of the biggest issues that I have seen in the desi community is not encouraging kids to become skilled workers in North America. Parents work 2 jobs to get them through college. With all the tech innovations, some job won't replaced at least 50 years from now, like plumber, welder, iron worker, wood worker, lineman etc.
              There is a special kind of breed who like to work with hands, instead of raking college debt on them, try a career plan with like a typical lineman makes 250,000 a year with union benefits, two months if vacation etc and with no college debt. So be straight with your kids and get them out of their misery
              I met a father and son duo in Italy a few years ago. They both run a shop where they repair and restore vintage Ferrari's. The old man has pictures of him with F1 legends of the time, such as Niki Lauda, Juan Manual Fangio, Bruce McLaren, Jody Scheckter, John Surtees, Gilles Villeneuve, Jackie Stewart, Jim Clark, James Hunt & Enzo Ferrari all throughout his modestly sized shop. Turns out, the old man had developed his skills over decades working for the Ferrari F1 team from the 1960's through to 83, and he has now passed all of that wealth of knowledge off to his son. His son does not have a college education, but is an excellent pair of hands when it comes to vintage cars, with incredible attention to detail.

At any point their shop has about $10m worth of inventory between 2 to 4 vintage cars. In-fact when I was visiting they had a 250 GT Tour de France in their shop, a car that is alone worth about $15m today.

Between a small team of 7, including the old man and his son, they charge hundreds of thousands of euros just in labor, their annual turnover is in the millions, even though to the average joe, they are just mechanics.
              "Some people believe that necessity is the mother of Invention, but they're wrong, its War" - James May

Comment

Working...
              X