Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChaChoo
    replied
    Good approach ! ... if you don't mind me asking where was this in PK or abroad? Fresh graduates though might find this approach a little hard to follow and back-up... but for someone with some years of exp should be able to do this...

Leave a comment:

• Lucid Chaotic
    replied
    yeah - I see your point...

but I was talking more about just sending your resume' to various companies anyway even if they're not hiring. If you've done your research and are familiar with the company's business, then I don't see any harm in sending your resume' over to them. Make sure you word your cover letter in a way that brings out your enthusiasm to work for the company and broadly define your interests and competencies, and leave it open in the end to let the person reading the letter decide if there's anything that they think you may be suitable for. I've done this in the past with three multinationals, out of which all three times I got invited for an interview, and then was offered a position by two of the three... so that should be a cheering anecdote

Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

• ChaChoo
    replied
    You do have a point and I never realized that it was such a high percentage. But at the same time US job culture and approach is very different from Pakistan, I can see one doing the things that you mentioned in US but I can't see the same approach being used in PK. Small example getting information in US is easy, getting any kind of information in PK is a monumental task and sometimes not even doable. If my statement is true what will be the alternative source/approach for finding a job?

Leave a comment:

• Lucid Chaotic
    replied
    Hey Chachoo...

even in North America, about 75% of the jobs are never advertised. I read a survey that reported that 48% of the jobs get filled by personal contacts, followed by alumni contacts at 24%, cold contacts at 23%.

I guess this is the difference between passive and active job search. In active job search, you have to make an effort by trying to contact the company for possible opportunities even though there may be no vacancies at the time. I personally have done this, and lemme just say that the result could be worth it in the end!

Leave a comment:

• ChaChoo
    started a topic How do you find them?

How do you find them?

I caught a little bit of a program called "Career Online" last night on GEO TV... free TV at the moment in North America I might add... one of the guests in the program said that only 25% of the actual open positions are advertised in Pakistan... I was surprised; do you think that is true? If so how the hec is one supposed to find out a job in Pakistan? Why won't employers advertise open positions? I guess we should also take in the account the type of jobs and perspective candidates/audience...
Working...
X