Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phd Vs MS

preference? why?
    Din-e-Mullah fee sabeelillah fasad (Allama Iqbal)

Depends on what your career and academic goals are. Phd if done well and at the right time gives a lot in terms of been disciplined and the ability to be self motivating. On the other hand there are lots of masters who have done exceptionally well.

So it really depends on what you want to do.

Comment

time factor

you could be earning money at a real job and acquiring job experience

or

earning a phd allowance and working towards the phd degree

depends

Comment

Masters, wanted to be in practical business life and not academia for longer. Did toy around with the idea of getting DBA (doctoroate in business admin) afterwards but did not feel it propelled me in the right direction.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

^^ Peer ji thanks for clearing it up, I always thought it meant Doing Business As....
          Weather forecast for tonight: dark.

Comment

Kaleem i just wanted to make sure ppl dinn confuse it with Database administrator
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

The idea of doing a phd in Labor Relations is very tempting to me but I really don't know how useful it's gonna be in terms of employment other than a lecturer.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraudz:
                Masters, wanted to be in practical business life and not academia for longer.
                I think thats pretty much true. Plus the time factor somone said up there. But technological doctorls can be part of both academia and practical field. Mostly academia but still they have to have practical knowledge in order to keep up.
                The will of Allah will not take you where the Grace of Allah will not protect you.

Comment

Finished Masters... currently pursuing a Ph.D.
                  The aim is to be able to contribute to and ultimately direct corporate research initiatives.

W.R.T. academia, I've been teaching for the past five years and its something that challenges me to learn more and hence the decision to pursue a Ph.D. came out of personal as well as professional contentment.
                  For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

i have done two MSc's... have a long term aim to persue for a PhD, but wasnt interested to be too acedemic so started working. but still have urge for it. I am not keen on teaching, i love being in the field and practically invloved and enjoy my work.

is it a good thing ???
                    پاکستان پاکستان

Comment

I don’t know why people stereotype a Ph.D. and so called “Practical” experience on other ends of the spectrum. I think there’s a point on the continuum where you’d establish yourself as a professional. For me, my goals are to contribute fully in a research based environment for a large organization, and as I do so, I will make use of teaching opportunities to share my knowledge with others. In fact this is how I got into teaching in the first place – gained a lot of work experience in the field, and based on my experience with organizations like Cisco, IBM and Microsoft, I got my first teaching stints at community colleges… from there, I decided to pursue a more research oriented career track. It isn’t that bad afterall… there are plenty of people out there who don’t work in academia after getting a Ph.D. – I personally intend to take a few years off from teaching every now and then to work in the field. The courses I teach at university, I rush through theory in the first half of the course, and spend time discussing applications using case studies, personal work narratives etc. It works really well with the students, but this would definitely be hard to do if you were confined to a pure teaching environment.

In the end what I'm saying is its really upto you if you want to putrefy in a tenure track teaching position, or make something of your Ph.D. to thrive in a dynamic corporate/academic environment.
                      For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

I think Masters will work out just fine for me. For someone who is as scatterbrained as I am, I think its best for me as it doesnt require as much detail-orientation, and is broader in perspective (in my view atleast) than a PhD.
                        "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

Comment

In practical life you dont even need Masters. A good 2/1 or first class degree is more then enough. But I have realized that materialistic countries like USA or Canada (and some other) people prefer more educated people (though exceptionally Ph.D).

I have done one year of PhD (part time) & now I am holding it because at this moment I dont have much time to do any research. My purpose of doing PhD is completely to educated myself & assess my capabilities instead of using my PhD for job or commecial purpose.

My father actually finished his DBA (Doctor of business Admin) when he was 47 though his research was paid by his employer but I think he was doing very well without having his Ph.D.

So you dont need to do PhD unless u are really after it.

Comment

^ I just don't want to leave school

Comment

thats really interesting how ppl come to conclusion that after doing PhD you progress towards acadmics and its not so practicle!!... being a PhD student i know its not the case, it all depends what way you wanna go.... Time factor is very importatnt, if you can afford to spend about 3 years (at least) after graduation then you should consider it... career wise its very important to choose such topic which will help you after fnishing it... its true that in pakistan you have limited career prospects if you are doing PhD and the only open field is acadmics.... but out of the country it can be very useful. As far as being in the field and acquiring experience is concern, for my field I found that it gave me more crucial expereince, which i could get in the field in 10 years!!
                              A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

Comment

Working...
                              X