• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Astronomy miscallaneous

Explain the nothingness
    Originally posted by TLK View Post
    Nice thread.

BTW, Big Bang did not happen because of a black hole started spewing mass out of it. Big Bang happened, literally out of nothingness (more of this later, maybe).

Mass of black holes are usually measured in Sun Mass. So 0.4 could mean 0.4 times the mass of sun, but it seems pretty low for a black hole, especially the one that could be in the center of a galaxy

Comment

Originally posted by Southie View Post

Big bang is confusing. Could use your help. I recall you were a funda man on this topic.
      Originally posted by philosophy View Post
      Explain the nothingness
      I am no funda man, but love to read about such stuff.

Philo, Zero is nothingness, at least that much we all can agree. With that in mind, let me try to explain big bang.

Unlike chemical reactions that can be reversible or irreversible, all mathematical equations are reversible. Physics is nothing but math. When a matter particle and equivalent anti-matter particle hit each other, annihilation happens, meaning that with a burst of energy and emission of light (photon), the matter and antimatter particle vanish.

if A is matter, -A is anti-matter, P is photon and E is energy then,

A + (-A) = P + E
      if we take all the right side to left side then
      0 = -A + A + P + E
      That means that from nothingness (Zero), a particle, anti-particle, a burst of energy and light can be produced.

- What are the chances of it happening? Extremely rare, very close to zero, but still its a finite value, which means that over the period of very large amount of time, it could happen.
      - Can it always result in a universe? No. Many of the times, the energy produced is not sufficient and both particle and anti-particle can annihilate back into nothingness. So having a full blown universe out of nothingness is an extremely rare phenomena that nature my never duplicate.

Nature produced so many particle/anti-particle pairs that partcles formed the visible part of the universe. Some physicist believe that there is entire section of the universe that is formed out of antimatter.

I have dumb down the explanation not because you are not smart folk but I am not smart enough to keep it simple and short without over simplifying the explanation.
      People are afraid of what they don't understand

Comment

If coincidences intrigue you, you may find this cool.

Was in the middle of reading "The Upanishads" by Eknath Easearan". I mark the page the old fashioned way, fold top corner - happened to be of page 121. Let me quote the first para

" in the wisdom of ancient India, the universe cam forth from the invisible and unchanging Reality like the uttering of a meaningful sound: mystical speech ( which is why the Vedas are thought of existing long before humans or anything else). It was not a Big Bang but a big Om; and it is with this image that the Upanishad named Chandogya, "the uprising of sacred song, " begins."

I was tickled by the coincidence.
        Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

Comment

One question:

Is the Big Bang supposed to have occurred for each existing galaxy? Or for entire universe? Looks like the latter.

So several galaxies formed after Big Bang. Each with a black hole in the center? Sometimes galaxies merge (rarely). And form a more massive black hole? Whose size grows till equilibrium attained?

PS very nice explanation. Makes sense.

Comment

Wow, our brains can't even grasp such abstract concepts. Were so limited.
            Is there an accessible read on this?? Like a book.

PS rnt you a smart cookie tlk !!
            I am no funda man, but love to read about such stuff.

Philo, Zero is nothingness, at least that much we all can agree. With that in mind, let me try to explain big bang.

Unlike chemical reactions that can be reversible or irreversible, all mathematical equations are reversible. Physics is nothing but math. When a matter particle and equivalent anti-matter particle hit each other, annihilation happens, meaning that with a burst of energy and emission of light (photon), the matter and antimatter particle vanish.

if A is matter, -A is anti-matter, P is photon and E is energy then,

A + (-A) = P + E
            if we take all the right side to left side then
            0 = -A + A + P + E
            That means that from nothingness (Zero), a particle, anti-particle, a burst of energy and light can be produced.

- What are the chances of it happening? Extremely rare, very close to zero, but still its a finite value, which means that over the period of very large amount of time, it could happen.
            - Can it always result in a universe? No. Many of the times, the energy produced is not sufficient and both particle and anti-particle can annihilate back into nothingness. So having a full blown universe out of nothingness is an extremely rare phenomena that nature my never duplicate.

Nature produced so many particle/anti-particle pairs that partcles formed the visible part of the universe. Some physicist believe that there is entire section of the universe that is formed out of antimatter.

I have dumb down the explanation not because you are not smart folk but I am not smart enough to keep it simple and short without over simplifying the explanation.

Comment

Southie, yes the latter part. Whole universe was formed out of one big bang.

Philo, read 'Brief History of Time' by Stephen Hawking. A very good read and very simple to follow.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kaka_in_usa View Post
                  Old style light bulbs are banned in India. They have some new energy saver light bulb which is like curled neon tubes and emits white light while consuming very little energy. Those new light bulbs are called CFL here, they are also called energy saver bulbs.

PS. Quite expensive they are but they come with one year warranty.
                  Originally posted by Southie View Post
                  Kaka knows best.

To add to above - I think Compact Flouroscent Lamp? ( don't know how to go to the google without being the logged out)
                  thank you!

TLK..your post about "Nothing"
                  Aada Ganja...Poora Khabis...
                  Nawaz Sharif...Shahbaz Sharif :D

Comment

Jerry Seinfelds show was also about Nothing. He must have either known the significance of Om or reaad TLK's post.

Comment

Black hole breaks records, swallows up scientific theory – CBC

"Supermassive black hole at centre of a quasar is 12 billion times more massive than the sun. Scientists say they have discovered a black hole so big that it challenges the theory about how they grow. Scientists said this black hole was formed about 900 million years after the Big Bang."
                      Shine on the world like loving sunlight (Rumi).
                      The most important principle of environment: you are not the only element (Mahavira)
                      Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without
                      (Buddha).

Comment

Ganymede, Jupiter's largest moon, has ocean lurking below: NASA – CBC

“150 km under the surface could lie more water than on all of Earth. The largest moon in the solar system harbours a salty ocean beneath its icy shell, the latest member to join a growing club of watery moons, NASA said Thursday.”
                        The most important principle of environment: you are not the only element (Mahavira)
                        (Buddha).

Comment

Hubble issues 25th birthday image – BBC

“The Hubble Space Telescope has celebrated its silver anniversary with a picture featuring a spectacular vista of young stars blazing across a dense cloud of gas and dust. The "Westerlund 2" cluster of stars is located about 20,000 light-years away in the constellation Carina.”
                          (Buddha).

Comment

Astronomers recently discovered, what they call the biggest space structure. It's a 1.8 billion light years wide void. The mass density in that void is 80% less than anywhere else in the universe.

Comment

Astronomers recently discovered, what they call the biggest space structure. It's a 1.8 billion light years wide void. The mass density in that void is 80% less than anywhere else in the universe.
                              I'm simple.
                              I like that a "void" is considered a "structure".

Comment

Originally posted by Muzna View Post
                                I'm simple.
                                I like that a "void" is considered a "structure".
                                It must be a very structured void, I guess

Comment

Working...
                                X