Astronomy miscallaneous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Astronomy miscallaneous

Had 20 min during grocery shopping by the person who reports to me. Was reading Astronomy magazine. Some random findings from memory

Our galaxy is spiral. The outermost portion is 125000 light years from center.
    Each galaxy has a black hole. I didn't know that. I thought that the Universe came from big bang theory. When stuff escaped from one back hole.
    The number of stars in a galaxy proportional to black hole Mass of each galaxy.

The CFL emits light that is found nowhere in our galaxy. While lack of infrared is good - no heating - the light being different may be damaging.

In summer we get plenty of natural light. So ok to use cfl. No heat emission. Good.

In winter we don't get enough light. Plus incandescent light bulb emit heat. So heats home. So use those in winter. Clever.

Sorry - the issue was condominium free. Though I don't condon it.
    Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

Re: Astronomy miscallaneous

every thing is a spiral.

What kind of black hole let stuff out ?
    ﺃﷲ ﻧﯣﺮ ﺇﺴﻣﺇﯣﺇﺕ ﯣﺇﻠﺄﺮﺾ_ Best cheese-maker of monkVille

Comment

My bad. I thought the same thing and was confused. How can there be an existing black hole within each galaxy? Maybe I read it wrong, Mr. Monk.

Comment

once I saw the guy(on tv) who discover first black hole. It was amazing.
        He sat infront of old style monitor night after night for 8 years.
        Then he noticed a light distortion moving across give funky magnifying effect to its surrounding.
        It was amazing. Some thing so powerful with such a small visual impact.
        ﺃﷲ ﻧﯣﺮ ﺇﺴﻣﺇﯣﺇﺕ ﯣﺇﻠﺄﺮﺾ_ Best cheese-maker of monkVille

Comment

^ 8 years! Good for him he found one.

Will try to read the same mag when we go shopping next weekend. And provide clarification.

Monkster is a Physicist.

Comment

ohhh...interesting thread

What is CFL?
            Aada Ganja...Poora Khabis...
            Nawaz Sharif...Shahbaz Sharif :D

Comment

Originally posted by aaliyahkhan1 View Post
              ohhh...interesting thread

What is CFL?
              Old style light bulbs are banned in India. They have some new energy saver light bulb which is like curled neon tubes and emits white light while consuming very little energy. Those new light bulbs are called CFL here, they are also called energy saver bulbs.

PS. Quite expensive they are but they come with one year warranty.
              Tu bhi villain ban sakta tha, "BILLA" ban sakta tha.....

Comment

Kaka knows best.

To add to above - I think Compact Flouroscent Lamp? ( don't know how to go to the google without being the logged out)

Comment

Mr. Monk

Subject: your post 5.
                  Reason did not reply with quote- The Monkster don't care to be quoted.

My bad. Use of "escaped from black hole ( dduring big bang) was my text.

Anyway, as promised, while my assistant was shopping, I took notes.

Reference: Astronomy (magazine) September 2013. P. 9. David Elder.

"Inside the galaxy's nucleus lies a dormant supermasive black hole that once was a massive giant".

So each galaxy has its own black hole. Dormant - so doesn't grow anymore.nothing enter or escapes it?

Comment

Same issue p. 34. Q/A format. David Inui.

There is " direct correlation between mass of a supermassive black hole and the stellar content of its host galaxy bulge"

Stellar content means amount of stars.

How to measure stellar content? One of 3 ways.

1) determine mass of Bulge ( bulge consists of stars).
                    2) measure light from stars
                    3) measure spread of random motion of stars due to the bulges gravitational attraction. Thiss also known as velocity dispersion.

Comment

It has been found that method 3 best correlation. Larger the mass of black hole greater the velocity dispersion. Greater the number of stars.

For perspective milky way black hole mass 0.4 million ( tons?). Velocity dispersion 100 km / s.

M60 2 billion tons. 350 km per s.

Not sure if mass unit is tons. Didn't notes that.
                      Our milky way is puny compared to M 60.

Comment

Why this correlation exists. Hypothesis: quasar feedback.

"When galaxies merge, their bulges all merge. New larger central black hole swallows lots of gas ( now Exxon popped to mind). Friction and radioactive processes cause material funneling toward BH to glow ss a bright quasar. The quasar glows till its powerful winds and jets heat up and/ or expel all the gas in the galaxy, so it cant make any new stars or feed the black hole. "

Ok so the BH stops growing. Kind of a dynamic equilibrium - fron Physical Chemists POV. ( do that is why Space is vacuum- all gases expelled).

Comment

Nice thread.

BTW, Big Bang did not happen because of a black hole started spewing mass out of it. Big Bang happened, literally out of nothingness (more of this later, maybe).

Mass of black holes are usually measured in Sun Mass. So 0.4 could mean 0.4 times the mass of sun, but it seems pretty low for a black hole, especially the one that could be in the center of a galaxy
                          People are afraid of what they don't understand

Comment

^ Thanks! The low mass was confusing. Will clariffy this next Sunday after trip tyke grocery store.

Big bang is confusing. Could use your help. I recall you were a funda man on this topic.

Comment

Good thread!
                              ''Bohat nazuk surat-e-haal hai''

Check out whats going on in hangout forums. Click to Visit

See whats up in Rendezvous. Click to visit

Head on in to Entertainment. Click to Visit

What are the good folks in Society up to? Click to Visit

What's life without culture? Click to Visit

How is your lifestyle? Click to Visit

Interested in technology and science? Click to Visit

Have feedback or issue on GS to share? Click to Visit

Comment

Working...
                              X