Captain Trevor Greene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Captain Trevor Greene

No documentary that I recently watched made me cry except this one http://youtu.be/HLkgE1xKMLg

I'm sure everyone remembers the Canadian Forces Captain Trevor Greene who's brain was nearly split into two when an Afghan man striked him in the head with an axe in 2006. He even lost some grey matter in Afghanistan. The attack left him paralysed in that his motor cortex, the part of the brain that controls movement, was severely damaged. He could barely lift a finger and was told he'd never walk again. But today he can eat and drink with his own hands, stand up on his own two feet, and do as many as 30 squats. He recently began using a walking machine called a Lokomat. It supports him in a harness and moves his legs on a treadmill, slowly putting more weight on his feet. “After the fifth time, in the middle of the workout, my muscle memory came back,” Mr. Greene says. “It was like my body remembered how to walk. The sixth time it was automatic.” He still has a long way to go before he can walk independently.

His survival and recovery is simply phenomenal and his brain's transformation is being researched and documented by two scientists - National Research Council neuroscientist Ryan D’Arcy and University of Victoria’s Stephen Lindsay, a cognitive psychologist. My Greene's case goes to show that the human brain is not like a computer that, when it loses a chip, the data is gone forever. Instead, other parts of the brain take over. New connections between his brain and body slowly replace the ones he lost.

The study is ongoing and has not been published yet. I am really looking forward to reading the findings. A normal functioning brain, something we take for granted, is a huge naymat of Allah swt Alhumdulillah.
    GS - It's all about enjoying the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.

Re: Captain Trevor Greene

The location of the motor cortex in the human brain:

1a.gif

New regions in Trevor's brain that have taken up the role of the motor cortex:

brain-scan.jpg
    GS - It's all about enjoying the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.

Comment

BBC thank you so much for sharing this documentary. I was teary eyed watching it - didn't get to finish it yet had to come to work. The most heartfelt part was when Trevor said he would apologize to his assailant. What a brave man he is. His story is marvelous and shows how much we have to be grateful for towards Allah (SWT) and also that nothing is in our control.

Comment

That is so moving
        Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Comment

wow!
          Main to is waastay chup hon kay tamasha na banay
          Tu samajhta hai mujhe tujh se gila kuch bhi nahi...

Comment

Dont have the stomach to watch the video.

"The most heartfelt part was when Trevor said he would apologize to his assailant."

A truly great human being.
            Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

Comment

Working...
            X